PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed front sprocket.. now what

zccopwrx
09-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Well after a long day riding, on the way home I noticed a herky-jerky when I got on the gas.. Well a quick look down near my front sprocket told the truth.. Im missing like 2/3 of my teeth!

Dont know when it happened, how it happened, but its surely not moving until I get new chain/sprocket.

Now, I have a 15 tooth (stock), and I am wondering if I should go down to a 14, or up to a 16.. I dont think I want to loose any more power (lost a little low end with my LRD exhaust), but I dont want to too much top speed.. How big of a difference will I see if I go down to a 14 compared to a 16? In terms of MPH?

Thanks
Dave

Dust_1503
09-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Your pretty lucky, I was in a race and sheared 4 teeth off a 16 tooth front and the sprocket came of the shaft striping some off the retainer teeth. The chain ejected too it was a mess i was also lucky i didn't destroy my case, worst part of it was that i was doing really good and that had to happen. As far as your question I do know that its a big difference between 15 and 16 on the bottom end top end there prolly is too but i never really had enough room to wind out with the 16.

JDiablo
09-20-2004, 03:28 PM
with the loss of the low end,the 14th sprocket will make up for the,the lower the sprocket number,more low end,higher the sprocket number,more top end

pead_24
09-20-2004, 06:20 PM
id say go with the 14 tooth front sprocket works great for me :blah:

nosliw
09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by zccopwrx
Well after a long day riding, on the way home I noticed a herky-jerky when I got on the gas.. Well a quick look down near my front sprocket told the truth.. Im missing like 2/3 of my teeth!

Dont know when it happened, how it happened, but its surely not moving until I get new chain/sprocket.

Now, I have a 15 tooth (stock), and I am wondering if I should go down to a 14, or up to a 16.. I dont think I want to loose any more power (lost a little low end with my LRD exhaust), but I dont want to too much top speed.. How big of a difference will I see if I go down to a 14 compared to a 16? In terms of MPH?

Thanks
Dave

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/cdale.htm

^ that might give you an idea of loss and gain in MPH

make sure to select your quad at the bottom first

:D

Toadz400
09-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/cdale.htm

^ that might give you an idea of loss and gain in MPH

make sure to select your quad at the bottom first

:D

Hmm...I think that is off a little bit, seems like the MPH is a little high for 1st and 5th gear.

My 400ex with a 14t front sprocket and 18" rear tires feels like it's doing 20mph in 5th gear...and I don't think it does 20 in first gear, oh well, no way you can expect them to be dead on.

zccopwrx - go with the 14t, awesome low end with it and the top end doesn't suffer THAT bad. As long as you stay with 20" rear tires, you should be fine for top end.

zccopwrx
09-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Ok, I run 22" Holeshot XCTs in the rear..

Do you think the sprocket kits (front, rear, chain) kits on ebay are worth it? They seem very affordable, but I am afraid of the quality.

Any ideas? I want to order it today.