PDA

View Full Version : NHL lockout

Brian450
09-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Just wondering how many people goto NHL games or watch them on TV. I think it sucks that they are locking out the season. I play ice hockey and hate to see this happen. How many other people think this lockout for the season sucks. Would you boycott the season when and if it begins again? Thanks alot oweners:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

86350x
09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Brian450
Just wondering how many people goto NHL games or watch them on TV. I think it sucks that they are locking out the season. I play ice hockey and hate to see this happen. How many other people think this lockout for the season sucks. Would you boycott the season when and if it begins again? Thanks alot oweners:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think it sucks too, I hope they put the ohl on tv for us hockey fans. I haven't played in years, but I still love the sport.

I'm not sure when there going to come to an agreement:confused:

gyt-r450
09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
i think it suxs hard

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 01:38 PM
I think it sucks *** . I'm a big hockey fan and now I wont be able to watch my weekly saturday night game :grr: . You can thank the owners for this one .... they want to implement a salary cap of 38 million dollars for the players . The owners are getting gready . What I can see happening if they got away with the salary cap , ticket prices will jump each year like they have been doing , the owners will be making a ton of cash and the players not getting rewarded for it . You can also thank 6 out of the 30 odd teams out there for this happening . Cuz of these 6 teams the NHL is in debt . The way I see it , if these 6 teams are causing the problem .... get them out of the league ... obviously the cities they are in do not support the sport of hockey . The NHL has not released the name of these cities and teams yet and I wish they would .... personally I believe it's teams from the southern USA . Hockey just isn't as popular in the southern USA as it is in the northern parts and in Canada . I know there are cities that have been beging the NHL to let them have a team . examples are Syracus NY , Hamilton Ontario , I can also see Seatle with a team . Why not give these cities a franchise?? You can thank good old Gary Betman for this screw up also . If anyone remembers when baseball went on strike almost 10 years ago , guess who was one of the persons pulling the shots?? Gary Betman. Look at how long Baseball has suffered since that lockout ... they are still recovering . Gary Betman is now doing the same with the NHL . Get him outta there !!!

As far as TV stations showing the OHL games ... I believe they will promote it alot more . I know our local OHL team ... The Sudbury Wolves is going to benefit from this lockout .... more people are going to focus on junior hockey and see potential future NHL players .
86350X ... you guys in Michigan got one of our teams .... the old North Bay Centenials .... they were about an hour away from me in the next city over . Lots of battles between the wolves and cents were had ... along with the wolves and Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds !!!:devil:

XANDADA
09-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
You can thank the owners for this one .... they want to implement a salary cap of 38 million dollars for the players . The owners are getting gready . What I can see happening if they got away with the salary cap , ticket prices will jump each year like they have been doing , the owners will be making a ton of cash and the players not getting rewarded for it.

I think they're all greedy turds and hope they never play again. College or youth hockey is so much better to watch anyways:macho

Brian450
09-16-2004, 02:09 PM
I know once I move back to Nashville. I will not purchase a game ticket to any home games for as long as the lockout is.

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
I think they're all greedy turds and hope they never play again. College or youth hockey is so much better to watch anyways:macho If they don't settle this , you can bet you won't see NHL hockey for a LONG time . They trying to set a 12 year contract .... dumb move in my opinion .

Brian450
09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
A friend of mine in Nashville heard it might be a year or two before they play again. GOD I hope that is just someone jokeing around.

09-16-2004, 02:23 PM
if you move to nashville you got a place to ride at my house ;) as for hockey..i have already bught like 15 games for this season but if they lockout im getting my money back..i play hockey but I wont be a fan of the NHL anymore if they do lockout..its ridiculous

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 02:32 PM
They have already been locked out ... happened at 12:01 this morning . It looks like it's gunna be a LONG one also . Both sides are not agreeing on major issues . The NHL and it's owners want a salary cap and they said they will not go back to the table to bargain unless the NHLPA ( NHL players association) accepts this . The NHLPA said they will never accept a salary cap . So you know where it's headed . Many of the NHL players are going over seas to play in the european leagues ( ie swedish league , russian league , cechz league) . Also many north american players are joining the American hockey league . I was watching the World Cup of Hockey tourney that wrapped up on Tuesday and many players are disappointed that aren't playing this year .... many figure this will be they're last year in the NHL especially if it's a LONG strike . Players like Mario lemieux are most likely gunna hang up the skates and call it quits .

