PDA

View Full Version : TRX 450r & LTZ400

VetteVert
09-17-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm looking for a some information as well as opinion here. I'm in the market for a new ATV, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I do no mx and no gncc, pure recreational trail riding. I ride a lot with bikes, so I need to be able to semi-keep up.

The kick start on the 450r I don't care so much about, but the reverse might be an issue (never had an atv without it).

How much more power does the honda have over the suzuki? After exhaust&cam for each? I realize the top end will be huge over the yellow bike, but how about bottom end and midrange?

I really like the 450r, I just wonder if the LTZ would be better suited for play and not racing. Anyone else trail ride their 450r? Are they good to go after the HRC kit and 13T countershaft sproket?

One more (probably stupid) question, does it have a parking brake? (can you lock the front or rear brakes?)

Thanke!

Hawk III
09-17-2004, 09:10 AM
I had the Z before I bought the 450r. It really depends on what you are going to be doing with it. The 405r is a better bike imo all the way through, but if you are just going to trail ride with friends, hell the Z is a great bike for that. And yes the 405r has a parking brake on the rear.

blue
09-17-2004, 09:27 AM
the 05 honda 400ex has reverse. take a look at it in honda.com. it also looks like the 450r.

brif
09-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I had a z also before the 450r. My z had a full exhaust, both hotcams, K&n, and jetkit. The z I had was a nice bike. It was the first bike I ever had with reverse. I thought when I bout the r I would miss the electric start and reverse(it had been about 5 years since I had a kick-start bike). The kickstart and the reverse sure , alittle missed the first couple rides but now I don't even think about it anymore.
If you didn't state you rode with bikes all the time I would say buy the z, but because of the bikes I would buy the r if your budget allows. As far as modding costs the only difference would be the cams because the z has 2. The rest of the mods you will add will cost about the same wither it's for a z or a r(although the z is about $800 cheaper in the first place) . Believe me you will mod and mod till you're out of cash no-matter which you purchase. These sites really have alot to do with that.
The z I think still has the most comfortable seat out there and the clutch is nice and light also. If I were you I'd try to ride both first and go from there. Or if you can wait another year, IF this z450 comes out and see what it is. I usually get the newest bike but this time I've stuck alittle too much money into this one and don't get to ride much anymore so, I'm keeping it. Good luck......

atcyalater
09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Don't sell the Z400 short. The Z400 with mods is just as fast as a modded TRX450R. Sure, even modded it's not going to be as fast and have as potent of a hit as the YFZ450 but it will easily run down the TRX450R. Just look at Doug gust. The one big advantage the Z400 has over the TRX450 is that it has the most comfortable riding position for trail riding of any quad out there today. If you are not going to race, I would go with the Z400.

kwatts400
09-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Doug Gusts z engine is a 450 built by Yosh. A big bore kit like his is probably pretty expensive.

09-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by atcyalater
Sure, even modded it's not going to be as fast and have as potent of a hit as the YFZ450 but it will easily run down the TRX450R. :rolleyes: whered you get your infromation from huh?

jeepnrocks
09-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Don't sell the Z400 short. The Z400 with mods is just as fast as a modded TRX450R. Sure, even modded it's not going to be as fast and have as potent of a hit as the YFZ450 but it will easily run down the TRX450R. Just look at Doug gust. The one big advantage the Z400 has over the TRX450 is that it has the most comfortable riding position for trail riding of any quad out there today. If you are not going to race, I would go with the Z400.
well here we go again
the z probably does have the most comfortable riding position out there for some but not for everyone. the most comfortable riding position on a quad varies from person to person.. that my friend is what makes us individuals so please don't insult myself or others here with regurgitations from dirt wheels.
it will easily run down a 450r if both modded.... brilliant. This arguement can go on for about 28949 more threads and i will always say the same thing. after you start tinkering with the engine whoever has the most money is going to have the most power. end of story
im dumber for reading your post. thank you very much

09-17-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
im dumber for reading your post. thank you very much thats what i was trying to say....thanks jeep... ;) :D

Blown 331
09-17-2004, 12:45 PM
NO way!

