PDA

View Full Version : Making Your Own Skidplate

hessianmx111
09-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Alright ive been thinking about making a belly skid for my quad for awhile now ,and Ive got access to all kinds of metal working and cutting tools in my welding classes at school so i figured id make one. My question is has anybody else done this and if so how hard was it, howd you mount them and what material did you use? I was thinking of making it out of 1/8" stainless steel but that would cost money so another option i was thinking was making it out of like 1/8" steel and have it like sprayed with rhino lining to prevent rusting i can get the regular steel out of the scrap pile at school for free. Any replies and help would be greatly appreciated and also pics. Thanks

Braff1
09-17-2004, 09:58 PM
I made mine on my 400 and 300 ex's. I used 5/16 sheet aluminum, jig saw. YOu will need a 2x4 and c=-clamps to put a small bend in the front to match the fram. Mounting brackets I used a piece of flat steel up front and the stock mounting bolts in the rear. While you are at it take the time to put in the holes for the oil drain plugs. Measure twice, cut once.

Juggalo
09-17-2004, 10:13 PM
i made one with a peice of carbon fiber i had layin around. i just drilled holes in it and used Ubolts.. kind of a ghetto job but it works