PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle license

muddy400EX
09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
i know you gotta be 18 to get a motorcycle over a certain cc but im wonderin if i could get it at 16. would i just take the normal motocylce test or would i have to do more than that. im wantin to know cuz when i turn 16 i wanna get a sportbike.

WOracing
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
you and like 7816578548 people in my area..i think you only have to be 16 but dont quote me on that

sam the brave
09-19-2004, 05:45 PM
temp license is at 16 u take a 20 question test and if u get 14 right the temp licence is ures u can ride from 6 am to 6 pm on that and 6 months later u get the real license

derekhonda
09-19-2004, 05:55 PM
in indiana you can get your temp motorcycle license at 15 y/o

WOracing
09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave
temp license is at 16 u take a 20 question test and if u get 14 right the temp licence is ures u can ride from 6 am to 6 pm on that and 6 months later u get the real license

wait so all you need to do is take a test...?

Syrus
09-19-2004, 06:07 PM

Yep, and i think your limited to the bike size at first, must be under 400 or 500cc. If ur just starting out i wouldnt agree on buying a crotch rocket, an enduro would be perfect for the first 6 months, then go from there. Just my 2 cents.

sam the brave
09-19-2004, 07:33 PM
yup just a test and u can get a 600cc bike at 16 and thats all u will ever need they are fine and street bikes are much more stable that the dirt bikes

lil400exman
09-20-2004, 07:08 AM
LMAO! you all a 16 for a bike like a R6 the insurance would be 300+ dollars a month. And its required. I wanted to get a racer but then looked at the insurance and i dont feel lke throwing 3,000 dollars away a year on a bike. So til 18 get a "slow" bike maybe look at a older nighthawk or something. But let me tell you almost all street-bikes are not slow! some are jut much faster than others! i took a stock nighthawk out the other day and let me tell you- that bike will do 130mph with NO PROBLEM. that is fast enough!

Regular_Joe
09-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Currently the US has no displacement restrictions that I know of. Europe does for the most part. Here in the US you can get your permit, go buy a Hayabusa, and go cruising no questions asked. Kinda dumb IMO.

You have to be 16 to get your permit. The rules are exactly the same as a car, at least in NY. You have a written test, and that gets you your permit. With a permit, you just have to be within 1/4 mile of another driver w/ a motorcycle license while driving (on a bike or in a car even). Then you sign up for the road test. Pass that and you have your license. At the road test someone has to be there to drive the instructor in a regular car while you drive the bike. He will keep giving you instructions (go 2 blocks, take a right, and pull over, etc, etc.).

If you really want to bike, take the MSF course and go from there. It will be money well spent. Plus its an automatic reduction on your insurance. Most states give you your motorcycle license (ie. the dmv road test is waived) if you take the class and already have your car license.

As far as a sportbike, I don't think you realize what the bikes are capable of. They are ballz out fast. The 600cc bikes do 70 mph in first gear, and the 1000cc bikes do about 100 mph in first, and can wheelie by throttle anywhere under 100mph in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. Totally insane and overkill for street driving. I sold mine because it really wasnt' fun .... and in town driving was a *****. Traded it in for an SV650. Much better all around bike.

Also the insurance will kill you. Your looking at $3,000 a year for the average guy. At 16 your probably going to be pushing $5,000 a year. Nothing the average person can afford.

IMO get a Ninja 250, 500, or a Suzuki GS500F. Those are the only bikes that you could probably afford. Plus as a newbie they are great learning bikes.

4punksdad
09-21-2004, 08:17 PM
regular joe added a bunch of good info you should consider. I would urge you not to get a crotch rocket as a first bike. You will be tempted to speed and cops already have an eye out for faired bikes with flashy color schemes. A dual sport is a good starter bike. Be careful on the road. Having too little power can get you in as much trouble as having too much. Some of the best road riders started in the dirt.

Rdhanded2
09-22-2004, 08:13 AM
In Illinois, if you are under 18, you can get only ride a bike 150cc or smaller. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may receive your motorcycle license only after retaining your motorcycle instruction permit for a minimum of three months, provide documentation of successful completion of an IDOT Motorcycle Rider Education Course and successfully pass a drive test. Here, the motorcycle driving tests are not open rode courses. They have a course to take at the DMV. It includes cones, fast stops, u-turns, swerves, 90 degree left turns, etc. They don't follow you in another vehicle here.

86350x
09-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Similar here, but for the first year your supposed to ride with someone else that has the full cycle endorsement.

It's not really enforced locally though.:confused: