PDA

View Full Version : stripped swingarm skidplate threads???help?

sprt400ex
04-09-2002, 07:17 PM
i stripped all the threads on my swingarm for the skid plate. WHat should i do to fix this.
please help me
thanks

punker69q
04-09-2002, 07:47 PM
If there is enough steel around your stripped bolt holes, you can go to a machine shop to have them drill the holes, tap them, and make you a kind of sleeve that have thread both on the outside and the inside. That way, you will be able to use stock bolts.

You can also only drill the holes a bit bigger, tap it and use bolts that are a bit bigger.

SUPERFLY 400
04-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Buy yourself a Heli-coil kit. Come with drill bit, tap and several thread repalcement with tool to install them. I've done this a work quite a few time. Basicly you drill out the stripped holes with the supplied drill bit which is bigger. Then you tap new threads into the holes with the supplied tap. Then you screw in the Heli-coil (new threads) until flush. Screw in the orginal bolts. Very easy to do.

punker69q
04-09-2002, 08:09 PM
You can use the heli-coil kit too :)

My father have a machine shop with cnc machines, so when I need a part, I basically make it myself :blah

sprt400ex
04-09-2002, 08:13 PM
cool, thanks guys for this imediate help. thats why i love this forum. now the next question, where can i get the tap/heli coil kit??? and the one drill bit, do i need to buy a special kit for the exact size?? and will this hold if i want to really crank down on the bolts?
thanks

SUPERFLY 400
04-09-2002, 08:21 PM
go to Napa or any good auto parts store to get your Heli-coil kit. Take one of the bolts with you, to make sure you get the right kit (I dont trust those parts people ;) )Every thing you need will be in the kit (drill bit, tap, Heli-coils and T-handle to install the new threads). Your dealing with metric bolts so you will need a metric Heli-coil kit. Good luck hunting:D