Brian450
09-16-2004, 02:33 PM
MixMasterMike, Do you play high school hockey or adult league at the sportsplex. Played in C league before I moved to night shift. Then I started playing hockey with a bunch of friends that rented the ice out every saturday night for about an hour and a half. No refs and just played for fun. We called it the FHL ( firemens hockey league ). Ever hear of it at the sportsplex.

Brian450
09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Too bad for Tampa Bay Lighting. Can't even defend LORD STANLEY. NOW THAT SUCKS EVEN MORE THAN THE LOCKOUT.

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Too bad for Tampa Bay Lighting. Can't even defend LORD STANLEY. NOW THAT SUCKS EVEN MORE THAN THE LOCKOUT. Just as well for them .... I was told the Calgary Flames were planning on stripping them of it this year :blah:

Check out this link of a write up on TSN's website .... it's pretty funny when you think about it . Hasek going back to the minor leagues , same with Spezza . Like it's said in the report ... AHL is gunna be rocking this season .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98894

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Here's a good write up about the salary cap . Take the time to read this . Setting a teams salary cap at 30 million is nonsense . Get Gary Bettman out of there and the league will fine . He's doing nothing but f****ng up a good sport and organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98883

09-16-2004, 02:54 PM
MixMasterMike, Do you play high school hockey or adult league at the sportsplex. Played in C league before I moved to night shift. Then I started playing hockey with a bunch of friends that rented the ice out every saturday night for about an hour and a half. No refs and just played for fun. We called it the FHL ( firemens hockey league ). Ever hear of it at the sportsplex. i play roller hockey in bellevue. Im too poor to play ice hockey & I live far away from the rinks...i wouldnt mind trying it though

Rico
09-16-2004, 03:51 PM
any pro sport that has athletes bellyachin over money and doin walk outs, lockouts, etc. deserve to loose everything they got.

As Xandada mentioned... Greedy turds

Plus hockey supports fighting when they don't get their way in a game. ALL other sports besides boxing get penalized and fined for fighting. It's called unsportsman like and promotes young kids to fight when something doesn't go there way in teh game. BOO FUGGIN HOOO Grow up babies.

I won't loose no sleep over it gone...:o

JDiablo
09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
yea dat does suk big time,and we just received are season tickets for the Devils too yesterday:grr: god dammit,o well time to start playing soon

Brian450
09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Would like to know something. Wonder how much money the owners are going to have to refund for season tickets.
MixMasterMike, only paid about $550 for all my gear for ice hockey. The adult leagues at the sportsplex are no checking leagues.

Pappy
09-16-2004, 05:40 PM
dman overpaid basketball players....should lock them up instead of locking them out

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Rico
any pro sport that has athletes bellyachin over money and doin walk outs, lockouts, etc. deserve to loose everything they got.

As Xandada mentioned... Greedy turds

Plus hockey supports fighting when they don't get their way in a game. ALL other sports besides boxing get penalized and fined for fighting. It's called unsportsman like and promotes young kids to fight when something doesn't go there way in teh game. BOO FUGGIN HOOO Grow up babies.

I won't loose no sleep over it gone...:o The thing is , is that it isn't the athletes that are the one's wanting to be locked out . Basically its the league and the owners of the team tha want to set this salary cap . What happens is they set the amount the athletes make , but then they jack ticket prices , concession prices etc and they pocket the money . Its greed on the part of the team owners .

