PDA

View Full Version : car systems

250exrder
09-17-2004, 05:26 PM
ok guys i just bought a 97 gmc jimmy for my first car and i want to get a system put in it....the only problem is i dont know wut to

get...i dont want to get too serious with like 15 inch subs and stuff, i just want sumthin to show off to my friends...on

judysdeals.com i found awesome deals one is like 2 12s in a box w/ neon for under 150....but of course its a noname brand so i

dont know if it worth it or not...can anybody help me out and give me some good suggestions for when i go to cirucit city, or a online site... thanks alot

p.s. i also have to get a head unit the cd player now doesnt work

WOracing
09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
from hearing this 2 10" kickers hit pretty hard, but you need the right amps to...for speakers i have sony explode...nothing to special, sounds ok ::shrugs shoulders::

250exrder
09-17-2004, 05:37 PM
wut do u think is better...buying 2 subs already installed in the

box or buying subs separate then the box separate...o yea amps wut wuld i have to get ...o yea and i read somewhere that 10

inchers and more for like rock music and 12 inchers are for rap? i duno

310Rduner
09-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Check out chrutchfield.com

In the bronco I just bought it has a Clarion mp3 deck, alpine 2-5"x7" speakers up front, 2 alpine 6"x9" speakers in back, an alpine 10" type S subwoofer in a rockford box, and an alpine F350V amp. I really like how it sounds, it has a nice loud thump to it in the car, but I don't play it even half as loud as I could (something about not wanting my ears to bleed, and going deaf). I plan on bringing the subwoofer up to 10-12" type R subwoofer, using the amp I have for the speakers, and getting another amp for the subwoofer. It sounds really clear inside, but isn't going to shatter my car windows (though it does vibrate a lot) at the volume I listen to it. When I play like rammstein or a song with loud bass it is really hard, but the rock songs I listen to usually don't seem to emphasize bass.

Chanman420q
09-17-2004, 06:49 PM
GO with JL, wont regret it, i just bought 2 10w0's with the 250/1 amp and these things nail

Honda4trax250x
09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
i only spent about 140 on my system and it dont sound too bad
its 2 10" subs with a 450w amp

TCracin440ex
09-17-2004, 09:38 PM
dude if your looking for a good place to get stereo equiptment....go to www.onlinecarstereo.com best deals ive ever seen and free shippin on subs and stuff

Juggalo
09-17-2004, 10:17 PM
my moms got 2 12 inch pioneers in her mini van they pound pretty damn good. we're runnin the factory infinity speakers which are actually pretty decent but not nearly as good as the pioneer speakers we have. unfortunatley they wouldnt fit in the van so we never installed them. we're runnin a pioneer deck (its got like dolphins and stuff on it that swim around) and pioneer amp. ive heard a lot of systems and i think my pioneer system is prob one of the best ive heard so i def reccommend pioneer components.

TCracin440ex
09-17-2004, 10:22 PM
ive got the pioneer deck in my truck the DEH-8500mp bad *** deck...i love it

mud390
09-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Everyone here is going to tell you something different. Its all what sounds best to you. Best thing I can tell you to do is go to a couple of local stereo shops and talk to the people that work there and tell them what you want. They'll give you a recommendation on what they think will work best. Listen to their subs, but don't commit or buy, and go to the next store and do the same thing until you've found something you really like. I would recommend any major brand sub like JL, Kicker, Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate. I personally have had Kicker and currently have Crossfire subs in my truck. I loved both of them and couldn't have been happier. Best of luck!

Kris

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Here are a couple good links:
www.ikesound.com
www.discountjungle.net

Ikesound is great. Good deals and great customer service. Discount Jungle is okay. Still good deals, but the customer service is manned by a bunch of stinkin' imports that can't speaka de englace. :mad:

stace609
09-18-2004, 12:53 AM
another good site is www.sounddomain.com that's where i got most of my stuff. i have that dolphin deck the other guy was talking about. i got that at best buy like $100 off b/c it was open box. i also got a 10"crystal sub and a rockford fosgate amp. my husband made this pimp box with dolphin cutouts and i'm going to put blue neons in so it matches the head unit. have fun with your system. look around, you can get good stuff for cheap. don't go out in like one weekend and get everything. you'll pay too much.

