PDA

View Full Version : 400 Ex HMF Exhaust

Cool Honda Man
09-19-2004, 12:08 AM
For those people who have HMF exhaust on their 400 ex's I just wanted to know is it worth my $$$$ for that system or should I go with something else. I also found it hard to believe that you gain 8hp with that system. Thanks

Mobile Dyno
09-19-2004, 04:21 AM
I sell HMF and when we sell a pipe it is dyno tested. To be honest with you from the gains that I have seen on the dyno and what HMF's graphs show, they are close. HMF is a good pipe. The slip-on is a fast way to get some low end Hp. The header will bring some top end back. We have had gains from 3-4 Hp with a slip-on and 4-5 with a header. It's not all about the Hp. We have had gains of 2-4 ft-lbs of Tq. Thats were you will notice the difference. For the money HMF will give you the power you need. :D Hope this helps?

sickmojave
09-19-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Mobile Dyno
I sell HMF and when we sell a pipe it is dyno tested. To be honest with you from the gains that I have seen on the dyno and what HMF's graphs show, they are close. HMF is a good pipe. The slip-on is a fast way to get some low end Hp. The header will bring some top end back. We have had gains from 3-4 Hp with a slip-on and 4-5 with a header. It's not all about the Hp. We have had gains of 2-4 ft-lbs of Tq. Thats were you will notice the difference. For the money HMF will give you the power you need. :D Hope this helps?

well that's good to hear ;)

hondatv
09-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Have you dyno'd any big blocks (500ex) yet? I'm running an X6 now and need to quiet it down some. Which motor will they work better on a 440ex or 502ex or both? How well will a slip on do on a 440ex?

Cool Honda Man
09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks Mobile dyno! Are the spark arresters "forest service approved"? Also do i need to change the jets?

Thanks, :D

sickmojave
09-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Yes and Yes ;)

Mobile Dyno
09-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Cool Honda Man, Yes the spark arrestors are forest approved and when you put a slip-on pipe on, yes you will need to rejet your bike. Hope this helps.

Cool Honda Man
09-21-2004, 09:54 PM
If i wanted to could I buy the slip-on now and when i had the money bought the header later?

Thanks

sickmojave
09-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Cool Honda Man
If i wanted to could I buy the slip-on now and when i had the money bought the header later?

Thanks

yes but you have to ship the slip-on back so they can make the changes.

LazeR
09-22-2004, 01:34 AM
I'll let you know how the slip-on is in like 2 weeks when i get mine :) If your gonna do it, go through C&D, Great service

sideways
09-22-2004, 04:00 PM
i've got a HMF powercore 4 (slip on) on my 400ex, love the sound and definately noticed a difference in power. i would definately reccomend it to anyone.

sickmojave
09-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sideways
i've got a HMF powercore 4

:huh Are you sure about that?:confused:

hondarider2006
09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sideways
i've got a HMF powercore 4 (slip on) on my 400ex, love the sound and definately noticed a difference in power. i would definately reccomend it to anyone.

lol, man thats a FMF powercore 4 your talking about. I had one of them when I first got my bike, and didn't like it what so ever. The HMF is a MUCH better pipe imo.

sideways
09-23-2004, 03:11 PM
whoops

and that ends my long line of bad post replys

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
hey mobile dyno do you have any accurate decibel numbers on the pipe without the quiet core,and with the quiet core?thanks

LazeR
09-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
hey mobile dyno do you have any accurate decibel numbers on the pipe without the quiet core,and with the quiet core?thanks

I think i talked to Colby when i ordered my HMF and we talked about decibel readings....this is what he said (i'll do the best i can at getting it right) The decibel meters test 2 strokes fine and accurately, but for a 4 stroke its a different ball game because of the different type of sound. Noises in the enviroment can affect the test and cause you to be louder then you really are. If you get field tested you could not pass but someones pipe who is louder could pass because different enviroment sounds! For dirtbikes in motocross i guess they just use the decibel meter to test 2 strokes but actually bring professional sound test people or whatever to get an accurate reading for the 4 stroke dirt bikes!

on the other note ive heard that hmf with quiet core will run about 94-96db i dont know how loud without it