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX400EX&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=TRX400EX5

spincr4hire
09-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
NO way!

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX400EX&ModelYear=2005&ModelId=TRX400EX5

looks good, w/reverse...but still air cooled.

brif
09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Don't sell the Z400 short. The Z400 with mods is just as fast as a modded TRX450R. Sure, even modded it's not going to be as fast and have as potent of a hit as the YFZ450 but it will easily run down the TRX450R. Just look at Doug gust. The one big advantage the Z400 has over the TRX450 is that it has the most comfortable riding position for trail riding of any quad out there today. If you are not going to race, I would go with the Z400. That same suzuki beat alot of yfz's also. It's sure easy to tell what you ride.

09-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by brif
That same suzuki beat alot of yfz's also. It's sure easy to tell what you ride. b/c we all forgot that z400 didnt have any aftermarket parts on it...ooooh yah..it didnt have any STOCK parts on it other then the frame which was GUSSETED anyways...:rolleyes:

Scottie Mac
09-17-2004, 07:35 PM
If anyone buys a particular quad because someone on the other side of a computer tells you to, that person is an idiot. Not trying to be mean, but be a man and make up your own mind. Ride both if possible, heck ride the YFZ, KFX700 and the Predator while you are at it. Like someone before said, what is perfect for one is not necessarily perfect for the next guy.

Also, you are on a Honda site, on a Honda forum, what do you think folks on here are going to say. Go to Z400central, and they will tell you the Z is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The internet is the most biased playground in america.

Scott

Sm0k3d
09-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Some people just don't know.. I've seen 400ex's beat yfz450's on the mx track.. WHY?!?!? CAUSE IT ALL MATTERS on the rider! Heck, those bikes are all decked out in motor and suspension mods any more, So don't even compare them to stock bikes racing eachother.

VetteVert
09-17-2004, 11:14 PM
I realize you don't know me, but I see you assume a high level of ignorance. I'm not new to the internet, nor bias. We all have it, and some can read/see through it and some can't. I asked for info and opinion. I asked here because I am researching the 450r and assumed my pool of information to be larger and more accurate coming from these forums. I can tell the difference from an obviously biased opinion (buy xyz, it's the best), and biased, yet somewhat objective, opinion. I live in BFE and my chances of finding someone with either quad locally is slim to none. So I do my research here before hitting the dealerships. Dealerships here aren't keen on test rides either...especially on trails.

Counterpoint: already in this thread it has been suggested that an LTZ400 might better suit my needs.

Originally posted by Scottie Mac
If anyone buys a particular quad because someone on the other side of a computer tells you to, that person is an idiot. Not trying to be mean, but be a man and make up your own mind. Ride both if possible, heck ride the YFZ, KFX700 and the Predator while you are at it. Like someone before said, what is perfect for one is not necessarily perfect for the next guy.

Also, you are on a Honda site, on a Honda forum, what do you think folks on here are going to say. Go to Z400central, and they will tell you the Z is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The internet is the most biased playground in america.

Scott

Martin Blair
09-17-2004, 11:47 PM
I say that the ltz will be better for you but go riden them, evne the new 400ex

Ever since i got the new 450r i hate to ride my friends 400ex or ltz. The 450r feels so much better to me and a more comfortable riding position it is crazy. I think it fits me perfect for my riding style (im about 5' 8" preety short which might be why it fits me better). But compare them all and deicde what you like, after the 450r i think the 400ex is to low of a seat and the z feels to high like a raptor kinda.

Scottie Mac
09-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by VetteVert
I realize you don't know me, but I see you assume a high level of ignorance. I'm not new to the internet, nor bias. We all have it, and some can read/see through it and some can't. I asked for info and opinion. I asked here because I am researching the 450r and assumed my pool of information to be larger and more accurate coming from these forums. I can tell the difference from an obviously biased opinion (buy xyz, it's the best), and biased, yet somewhat objective, opinion. I live in BFE and my chances of finding someone with either quad locally is slim to none. So I do my research here before hitting the dealerships. Dealerships here aren't keen on test rides either...especially on trails.

Counterpoint: already in this thread it has been suggested that an LTZ400 might better suit my needs.

Vert,

My post wasn't really directed at you, or your level of ignorance. I was mainly pointing out that there is a high level of BS on this (and most) sites. You are doing yourself wrong if you don't make the choice on your own. I agree that when you live in BFE it would be great if you could get pure unbiased information on the internet, but from what I have seen over the years, that is hard to come by. FOr every honest, well thought post, there are a ton of "you have to buy xyz, because I saw one destroy zyx at the races last week" posts.

Oh well, here is my attemp at an unbiased suggestion:

Between the two you mentioned, if you plan on NEVER hitting the track, I think the Z would be fine for you. It is very comfortable, has reverse and has electric start. MOST trail riders could use all of those atributes. The only real downside to the Z is that if any onf your friends get a TRX or YFZ, you WILL be at a power disadvantage. That can be made up, but that cost money and sometimes can cost reliability. I like the TRX, if I were to pick between the two, I would get the Honda, because I would want more umpth than the Z gives me stock. Plus, the Honda has better stock suspension and offers rebuildability (word?) that the Z suspension does not. That is opinion.

You may want to look at a Predator. Some folks will jump all over me for this, but the new Polaris has better than Z power, reverse and MUCH better suspension that the Z. It doesn't have quite the balls the TRX has, but it isn't THAT far back in terms of power.

Again, if you can, find dealers that will allow you to test ride the models you are interested in. If you buy a certain model because it is perfect for one person DOES NOT mean that it will be perfect for you.

Good luck, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Scott

danyeo
09-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by VetteVert
I'm looking for a some information as well as opinion here. I'm in the market for a new ATV, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I do no mx and no gncc, pure recreational trail riding. I ride a lot with bikes, so I need to be able to semi-keep up.

The kick start on the 450r I don't care so much about, but the reverse might be an issue (never had an atv without it).

How much more power does the honda have over the suzuki? After exhaust&cam for each? I realize the top end will be huge over the yellow bike, but how about bottom end and midrange?

I really like the 450r, I just wonder if the LTZ would be better suited for play and not racing. Anyone else trail ride their 450r? Are they good to go after the HRC kit and 13T countershaft sproket?

One more (probably stupid) question, does it have a parking brake? (can you lock the front or rear brakes?)

Thanke!

I rode em both. Go with the Z if money is an issue. A piped and jetted Z probably isn't that much slower than a stock 450r in woods riding and overall recreation play but the 450r is a better overall quad. I never missed reverse on quads that i rode. Reverse and electric start plus all the new upgrades on the Z do make it a serious contender though for potential buyers. As far as HP and speed it's all about how much money you want to spend. Look at this thread and check the videos. The 450z in these KILLS Predators and 450r's, but he has a $3000 Yoshi kit. I myself don't need to dump 3000 into a quad just to have fun.

xsr_racing28c
09-19-2004, 03:57 PM
just so everyone knows , in the latest ATV sport , they ride dougs quad and it tells about what it all has done to it and , i don't even understand why it says SUZUKI on the side cuz nothing on the quad at all it even made by suzuki other than the casting of the block.... that motor is completely built by yosh, and the motor alone has $3500 into it in just mods..... so don't say a modded Z400 will womp a 450 r thats equally modded and yes it all comes down to rider, but quad does play a small part

brian
09-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
NO way!

i'm sorry, but that's just plain gay.
sure, to have the smaller(200-250's) bikes look like the bigger "real" bikes, that's fine. but this is trying to be something it's clearly not.it might fool somebody just sitting there, but as soon it fires up, the jigs up.
the 400ex is a fine machine(in fact i'm looking for an older model), and now just a little better with R. it had a classic look, why they have to mess with that?

