PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450 XC questions???

TN94z
09-20-2004, 10:11 AM
I have been debating on whether or not I want to MX or XC....and as much as I like to air it out..I don't want to set the quad up for MX and then not be able to ride trails with my buddies on the weekends. So, needless to say, I think I have decided on the XC setup. Or do you guys think I could have the MX setup and still trail ride on the weekends? I figured the MX setup would make it too wide for trail riding. Now to my question....what should I look into as far as setup goes? I know there won't be as many mods needed as there would be in MX..I am looking to know everything from the number plates to suspension. I have an 04 YFZ450 and I am in Western TN. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TN94z
09-20-2004, 10:51 AM
But if I can set it up for MX and still ride trails...that would probably be best. There are more MX races in my area. The XC races are further away.

southbeach14
09-20-2004, 07:07 PM
get +2 a-arms, and a adjustable axle, and you need to sets of rims 4+1 for the woods and stock 3+2 for mx

Bill Fuller
09-23-2004, 07:36 PM
My ATV's have always been setup for the woods and when I race MX I don't change a thing.These new quads are very stable right off the showroom floor.I would spend my money first on suspension.You can not ride the YFZ as fast as it will go with out suspension.I would take my XC quad and go to the track anytime.If you are looking for a new MX track in the making try www.143offroad.com they are planning on riding and laying out a new MX track and need volunteers.There will also be a MSWS harescramble on Oct 31.Check out www.MSWS.org for more races.You dont need the wider a arms or the axle to have a blast on the track.I would buy a swing arm before I bought a arms.JMO

dhines
09-24-2004, 07:36 AM
If you have the money, you can do what I've done - go with +1 long travel arms and shocks and then you can run 4-1 rims for the trails and 3-2 for the track. You still won't be quite as wide or stable for MX as the guys with the +2's or +3's, but as Fuller said, you should have plenty unless you decide to become a very serious MX racer. Also, make sure you tell your shock manufacturer that you want your valving setup for something between XC and MX.

BTW - I would get the a-arms before the swinger. If you saw Fuller ride, you wouldn't take advice from him... :blah: