PDA

View Full Version : Fasst Flex Handlebar system

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 07:14 PM
I finally got my steering system complete last night. The final piece was the hand guards. I had a brand new set of Cycra guards, but I could not get them to fit on the Flex bars. My sponsor came to the rescue with his aluminum mounts and some PowerMadd plastics. For added protection, he threw in a set of end supports that enclose the guard. Granted, this is not as strong as the full aluminum Cycra sytem, but it will surely be a great improvement over what I had before. (no protection)

I have a stock steering stem. It is my third one, having bent the first one by nosing front first into the face of a double jump and landing on the handlebars with my chest. The second bent by flipping over backward on a gnarly hill climb. I had to install a set of Rox handlebar risers to get the 1 1/8 inch Flexx bars to mount up. This was easy, and resulted in the Bars being 7/8 inch higher than my Tag X-5's with stock mounting bracket. My new Flexx bars are the Quad version with 14 degree bend. Additionally, I have installed a PEP steering stabilizer, which is set to maximum stiffness.(more on that later) I also have a Houser WristRester that I installed about a year and a half ago. I finished off with Spider grips. I doubled the rubber flange on the throttle side because I keep getting a nasty blister on my index finger where it rubs the throttle housing. However, the double flange helped only slightly. I am a computer nerd, so my delicate paws are easily blistered. After the last race I actually had blisters under my blisters...:rolleyes:

My opinions on this equipment are as follows:

Stock steering stem; As I stated earlier, I am on my third stock stem. However I still have the stock original tie-rods, A-arms, spindles, etc. I will probably continue to use stock stems out of fear that a stronger stem will cause something else to bend. The stock stem is fairly inexpensive.

Houser WristRester; I really like this thing. It does give your steering a creepy feeling at first, especially when braking hard or going down a steep hill. This is because it allows the bars to shift forward. This really startled me when I went down my first ore dump. My first race with it, I really noticed a difference in the whoop section. The difference was a good one. The wrist rester does limit you to a Denton, PEP, or similar style steering stabilizer. It will not allow fitment of GPR or Scotts type dampner.

PEP Steering Stabilizer; It works very well. I have it set to maximum, but after the last race, which was extremely tight, with a lot of full-lock turns, I may reduce it to the medium setting. It was noticeably tiring me out. I ended up putting a pretty large bend on the inside left front wheel when I hit something. I do not remember hitting anything that hard, and my arms and wrists felt great after the last race. I have 23" Razr 2's and ITP T-9 Baja rims. I think it is safe to say all these fancy gizmo's helped as far as rider fatique goes.

Fasst Flex Quad bars with 14 degree bend; These made a very noticeable difference in overall feel of the quad. It felt like I just got new front shocks again. The bars arrived with the "stiff" polymer bumpers installed. I have left them that way and raced one Harescramble. The bumpers allow the ends of the bars to flex downward on hard hits. When I am standing up, I can force the bars downward slightly by pressing on them. This movement seems to soak up the hard hits. These bars look kinda neat in my opinion. They appear to be strongly built, and they really are a lot different than regular bars, but, I really think they are overpriced.

Rox Risers; My friends have been using these for a couple years and some of them ride A LOT more aggressively than I do, and have not had a problem with slipping, breaking or bending. They really hold up well. I have only used them for one race, and have not had even the slightest problem with them. My bars are in the same position as when I installed them. With the Flexx bars and 2 1/4 inch risers, I am still running all stock length control cables and lines.

Rox Hand Guard Mounts and Powermadd guards: I will have to report back on these because I haven't raced with them yet.

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Guard detail:

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 07:20 PM
full view:

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 07:26 PM
I realize that there is something inherently wrong with putting a Yamaha part on a Honda. I busted off my headlight and scabbed that hood on there "just to be differ'nt"

I have had people offer me 250R hoods and even a fiber hood, but I think I will stick with the goofy lookin one for now...:D

theTman
09-17-2004, 07:27 PM
ncie quad but HUUUUUGE seat:eek2:

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
It is my "Monkey Butt Reduction Saddle System"

:p

Pappy
09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Phil....you crashed and bent 3 stems and you went out and bought $300 handy bars:p

theTman
09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Phil....you crashed and bent 3 stems and you went out and bought $300 handy bars:p

lmfao

400ex28
09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by theTman
lmfao

:rolleyes:

TheFontMaster
09-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I like how that hood looks.

JDiablo
09-17-2004, 09:00 PM
word,i cant wait to get a set of them bars....what kinda a-arm length u running?

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

Well.... I haven't crashed since I got them! :(

This might have been a mistake...:p

Of course, one of the selling points of the bars is, if you break them you ONLY have to buy a replacement piece (which costs more than a set of regular bars alone):rolleyes:

We shall see how it goes. Only one more race for me before it snows anyway.

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I like how that hood looks.

Thanks!

PhilMoore
09-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
word,i cant wait to get a set of them bars....what kinda a-arm length u running?

The entire chassis is original stock except for the suspension. It is a 1999 model.

JDiablo
09-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
The entire chassis is original stock except for the suspension. It is a 1999 model.

yea sorry i didnt read the one part where it says it stock basically

fiveover
02-28-2006, 11:29 PM
What did you do with your lights and ignition once everything was installed?

03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
glad you like them :macho i love mine

hoser 400ex
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
phil moore....what part of mn are you from?? nice lookin 400 i really like the looks of the rappy hood.

PhilMoore
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
fiveover: I was able to use the stock cables and brake lines.

Lights are non-existent.

The ignition is mounted to the Raptor hood, on the top, to the left of the steering clamps.

hoser 400ex: I live in Itasca county, which by the way is hosting 3 X-C races this summer. Two in Hill City, and one in Warba. I can't believe what a turnaround there has been in the Quad Racing scene in this area. There are actually going to be 7 (I think) Quad only MX races in MN district 23 this season as well.

I didn't race at all in 2005 because my wife lost her job, so she couldn't buy me parts. :grr: I am planning on hitting a few harescrambles this year though.

coolex
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
a 2 year old thread is brought back to life

bwamos
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Well.... I haven't crashed since I got them! :(

This might have been a mistake...:p

Of course, one of the selling points of the bars is, if you break them you ONLY have to buy a replacement piece (which costs more than a set of regular bars alone):rolleyes:

We shall see how it goes. Only one more race for me before it snows anyway.

Well you'll be a great test.. lol

Since the pars are made to flex.. they may very well survive a rollover much better than a solid bar.

03-04-2006, 12:55 AM

WRONG! you now have to pay $150 for a set of replacement bars after you mail your broken ones back...SCREW THAT!