allmixedup047
09-19-2004, 11:21 PM

you just contradicted in the end what you said in the beggining of your reply.
you said a modded z400 will run down a modded trx450r. first of all its not going to be running down, its going to be catching up when the 450r stops to wait. and as far as sayin the yfz is faster than the trx and the z is faster than the trx, you must of pulled that info out of your @ss. if you want to talk about which one is faster than you have a whole bunch of logic and examples. if you want to say the yfz is faster than the trx, you can, but in my expierence the only time its been faster than the trx is off the line. stock to stock the trx will walk away from a yfz in top end. but whos to say thats fast. maybe some people want low end. so they throw a 13t front sprocket on and the yfz no longer gets it off the line and the trx still walks away from it in top end. i know this because i have raced them countless times and 100% of the time a 450r with the 13t will still walk away from a yfz with the stock gearing, cam mod and filter. just not like it does with the 14t. but anyways, you say the Z will run down a 450r, well than why the hell would you not want to race it against the 450r if its SO FAST?:huh . what i think you should of said in your reply was, blah blah blah blah blah blah pick a z400 blah blah blah blah blah because thats what i have blah blah!:rolleyes:
like someone has said befor, try to ride them both if you can. i have ridden z's and kfx's many times because my friends own them. they are nice bikes but i think are a little out dated and i wouldnt trade my R for a z. i had ridden z's befor i bought my 450r, when i bought my 450r i went strictly off the way it felt when i sat on it. you can get a general answer on the way it will feel when ridding. i knew the motor was one of the best two out on the market right now so that wasnt an issue with me, i knew it would perform good. when ridin i dont use reverse ever no matter what bike im on. the only time i use reverse is at the truck when i pull right up to it and then i back out with reverse. if your riding trails hard and you miss a turn or go off the trail a bit you normally wont take the time to put it in reverse anyway, youll just plow through the brush so you dont lose your buddies.

lukester720
09-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I haven't had a chance to ride the new Z with the rezzied shocks but if your getting one that doesn't have the rezzies you might want to think about how hard you will be working the suspension. I weigh 260lbs and the stock shocks get hot way to fast on the z and lose the suspension capabilities whereas I can ride the 450r shocks all day without this problem. My weight is not the only deciding factor my buddy that owns the z400 does the same thing to them and he only weighs 195 lbs, it just takes a little longer.

allmixedup047
09-20-2004, 01:21 AM
hey luke, im 6'1 and i think the 450r handles me pretty good. but from what ive seen in your pics you look real tall. just how tall are you and how does your quad handle with you being so tall?

Seano
09-20-2004, 01:40 AM
i got to ride a 04 z400 when my zilla blew up. we were at glamis. i likes the bike personally and ended up on a 05 black honda just for the looks. the honda is the only quad i didnt test ride before i bought it. i was waiting for the 05z but i couldnt wait. if you trail ride get the Z. if you dont ever use reverse get the honda. im west coast so im sure if you are east side the riding is a lot different

Seano
09-20-2004, 01:42 AM
i also thought it felt tall like a raptor but it really isnt tippy at all

lukester720
09-20-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm 6'6", I feel really comfortable on the R, the ergos are great. I did replace the bars and add a riser to get better bar height. As far as MX is concerned I need to get the shocks revalved for my weight, I bottom out way to much and that hurts!

allmixedup047
09-20-2004, 02:03 AM
my step dad is 6'7 and you looked pretty tall. im going to have to get my shocks redone for me too. im no small fry, im 6'1 and weigh 225. bottoming out sucks bad. i over shot a 55ft table top and thought my guts came out my @sshole, after that i made the decision to get the shocks redone. i know i probably would of still bottomed out but not so hard. it felt like i jumped out of a 2 story building landing on my feet on concrete.:( maybe i wouldnt of dislocated my shoulder too.

