PDA

View Full Version : car problem

chucked
09-20-2004, 08:56 AM
OK i got a 98 dodge neon, has about 60k miles on it. I have what sounds to be an exhaust leak out of 1 of the cylinders, the check engine light comes on, i delete it, about week later it comes back, I delete it again. Ive been doing this for about a month and a half now, the code is "EVAP emmission control system leak (small)" I wouldnt think an exhaust leak would make an engine code come on, unless it was large and making the engine run lean. Ive attempted to take a look at the exhaust manifold but I havent had the time yet, to dissassemble the whole back of the engine to get the cover off (which is what I will have to do) Anyone have any ideas?

PWM_330EX
09-20-2004, 11:28 AM
The Evaporative emission control system recycles the fuel vapors from your gas tank -- has nothing to do with exhaust manifolds.

It's probably one of the many valves in that system that's shot and I would think a good scan tool would give more info than just telling you what system is messed up. Any of the chain stores like Autozone, etc. should be tell you what needs to be replaced.

It's for a Toyota, but see this regarding ECM controlled systems:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf