PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks on 300?

jvd182
09-18-2004, 08:33 AM
well i no you have 2 buy that relocater braket but is this a good setup? with stock 450r shocks? will it make the quad sit higher? disadvantages and advantages please?

khen
09-18-2004, 11:33 AM
I put the 450R shocks on my 400EX and it didn't make it sit noticeably higher. I imagine with the 400EX shock conversion bracket you should be fine. I don't know if you would have to grind the shocks eyelet size down like you do getting the 450R shocks on the 400, or if the rezzies would get in the way of anything.

As far as performance my 450R front shocks are far better than the stock 400 shocks and way out class the back shock now. Of course I bought some that were revalved by TCS too. So I don't know how much better the 450R shocks with the stock valving would be. Probably not the definitive answer you wanted but I don't know that anyone has tried this yet. :confused:

m250r
09-18-2004, 03:41 PM
:rolleyes: the 450r shocks will not work on the 300 just ask Jeff he knows all

bradley300
09-18-2004, 09:21 PM
there is a difference between bolting up and moving up and down, and bolting up and moving up and down properly. the 450r shocks are made for a frontend w/ more stoke than a 400ex has. so the balljoints will bottom b4 the shocks will, so have fun jumping, it will be alright for a while, but soon enuff those balljoints will snap in half

khen
09-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
there is a difference between bolting up and moving up and down, and bolting up and moving up and down properly. the 450r shocks are made for a frontend w/ more stoke than a 400ex has. so the balljoints will bottom b4 the shocks will, so have fun jumping, it will be alright for a while, but soon enuff those balljoints will snap in half Have you personally seen this or heard of an actual case of it happening? Or are you just quoting what you've read on this forum?

I've compressed my shocks all the way down and there appears to still be movement left in the ball joints and they don't appear to have any unusual forces put on them. I would be interested in learning if there have actually been any cases of this occurring with this combination or if it is all hypothetical. I'm guessing it's the lateral.

And BTW I'm pretty aware of a suspensions geometry. I've designed and fabricated some high performance suspension systems.

mntly_imptnt
09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
7 months with them on the ex and no probs. now that is not hear say talking. no words of wisdom here. my 2 cents are free.

bradley300
09-19-2004, 10:43 PM
your right, its all assumption, but i just dont see how it would work correctly. even if i'm wrong about the balljoints, the geomtry wont be right unless the 450r has the same frame and a-arms shock mount locations, wich it does not.

i have tried myself to rig parts off different quads onto my 300, yes they worked for a while, but i have learned my lesson, buy parts made for your quad!

khen
09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I agree there are a lot of factors involved with the geometry. I think the main two that you need to worry about in terms of safety are:

1- As you've stated, excess travel in the shocks could make it so the frame hits the ground(hard) or the ball joints or some other component takes the grunt of the impact.

2- You use shocks that were designed for a less demanding application and therefore could break with the greater demands.

I think the other factors are all related to performance. If there is more leverage on the shocks(longer arms, or higher mount point, etc) from one quad to the other it could be that the shocks would be to soft or less leverage, to stiff.

I do see your point though, I don't think it's a good idea to just slap different shocks on and hit that 100 footer to see how it does. Most hospital expenses exceed the cost of Elkas. However, if the numbers all jive you can save yourself some $$ on a good suspension. IMO

jvd182
09-20-2004, 05:34 PM
ok ill guess i have 2 save up for sum works them