atcyalater
09-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
you said a modded z400 will run down a modded trx450r. first of all its not going to be running down, its going to be catching up when the 450r stops to wait. and as far as sayin the yfz is faster than the trx and the z is faster than the trx, you must of pulled that info out of your @ss. if you want to talk about which one is faster than you have a whole bunch of logic and examples. if you want to say the yfz is faster than the trx, you can, but in my expierence the only time its been faster than the trx is off the line. stock to stock the trx will walk away from a yfz in top end. but whos to say thats fast. maybe some people want low end. so they throw a 13t front sprocket on and the yfz no longer gets it off the line and the trx still walks away from it in top end. i know this because i have raced them countless times and 100% of the time a 450r with the 13t will still walk away from a yfz with the stock gearing, cam mod and filter. just not like it does with the 14t. but anyways, you say the Z will run down a 450r, well than why the hell would you not want to race it against the 450r if its SO FAST?:huh . what i think you should of said in your reply was, blah blah blah blah blah blah pick a z400 blah blah blah blah blah because thats what i have blah blah!:rolleyes:
like someone has said befor, try to ride them both if you can. i have ridden z's and kfx's many times because my friends own them. they are nice bikes but i think are a little out dated and i wouldnt trade my R for a z. i had ridden z's befor i bought my 450r, when i bought my 450r i went strictly off the way it felt when i sat on it. you can get a general answer on the way it will feel when ridding. i knew the motor was one of the best two out on the market right now so that wasnt an issue with me, i knew it would perform good. when ridin i dont use reverse ever no matter what bike im on. the only time i use reverse is at the truck when i pull right up to it and then i back out with reverse. if your riding trails hard and you miss a turn or go off the trail a bit you normally wont take the time to put it in reverse anyway, youll just plow through the brush so you dont lose your buddies.

I never thought my post would generate so much interest. I was just trying to give the guy some help deciding which quad to buy. Isn't that what he was asking for. If you think your your TRX450 makes more explosive power than the YFZ450 than more power to you. I have them both and I can tell you that if you want a quad that makes huge explosive exceleration buy the YFZ, if you want a quad that makes mello but strong power than buy a TRX450. If you don't beleive me just do a little reading. Every major motocross magazine has described Yamahas 450 engine as having "to much power". Yamaha has been working on melloing out the power of there 450 for the last to years. I will say it again, Yamahas 450 makes As for the Z400 running down the TRX450, I ment one modded to the level of Doug Gust's. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

atcyalater
09-20-2004, 06:52 AM

I never thought my post would generate so much interest. I was just trying to give the guy some help deciding which quad to buy. Isn't that what he was asking for. If you think your TRX450 makes more explosive power than the YFZ450 than more power to you. I have them both and I can tell you that if you want a quad that makes huge explosive acceleration buy the YFZ, if you want a quad that makes mellow but strong rideable power than buy a TRX450. If you don't believe me just do a little reading. Every major motocross magazine has described Yamahas 450 engine as having "to much power". Yamaha has been working on mellowing out the power of there 450 for the last to years. I will say it again; Yamahas 450 makes TO MUCH POWER. The biggest problem the YFZ has is that it makes TO MUCH POWER. This hurts its rideability. The bike can be very fatiguing because it makes TO MUCH POWER. If you are continually beating YFZ's than that's great but it probably has more to do with your riding skills. As for the Z400 running down the TRX450, I meant one modded to the level of Doug Gust's. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

allmixedup047
09-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Every major motocross magazine has described Yamahas 450 engine as having "to much power". Yamaha has been working on mellowing out the power of there 450 for the last to years. I will say it again; Yamahas 450 makes TO MUCH POWER.

wow, put down the magazine and step away from the shootouts.:rolleyes: i my self have both in my garage. a yfz and a trx. the trx has the hrc kit, 13t front sprocket, and k&n. the yfz has the proflow intake, eddie sanders pipe, the cam mod, and 15t front sprocket. with the mods done to both of them, when raced by several different people, in 300ft they are almost dead even. when it comes down to it, you got to put them on a dyno. the yfz made one more hp than the trx, but the trx made 6 more ft# of torque, and the yfz hit about 1000rpm's more than the trx. giving legit information is one thing, blowing smoke up someones @ss is another. the best piece of information i can give to you is dont believe the magazines. not one of them because they are all owned by the same people. and if your getting your information from racerX, than that a whole nother delima because they where started and funded by a yamaha dealership.

Seano
09-20-2004, 01:43 PM
ive ridden all 3 of them. i bought a honda.

