PDA

View Full Version : Installing 440 kit need help

440ex2001
09-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I am begining the re-assembling phase. I cant find a manual anywhere. I just need the cylinder torque specs/ head to cylinder torque specs and valve cover to head torque specs. I also need to know the procedure to get the timing correct. I have 2 mechanics out here helping but I want to make sure of everything. Thanks guys.

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Torque specs:
http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/torque.html

To set the valve timing, rotate the engine CCW by slowly turning the flywheel bolt with a 17mm socket until you line up the timing mark with the notch (looking through the small hole just up and to the left of the flywheel bolt hole, you have to remove the allen head plug). There is more than one mark, you want the one with the "T" by it. Your piston will then be at TDC. Carefully install the cam with the lobes down (use lots of assembly lube). Make sure that the bearing with the seal is on the right side (rider's right) of the cam with the seal facing out; very important. There are three index marks on the cam gear, they should be facing out. The two opposing marks should be parallel with the valve cover gasket surface, and the third should face up.

440ex2001
09-18-2004, 11:20 PM
thanks alot man ! any advice on getting the cam tensioner adjusted right?

440ex2001
09-18-2004, 11:31 PM
I meant the timing chain tensioner :)

cals400ex
09-19-2004, 12:43 AM
put the cam and sprocket on while it is on TDC. after this, you just retract the cam chain tensioner with a small screwdriver and tighten the two 8mm bolts that hold it on keeping the tensioner retracted still. after the bolts are snug, pull out the screwdriver. make sure you hear a snap. if you don't hear anything, your tensioner could be shot and may need to be replaced. this is all you do. this tensioner is self-adjusting.