PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cutting out <asap>

quadkrazy400ex
09-18-2004, 06:37 PM
my 400, mods in signature, idles fine and runs alright right off idle but if you go over 1/4 throttle, it cuts out real bad and you actually dont gain any speed its like its up against an imaginary rev limiter

i know its not in the fuel system, because it comes in and out randomly. has anyone else had this problem?

my manual says i need a peak voltage adaptor to hook up to my voltage tester to test the ignition coil, excitor, etc but i dont have one. anyone know whats wrong?

i was going to pull off the side cover and see if something visible is wrong with the exciter coil or the ignition pulse generator.

any suggestions?

sam the brave
09-18-2004, 06:55 PM
when u say cut out do u mean like bog down and no move any faster

quadkrazy400ex
09-18-2004, 08:48 PM
its like going up against a rev limiter, kinda hard to explain... it really doesnt bog down at all...just wont wind up any further than quarter throttle

cals400ex
09-19-2004, 12:47 AM
i know some people have problems with the mainjet falling out or the 2 screws holding the needle assembly in coming out.

i would swap your CDI with a stock one to rule that out first.

quadkrazy400ex
09-19-2004, 01:53 AM
ive already ruled out the cdi, i have the stock one plus a gt thunder and another brand....its not the cdi.

im pretty sure its electrical, not in the fuel system because of the way it acts, randomly cutting in and out past quarter throttle but ill check anyway

thanks

sam the brave
09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
well my bike would stop at 1 /4 throtal cuz th emain jet fell out
ceck that

Sportrax10
09-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Is your clutch slipping?

quadkrazy400ex
09-19-2004, 05:53 PM
its definitely not the clutch, as far as it being the main jet, while it is possible, i dont think thats it because of the way it acts....its in the electrical system but i was just trying to figure out if anyone has ever had an electrical problem like that. since i cant test the peak voltage of anything

sam the brave
09-19-2004, 06:02 PM
check the main jet mine just did the same thing
is ure air box lid on or off
cuz mine was on and it wont no go and fastre than bottom of 2nd
and i took it off nad it would make it to top of third and then i checked the main jet and fixed it

quadkrazy400ex
09-19-2004, 07:08 PM
ok, IT IS NOT IN THE FUEL/AIR SYSTEM!! :blah: it is an electrical problem

it is not the main jet either

cals400ex
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by *********400ex
ok, IT IS NOT IN THE FUEL/AIR SYSTEM!! :blah: it is an electrical problem

it is not the main jet either

just wondering if you checked the mainjet yet??

j/k :D

i haven't seen an electrical problem like that. i know you claim it isn't a fuel related problem, but if the bike runs good at times and other times it doesn't, you could just have a small piece of debris in the carb somewhere. this piece could be clogging an internal part at some times and not at other times. just a suggstion. hope you get it fixed.

quadkrazy400ex
09-20-2004, 05:43 PM
well...yes i did check the main jet..lol

im going to hook it up to a diognostics machine at work and see...its able to read any kind of voltage and its on a graph...
one of them sun machines that you would hook up to a car so i guess ill see what happens