As far as fighting , it's part of this sport . Basketball players go onto the media and b!tch and complain to the press when they got an elbow while playing .... hockey you dont hear the guys complaining about the elbow they got during the game ... if your pissed off enough about it you and the other guy settle it on the ice and it ends there . It's a tough game ..... if you can't be strong enough to take the abuse I'd say to the player DON'T play the sport . I'm all for the fighting that happens . They have the reasons when they fight ( ie running the goalie , taking out the best player etc .)

JRDrider22
09-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
dman overpaid basketball players....should lock them up instead of locking them out

i agree with you 100 percent. also with football players as well

86350x
09-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I think it sucks *** . I'm a big hockey fan and now I wont be able to watch my weekly saturday night game :grr: . You can thank the owners for this one .... they want to implement a salary cap of 38 million dollars for the players . The owners are getting gready . What I can see happening if they got away with the salary cap , ticket prices will jump each year like they have been doing , the owners will be making a ton of cash and the players not getting rewarded for it . You can also thank 6 out of the 30 odd teams out there for this happening . Cuz of these 6 teams the NHL is in debt . The way I see it , if these 6 teams are causing the problem .... get them out of the league ... obviously the cities they are in do not support the sport of hockey . The NHL has not released the name of these cities and teams yet and I wish they would .... personally I believe it's teams from the southern USA . Hockey just isn't as popular in the southern USA as it is in the northern parts and in Canada . I know there are cities that have been beging the NHL to let them have a team . examples are Syracus NY , Hamilton Ontario , I can also see Seatle with a team . Why not give these cities a franchise?? You can thank good old Gary Betman for this screw up also . If anyone remembers when baseball went on strike almost 10 years ago , guess who was one of the persons pulling the shots?? Gary Betman. Look at how long Baseball has suffered since that lockout ... they are still recovering . Gary Betman is now doing the same with the NHL . Get him outta there !!!

As far as TV stations showing the OHL games ... I believe they will promote it alot more . I know our local OHL team ... The Sudbury Wolves is going to benefit from this lockout .... more people are going to focus on junior hockey and see potential future NHL players .
86350X ... you guys in Michigan got one of our teams .... the old North Bay Centenials .... they were about an hour away from me in the next city over . Lots of battles between the wolves and cents were had ... along with the wolves and Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds !!!:devil:

We have the sarnia sting right next door too. I really hope they put the games on the tube!:cool:

Quad18star
09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by 86350x
We have the sarnia sting right next door too. I really hope they put the games on the tube!:cool: They most likely will . I know some of our Ontario channels play OHL games once or twice a week on TV . I didn't really follow the OHL much last year cuz I was busy working and worked every friday when we had home games. I know the Ottawa '67s usually have a good team along with the Guelph Storm and Sarnia Sting .

47501exracer
09-16-2004, 09:00 PM
You mean people actually care about hockey???????

JDiablo
09-16-2004, 09:04 PM
^^^no chit sherlock,why else would we be talking about it,don't rag on someone else's sport cause u dun like it:o

09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
hes mad cause indiana doesnt have a team

abc
09-16-2004, 10:19 PM
don;t really wathc hockey but it is az good sprt...sorry but y did they lock it out

JDiablo
09-17-2004, 06:01 AM
some of the players wanted more money:o i mean its not like they get paid millions of dollars a year like baseball players,the most anyone ever got paid was like jagr when he went to the rangers and was the highest paid * I THINK* that year

Quad18star
09-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
some of the players wanted more money:o i mean its not like they get paid millions of dollars a year like baseball players,the most anyone ever got paid was like jagr when he went to the rangers and was the highest paid * I THINK* that year Jagr is among one of the highest paid players in the league .... his annual salary is a little over $10 Million a year . There are very few players that reach the $10 million mark . Now if you think about how much baseball or basket ball players get paid per year .... the NHL players are getting ripped off .