YFZ- the best motocross racer.......but really choppy in the bumps if your not a racer. crappy stock headlights

LT400- better for trails becouse of reverse and electric starting. rides good in the chop and has plenty of power. also the price is way lower. good lights and very comfortable. does seem like you sit a little forward but you get used to it.

honda 450- good ride like the suzuki but i think stock for stock a little more power than the suzuki. rides good in the chop. has good lights and seems like you sit back on it a little more than the other 2 quads

also both the suzuki and yamaha have external oil tanks while the honda actually separates the clutch and engine oil. if money is an issue buy the ltz 400. if your a honda man buy the honda. if you have to have the best "racer buy the yamaha.
also look into the predator.

neither of the 3 jap quads are tippy and do anything out of the ordinary. you could just go sit on all of them and buy the most comfortable one and not make a bad choice.

VetteVert
09-21-2004, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the more open minded posts. I really appreciate it.

I went out to the Honda dealer this weekend and they actually had a 450r. I loved the feel of it, and my body position. It felt almost like a bike. I was quite impressed, but I couldn't find a salesperson. I'm 26, but I look 16 so I guess they just ignored me :confused:

I've got another question for you guys that I can't seem to clarify. I've read alternating views on which quad (450r or YFZ) has the better bottom end. Some mags say the YFZ has less hit on the bottom, and others say the Honda takes more revs to find power. I realize the intent of these quads and that the real meat of their powerband will be up high, I'm just curious about bottom end as well. I also read how the YFZ's bottom end really comes alive with an open silencer (I guess they both would).

Seano
09-21-2004, 05:57 AM
ive ridden all 3 back to back and would say the yami is the powerhouse...........although the yfz i rode had the baffle removed but stock jetting and i was quite impressed. it powers from lug to redline. its redlines like 11k while the honda is like 9 something. the honda is just smoother. i'd say you cant really go wrong on either 3.

check out the new polaris preditor in the dirtwheels mag. sounds just like what your looking for

09-21-2004, 07:53 AM
if they wouldnt help you buy a quad then I suggest you go to another stealership..im 17 and look 13 and they were all over my nuts when I bought mine

allmixedup047
09-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Some mags say the YFZ has less hit on the bottom, and others say the Honda takes more revs to find power.

from my view point the yfz gets out of the hole faster than the honda due to hondas high gearing.( stock vs stock) but the honda has more torque on a dyno. my honda revs at 9800rpm's and the yfz revs at around 10800rpms. i think honda should of made the R rev higher because at 9800rpm's its not done making power. yamaha did good with there rev box IMO. i think the R is a lot more comfortable though. it does kinda feel like a bike.

Kennethyfz450
09-21-2004, 06:04 PM
I am going to regret this......

I have been beat on the drag track by a honda 450r when i installed my lrd pipe and uni filter with air box lid still on i got beat by all 3 450rs with wheelie bars with a lrd pipe and sparks cam?

but a couple of weeks before that when i was stock i raced a honda 450r with hmf pipe and xcrs and he beat me at the end of the night cause i didnt line up right.. long story
and i had a better time then him 4.13 in 250 foot in i was stock.. and he had 4.37 when he beat me the cool part at the end of the race i was catching up quick i thougt i had it when i crossed the line my time was a 4.38. which really sucks!!!!!

but on a side note i beat a honda crf 250 on black top with all my mods, and then he came back and blew more doors off on top end.

I would look into a pred,yfz,r over the z,kfx,dvx

allmixedup047
09-21-2004, 09:45 PM
my r with just hrc will beat the yfz with ESR, proflow intake and cam mod by more than a yfz with just the cam mod, filter and baffle taken out. i think my jettings off a little with the yfz though, i have re jetted it about 4 times with all the same mods, pipe, intake, and cam mod. esr sent a needle with the pipe when we got it in. i think im going back to the stock needle.

TheMachine
09-21-2004, 10:48 PM

Are you serious? Run down a 450r?