250exrder
09-18-2004, 10:52 AM
thanks for all the help so far

250exrder
09-18-2004, 10:55 AM
what are "channels" when it comes to amps....and how many outputs do i want in my head unit?

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 250exrder
what are "channels" when it comes to amps....and how many outputs do i want in my head unit?
A "channel" is one positive and one negative terminal to which you would connect a speaker. A two channel amp is an amp that has a left channel and right channel to produce stereo sound (left and right speakers are capable of producing music independantly). A four channel amp is also designed for stereo, but allows a left front and left rear, and right front and right rear speaker. A mono amp only has one channel, and is usually designed for a single speaker, typically a subwoofer. It is possible to connect more than one speaker to a single channel, but each additional speaker reduces the resistance in the circuit from positive to negative. As the resistance (measured in ohms) is reduced, the current flows faster, which produces heat. That's why when you hook up too many speakers to a single channel on an amp, you could potentially burn up that channel. For your head unit, I would suggest one of the newer Pioneers or Sonys (or any good brand) with three sets of outputs and high/low pass crossovers built in. It's an easy and pretty effective way to get good sound from your system and save your speakers. The sub output that goes to the sub amp will have an adjustable filter (125/75/50 HZ, for example) that will only allow frequencies below the setting you select, so you only have bass going to your sub. It will also have adjustable level which will not be affected by fading front or rear. The front and rear high outputs will have the same kind of filter, usually with the same values, but will only allow frequencies above the setting you select. This will keep the bass from distorting the sound from your mids and highs, and possibly damaging them. With everything crossed over correctly, you can get much more useable power from an amp.

300extreme#8
09-18-2004, 05:56 PM
the whole system deal thingy,ok here it is plan and simple,

THE MORE MONEY PUT INTO THE SYSTEM
THE MORE BOOM U GET.

sure i could name alkinda sub brands and what not ,but the best r to costy,and u can't go by what ur friend's sound like b/c theres diff airspace in diff vehicles,so just buy something and stick with it,wait as long as u can ,b/c once u get in a hurry and u buy it,i bet u not long after u bought it ,the same thing was just upgraded to be better or what not,so take ur time,and pick urself,but just make sure u get a d-class amp,
hope it helps

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
...the whole system deal thingy,ok here it is plan and simple,

THE MORE BOOM U GET.

Basically right, I guess, but if you do some homework and buy from the right places, you can stretch that money a LOT! Spend $1000 at Audio Express, and then buy the same exact products at discount online places and see how much money you have left over.

250exrder
09-18-2004, 08:38 PM
so should i stay away from this stuff? http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1854
cuz it looks really cool and thats a lot of watts for that price

300extreme#8
09-18-2004, 08:54 PM
i've never seen them or heard bout them,i would stick to the known products just incase,u never know bought the others,but u can buy a half good sub and make it pound if u put the right wattage and space to it,i've heard 3 sony xplods pound comin down the street. pulled in my driveway and a empty cup fell of my nightstand in my room.(the other side of the house),it was loud

