PDA

View Full Version : 406

Kennethyfz450
09-18-2004, 09:44 AM
one of my close friends has a 400ex and he loves it. but as always he wants more power he has had the bike for a couple of years and had no trouble he is woundering what he could do to get some more ponies out of it and stay under the 500.00 dollar range.

i told him maybe a 406 with 11:5:1 Cp piston or JE
and a hotcam stage two
xr400 gasket

i think all of that is less than 500 dollars and should make the bike run good..

what do you all suggest?

nosliw
09-18-2004, 10:39 AM
if he hasn't already than a high flow filter and exhaust

ghak99
09-18-2004, 10:59 AM
It would help to know what mods he has alreayd done to it. A pipe and filter would be first choice, but I would go ahead and go with the 416 kit instead of the 406.

cals400ex
09-18-2004, 04:35 PM
i know i am saying this *** backwards of most people but even if the bike is all stock, you will get more gains out of a good cam/piston than you will with a pipe and filter. jetting will be needed either way probably. i would do the engine first and have it out of the way. when you get a few extra $$, you can put a pipe on which will only help the power output.

i would suggest a ross or je 406 or 416. a cheap cam that produces good power is the stage 2 hotcam. if you want more low end power, look into either the stage 1 or the xr400 cam. they do make others that are probably considered "better" quality, but the price won't be as nice either.

brif
09-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Thats just the opposite of what happened to me. I had a 10:1 wiseco 406 with a white brothers all-round cam. I run a TC exhaust with a K&N filter. Well the first year we went to silverlake. I took off the TC, put the stock pipe and lid back on it because of their sound issues. Well I tell you what, you couldn't tell it had anything done to it. It was just like stock.
If he doesn't have a pipe I'd get that first and pull the lid. If he already has a pipe I'd go ahead and make it a 416 with a cam as others have stated. If he isn't in love with the quad and wants a change he could just upgrade to a 450r if his budget allows. This will cost alot more than $500 but, maybe he could refinace his quad if it isn't paid for to justify the extra cost.