Kennethyfz450
09-22-2004, 03:16 PM
my r with just hrc will beat the yfz with ESR, proflow intake and cam mod by more than a yfz with just the cam mod, filter and baffle taken out. i think my jettings off a little with the yfz though, i have re jetted it about 4 times with all the same mods, pipe, intake, and cam mod. esr sent a needle with the pipe when we got it in. i think im going back to the stock needle.

I agree with you on a bunch of things.. but this is one of those things where i dont believe you..:D

has a 172 main jet needs a 175
jd blue needle no telling where the clip is at
with a 48 pilot

it runs good now but i think it has the potential to run better. if i had someone to jet my bike for me instead of just guessing what it needs i will be fine i have changed the jetting on my bike over 8 times:eek:

09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
iv'e heard quite a few people are having problems jetting their YFZ's

allmixedup047
09-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I agree with you on a bunch of things.. but this is one of those things where i dont believe you..

well, believe it or dont believe it. i dont know what to tell you.

i like ridding the yfz but i just like the R better. i think the yfz hits high rmps too fast and as soon as your on the gas its on the rev limiter. the R revs quick too but not as quick as the yfz. i dont know what to do with my yfz, i guess just keep trying different jets.

Kennethyfz450
09-23-2004, 08:09 AM
well, believe it or dont believe it. i dont know what to tell you.

i like ridding the yfz but i just like the R better. i think the yfz hits high rmps too fast and as soon as your on the gas its on the rev limiter. the R revs quick too but not as quick as the yfz. i dont know what to do with my yfz, i guess just keep trying different jets.

sounds like the yfz is running pretty good if it's doing all of that..

i wish the yfz was just as easy to jet as my old 400
the darn thing is picky!! reminds me of some females i know:eek2:

danyeo
09-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Why do some of you think a properly built up Z can't toast a YFZ or TRX450? Of course it takes some money and most people would be just better off getting a YFZ or R and just add some mods. BUt here is the proof of have fast a Yoshi 450z is. I think i already might have posted this.

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/?search_field=fil_mem_id&search=50653

allmixedup047
09-23-2004, 01:35 PM
it wont let me see it.:huh

Kennethyfz450
09-23-2004, 07:38 PM
i think dougs can but in the long run i dont think it will have any chance with a moded yfz

danyeo
09-23-2004, 10:24 PM
it wont let me see it.:huh

YOu may have to sign up for a free account that will let you watch 3 free movies a day i think. Anyway they are racing up Sand Mountain in Utah. Out of all the YfZ, 450r, Yoshi Z, and ATkannondale, the ATK beats them all. In fairness to the 450r it's going up against the Yoshi Z that has a lot of money in it and the ATK's are pretty expensive once ATK gets done with it. The 450r's do beat the Predators and seem to hang in there against the YFZ's.

2k4z400racer
10-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by TheMachine
Are you serious? Run down a 450r?

Not trying to stir the pot but I have a Z and a 450r. I just bought the 450 2 weeks ago but prior to that I was racing my Z in B class mx racing I beat alot of yfz and trx alot of it depends on the rider. But as far as best bang for your buck the 450r is a better choice over the Z. The R has roughly 10 more horse stock. I had to put about $2000 into my motor on my Z and its making around 42 horse which is not much over a 450 stock. Bottom line go with the 450 cause you will save yourself alot of money.

MX#9
10-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Vette,You stated that you wanted something for "pure rec. riding"and that you would not be racing. MY OPINION is that the z400 would be a better choice. I have a 450r and I like it,but it responds better to an aggresive riding style.The 450r,to me, does not "like" to putt around and the suspension feels very stiff when used in this manner. In other words,it is not very fun when you want to ride a little lazy. I am trying to answer YOUR questions,not sell you a specific brand. I am a Honda guy, and for the type of riding you describe,I find,for me, the 400ex was better. That being said,I also feel the z 400 is a better quad than the 400ex. I hope it helps,good luck.

bradley300
10-16-2004, 09:53 AM
plain and simple, they are two totally different quads and your choice really depends on your riding style. do you lug the motor alot or are you the kind of crazy guy that likes to ride in the upper rpm? if your the latter, the 450r's power will be more suited to you. if you like to lug around alot than the z is probaly a better choice.

