PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

theTman
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
ok...

on the front 400ex mounting bracket that is shaped like an "L" the last time i put the bolt on...it went to far so the threads on the BOLT came out of the bracket. so when i try to take the bolt off, there is NO contact between the threads on the bolts and the threads in the bracket....WHAT DO I DO?!?!

i tried putting pressure on the end of the bolt to push it in but it didnt work:(

chucked
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
which mounting backet?????

theTman
09-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by chucked
which mounting backet?????

ok

standing in front of the quad...on the right side is a mounting bracket shaped like a backwards "L" bottom of the L bolts to the frame....top bolts to the plastic

chucked
09-16-2004, 03:04 PM
are you saying you stripped it out? if you did, just nut and bolt it, you may have to drill out the bracket a little to get a decent sized bolt through it.

09-16-2004, 03:21 PM
wrong forum ther ebuddy

theTman
09-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by kfx_roostin_you
wrong forum ther ebuddy

i didnt ask you....

chucked- it ISNT stripped...i just tightened it to much so i ran outta thread on the bolt....i need to get it off to mount up my air scoops

HELP!!?!!

AtvMxRider
09-16-2004, 05:02 PM
wrong forum ther ebuddy

STFU:rolleyes: if you don't have an answer then stay the hell out of his thread

250EXking
09-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
STFU:rolleyes: if you don't have an answer then stay the hell out of his thread

lol

yeah you might need to drill it out, go the the hardware store and get a new bigger bolt with a washer and nut and lock tite it on, if i under stand what ur talking about and got my postions right:) that should do the trick

theTman
09-16-2004, 05:30 PM
haha sry but you dont understand^ lol

lemme try this again

you take a bolt that isnt threaded all the way...there is a little space near the head of the bolt ( the top)

you then take a nut and put it on...and u tighten as hard as u can...and the bolt comes off the thread and onto the empty space

thats what happened to me and i NEED to get it out...i tried everything

NacsMXer
09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Well, sometimes these darn factory fasteners dont want to cooperate with ya. For example, the first time I ever tried to unbolt my stock oil cooler, one bolt on the top came out just fine; the other just spun and spun-it was obviously stripped but still would not come out. So I eventually ended up taking a reciprocating saw to it and just cut the head of the bolt right off. This seems like your best option - just cut the bolt off with a hacksaw or sawzall and either replace it with a completely threaded bolt, or drill out the threaded hole and use a nut and bolt like the others said and be done with it.

theTman
09-16-2004, 05:48 PM
i wish i could....but i would end up choppin up the plastic...but ill try

NacsMXer
09-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Yeah, i understand; sometimes you just have to make do with what youve got when theres no other alternative. Like in my example where i couldnt get this bolt out, it was really tight. At first I tried drilling down the center but had no luck so I resorted to the sawzall, but again it was really tight so the blade kept whackin the frame every time it moved back and forth. It was a pain, and I didnt think it would work, but I made it work. If I understand you right, this is the L bracket that the front plastic mounts to just above the top shock mount right? I too would be worried about screwin up my plastics and I know that its really tight under there so worst comes to worst, I would suggest just cuttting the L-bracket itself and then unbolting the lower portion that bolts into the shock mount area. This bracket is very simple to fabricate and even if you dont want to do that, the bracket would only cost $10 at the most from service honda. Hope that helped.

theTman
09-16-2004, 06:44 PM
ya i dont know what im gonna do....but ill get it out eventually:o

chucked
09-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by theTman

lemme try this again

you take a bolt that isnt threaded all the way...there is a little space near the head of the bolt ( the top)

you then take a nut and put it on...and u tighten as hard as u can...and the bolt comes off the thread and onto the empty space

thats what happened to me and i NEED to get it out...i tried everything

so you mean you cant get it un-loosened? as in its too tight?

theTman
09-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by chucked
so you mean you cant get it un-loosened? as in its too tight?

nooo.....all it does is sit there and spin

chucked
09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
nooo.....all it does is sit there and spin

h/o lemme go look at my 400, i still dont understand wut ur talkin about..... giveme like 20 mins.....

khen
09-16-2004, 07:08 PM

lemme try this again

thats what happened to me and i NEED to get it out...i tried everything I think I understand what your talking about.. the bolt doesn't have threads all the way to the head and when you tightened it up you went beyond the threads to the non-threaded area on the bolt and now you can't get it to grab back onto the threads to take it out.

theTman
09-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by khen
I think I understand what your talking about.. the bolt doesn't have threads all the way to the head and when you tightened it up you went beyond the threads to the non-threaded area on the bolt and now you can't get it to grab back onto the threads to take it out.

THANK YOU!!!!!! some1 finnaly understands:)

khen
09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
So your bolt is somewhat similar to #8 in this picture.

click here (http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/tfplab/photobolt.htm)

Except the non-threaded part is probably smaller in diameter than the threaded part.

theTman
09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
thats what im guessing

khen
09-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I've had this happen before when you try to turn it back out the threads get damaged on the bolt and or nut and it won't grab...

Unfortunatly I don't have a solution off the top of my head... :confused:

I'll have to think about that one.

Punk'd
09-16-2004, 07:51 PM
wrong forum ther ebuddy

your mom

they dont call it OPEN FOURM for nuthin
:grr: