PDA

View Full Version : Gear Selection Problem

UK450R
09-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Has anyone had problems with gear selection on their 450R.

Mine has started giving problems in 4th & 5th. Either not wanting to select, or jumping out very quickly after changing up.

I’m thinking it maybe something to do with the clutch out of balance (hence why only at high gears/revs). A fiend had similar problem with a Yam 450.

Any ideas???

asdf450r
09-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Mine never seems to want to go into neutral while running.... if i sit there for a minute or so i can eventually get it in. The funny thing is though, once i kill it it slips into neutral like butter.

ridered-450r
09-20-2004, 02:08 PM
mine done the same thing and i took mine back to the honda shop and they said they couldnt duplicate the problem and couldnt find nothing wrong

spindles
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
mine too

hard time shifting 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th
have not brought it back yet but i am very interested to hear what they tell you. please let me know.
i'm not sure i want the mec tearing it down. 15-20 hours on it only

B.A.
09-22-2004, 11:25 PM
I have had the same problems with my 04 trx450r, i can not get it to go in to neutral while running but very easy while the engine is shut off, and some times hard to get it to go into 3rd or 4th, also had it to jump out of 3rd or 4th while riding. So i have taken the bike to two honda dealers and the first dealer went out and rode it and said it didn't do anything while he rode it and they would not tear the transmission apart unless the problem happened with them, so i took it to another dealer and they rode and couldn't find it acting up at all, except they did find it hard to find neutral while the bike was running but gave some kinda of excuss of it being normal. They said if they did tear the transmission apart and there was nothing wrong that i would have to pay the labor of tearing it down, which is BS, but said since i have brought it in and they have a file of me bringing it in and i do have problems later down the road after warrente they would fix the problem for free. I will probably ended up having to buy parts for my transmission!!!! i am thinking about calling Honda my self and explaining my problem, and see were that gets me. good luck to ya.

Martin Blair
09-22-2004, 11:28 PM
I dont ahve any rpbolems with my 04 its great, the only thing i can say is i miss 2nd alot but im getting better I think the pull is a bit longer then the 400ex from 1st to second, but from 2nd up is fine no problems, and nutral is easy to find.

UK450R
09-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Took it back to the dealer – ended up being the selector fork broken.

Still under warranty, so they are going to change the whole box.

Only problem is that parts are on back order, so it won’t be ready for the weekend.

dixie1
10-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Mines going to the shop today after work...It won't shift into 3rd while your on the gas. Off the start gate I cant grab 3rd unless I back off...1st to 2nd no problem...just cruising around,no problems.

allmixedup047
10-11-2004, 11:09 PM
i like not being able to hit neutral while im trying to ride.:blah: it felt like mine was having trouble shifting every once and a while and the seal went out in my shifter, i took it to the dealer and it was under warranty and they fixed it. i dont know if that was it or not but i havnt had any trouble again.