also, dont let anyone say you can keep up on th z, this is a completly ignorant, uneduacted statement. if the leader in the sport class at the gncc can run mid pack A class times on 300ex's and blasters against all the 450's than that tells you one thing. THE QUAD DOSENT MATTER and buying the faster quad wont make you any faster.

my vote is for the Z assuming your buying a new 05 model. all the shocks are rebuildable, and with a little money, it can have more of a top end power similar to a 450r, not as powerful, but the top end poweer curve will be there with a good exhaust cams and maybe some porting. if you really wanted to spend money, yosh and gthunder both make 450 bore/stroker kits that run right with all 4 of the other 450's.also a thought tho, this is at least 2000 bucks that you would haveto put in the z that you would not have to put in the r to acheive similar hp numbers

and if it matters, this is a totally un biased opinion, i dont ride a zuke or honda, i ride a yamaha

rollie
10-16-2004, 01:31 PM
DONT hold me to this but i over heard someone talking at a race i was at

he said the Z450 should be out in march or sometime around there..it will be completey race ready with nerfs and everything.....this is what i heard so i could all be wrong but hopefully not!!:)

montyjcm
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I haven't read this whole thing; so sorry if i restate some stuff.

Anyway, I love my suzuki. I mean, the power is fine for me, and i go to the mx track and ride desert. The handling is awesome; all of my friends and I think that it is one of the smoothest rides around (they all have dirtbikes, btw). I am sure that is because I have aftermarket suspension, but that brings me to my next point.

You can find loads of nice z400s for cheap. If you look at my mods below, I got that all for 5000. I am very happy with it.

However, both the yfz and the trxs are super nice bikes with more power. Whatever you go with, I am sure you will have a blast.

allmixedup047
10-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
DONT hold me to this but i over heard someone talking at a race i was at

he said the Z450 should be out in march or sometime around there..it will be completey race ready with nerfs and everything.....this is what i heard so i could all be wrong but hopefully not!!:)
i wasnt supposed to say anything:rolleyes: ,(like it matters to me) but i talked to a team green mechanic that wrenches on bikes for the nations, i had a pretty long conversation with him and finally got it out of him. suzuki will have the new 450 out sometime next spring, not sure about all the nerfs and stuff. this is all he told me. and kawasaki will not have anything like this just in case people were wondering. this is coming straight from a mechanic for kawasaki. he builds the 250 4 strokes for them. i hope he was telling the truth, so dont quote me on this.

Southtown00
10-16-2004, 09:52 PM
The new Z is nice. It has better cams and resivior suspension in the front unlike the previous years. this is my take:

450R
Pro-Lighter, Faster, Better Suspension
Con-Very Expensive, No reverse, No Elec Start
(IMO kickstart is more reliable and you get used to not having reverse. You actually become a beter rider IMO because you learn how to avoid situations when you would need it)

Z
Pro-Cheaper, Nice suspension, Updated, Bang for the buck, reverse, electric start
Con-Heavier, slower

It isnt ganna make a difference what bike you have in terms of keeping up with your friends. Its gonna be on how good you ride. A crappy rider couldnt keep up on any and a good one would on either.

Seano
10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
OK, i'm not a computer dork. what does IMO mean????
get the suzuki if you arent to good of a rider and want to learn how to ride good. get the honda if you know how to ride. get the yami if you want to race

allmixedup047
10-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Seano
OK, i'm not a computer dork. what does IMO mean????
get the suzuki if you arent to good of a rider and want to learn how to ride good. get the honda if you know how to ride. get the yami if you want to race
IMO= in my opinion. it took me a while to relize what all that means too.

sntheticdeluson
10-18-2004, 07:04 PM
all i have to say about all this talk about power of both of them is there is no subsitute for cubic centimeters if you take both and do exactly the same things to them (pipes cam bore stoker kits whatever as long as its the same thing to both) the one that started with more cc's will still have more power ...... and on to the topic of which to buy like the guy at the dealer told me if you need to go faster than the z will go just for trail riding and recreation then you need a another hobby ....... although i did buy the R