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 10:35 PM
so should i stay away from this stuff? http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1854
cuz it looks really cool and thats a lot of watts for that price
YES!! Stay away from that kind of no-name crap. You can't buy a 2000 watt amp for $125 unless it's stolen. A good rule of thumb is that for a decent quality amp, you'll pay about $1 per RMS watt. That 2000 watts is BS, that amp could never make that kind of power without catching on fire! What are you looking for, just subs and an amp, or do you want mids and tweets, too? You might consider getting a 5-channel amp to simplify things. I have Polk mids and tweets front and rear and a Kicker SL-5 (square) 12" sub, all powered by a Kicker KX 700.5 5-channel amp. The amp puts out 40x4 and 200x1 RMS @ 12 volts. The subwoofer portion of the amp is class "D", which has a little more distortion, but is much more efficient, turning more of the power into music and less into heat. Class "D" is popular for mono sub amps because you can't hear the increased distortion in the lower frequencies, you can make the amp much smaller with the same output as a class A/b amp, and they produce less heat. You can get the KX 700.5 for about $350 online. If you're just looking to piss off the neighbors, just get a good mono amp and a couple good 12's, and you'll be set. What kind of budget are you on?

F-16Guy
09-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Here are some good deals:
http://www.discountjungle.net/rocfosrfd12p1.html
http://www.discountjungle.net/kickx75w4cha.html
http://www.discountjungle.net/sostvg2chcar1.html

The Soundstream is a really nice amp, top of the line.

MichaelS693
09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
the whole system deal thingy,ok here it is plan and simple,

THE MORE BOOM U GET.

Not necessarily... you have to know what you are getting for the price you are paying.. its all in the proper amps, the proper watts, and the brand... the best sub out there IMO would have to be JL Audio... me and all my friends have jl audio and we all slam... i have 2 w3v2 10's:D.. still have to get a box for by the way

polabareus
09-19-2004, 05:02 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803&item=5720668755&rd=1

These speakers are exactly like the old round kicker solobarics. I have two in my cadillac with 300 watts rms running to each one and they pound very hard. Just check the sellers feedback and you'll see my name somewhere on there. I bought an amp for 135 dollars that runs 300 watts rms to each speaker. Alltogether, counting the speakers, the amp, the box, and the installation kit, it cost me right around 350 bucks total. I got everything brand new off of ebay. 6 years ago I spent 750 bucks for one 15 inch kicker solobaric, an amp and a box and it didn't pound nearly as much as my new set up. So when some one tells you that you have to spend loads of money for a nice system, they are wrong.

Mxjunkie
09-19-2004, 11:08 AM
ive herd alota good things about www.kicker.com i think im going to get 2 12's for my truck and such, just a little thump to get noticed lol

250exrder
09-19-2004, 11:10 AM
i have about 250 to spend

F-16Guy
09-19-2004, 12:47 PM
i have about 250 to spend
Try eBay, then. You can find some good, name brand stuff for cheap if you're patient. Don't discount the older stuff, either. Some of the older Alpine and Fosgate amps are awesome, as well as the older Kicker subs (the round Solo-Barics, for example). I would rather have some of that old stuff than some of the crap they're putting out today. If you have doubts about a product, search for reviews of that model number on google and find out what other people think. Since you don't know a whole lot about the subject, it would be a good idea to stick with the popular brands, such as Fosgate, Alpine, Kicker, Orion, Soundstream, Kenwood, etc.

F-16Guy
09-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by polabareus
...So when some one tells you that you have to spend loads of money for a nice system, they are wrong.
I totally agree, but you have to know what you're looking for. There are a million no-name brands claiming 2000 watts for only $99.95; it's very misleading to someone that doesn't know.

250exrder
09-20-2004, 02:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50570&item=5721619509&rd=1

that looks like a good deal:cool:

sickmojave
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
Check out chrutchfield.com

I have had really good dealings we them. I bought my home system and car system from them and when I put a system in my truck it will come from them..;)

Bobbs07
09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
My sister has 3 JL 10's in her avenger with a phoenix gold 2500 watt amp, brand new at 950$ i would say its not a bad amp:eek2: the set up i want in my truck should be loud enough when i fall into a load of money, 2 10' w7s with 2 JL 1000 watt amps:eek2: beat that:o

I forgot to add! dont buy cheap stuff!! you will regret it the second you hear it, all you will get out of it is a couple loose screws in the trunk to rattle:o ! And your amp will cut out every cupple minutes because it gets too hott.. lol.. :p