Basically here is what the League and Owners want . They want to salary Cap the teams at $31 Million .... therefore the team cannot spend money on better players . If a team signs Jagr to a $10 Million dollar a year contract , that leaves then with only $20 Million to fill in the next 20 player spots on the roster . When you think about it , the average NHL player makes +/- $2 million a year .... it is unfesable for the team to operate . Owners want this to happen so they can rake in the money and pay their players less . I know if I was a player like Jagr or Paul Kariya who both make $10 million plus a year I'd be quite mad . A team will not want to pick them up for that amount of money and therefore they will ahve to settle for less than what they are worth .

My opinion ....... F**k the League and F**k the Owners .... they are just greedy and are about to ruin this game . Get Gary bettman the F**k out of this sports .... let him go manage tennis or lawn bowling and F**k those sports up . His already done it to baseball and will do it to hockey !!!

Rico
09-17-2004, 12:38 PM
They have the reasons when they fight ( ie running the goalie , taking out the best player etc .)

:D We buddies so don't think I"m bashin you I"m bashin the sport.

But it's still promoting violence to kids when something doesn't go their way.

It's a grown up temper tantrum basically.

When I get passed in the woods in a race and get forced into a bush or a tree and get hung up. I don't go find the guy after the race and beat his face in because of it. I"d like to but I dont'...:o

For all you guys that are loosing your sport of hockey. Support a real mans support. ATV RACING....:devil:

Dont' hate me guys, just voicin my opinion..

JDiablo
09-17-2004, 01:03 PM

For all you guys that are loosing your sport of hockey. Support a real mans support. ATV RACING....:devil:

Rico not to be gay or anything,but have you ever suited up and gone out on the ice,and played for 60 mins?i don't think so,and let me tell you,that chit is tuff,had to do that one summer 3 times a week in goalie,man i was fit then,lol not now tho

JLanphear
09-17-2004, 01:24 PM
One thing to mention here.......

Are the athletes overpaid? YES.....however.....do you realize how much money the NHL generates? Who would you rather it go to? The execs who sit in a suit and tie all day, or the players that are out there making the sport worth watching? I agree that the players are overpaid in a way, but if they don't get paid, who does? It's not like the team owners and NHL execs are going to say "Hey lets make it so each player makes $40,000 per year no matter how good he is, and then we'll take the extra millions of dollars and sent them to charities all over the world". Just my thoughts on it.

Regarding fighting......it is part of the game. You can't compare it to basketball, football, etc....because the rules of the game are different. It would be like saying.....okay, in football players can tackle the person with the ball, but in basketball they can't....what gives?????

Just my .02

Brian450
09-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Fighting is allways going to be part of hockey. I just hate it when another player goes out of his way to hurt someone. Thus probably putting an end to that players career. I usually play left wind or defense. Played goalie once and not sure I'll play it again but might. Nock on wood, only been hurt three times. Took slap shot to side of knee ( with in 6feet of me ), hit with puck under my right eye and hurt middle finger trying to catch a puck. Don't play with a face sheild either. Sent a e-mail to an NHL team about how I felt about the lockout. If they send a reply back. Will post it on here.

LTandRaptorider
09-17-2004, 09:59 PM
:D We buddies so don't think I"m bashin you I"m bashin the sport.

But it's still promoting violence to kids when something doesn't go their way.

It's a grown up temper tantrum basically.

When I get passed in the woods in a race and get forced into a bush or a tree and get hung up. I don't go find the guy after the race and beat his face in because of it. I"d like to but I dont'...:o

Dont' hate me guys, just voicin my opinion..

Man, this new guy sure is cocky!:eek: :blah:

Florida400EX
09-17-2004, 10:05 PM

Everytime I go to a Maple Leaf game, the stadium is always sold out, while when i go to a panthers game, I doubt the stadium is even half sold. I remember a couple years ago when I was at the Peewee Quebec National tournament, there was an average of 3000 fans per game, just for us kids! I think that Canada should make a league of its own, not just ontario either, everywhere across Canada, until the NHL gets its act together.

Quad18star
09-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Everytime I go to a Maple Leaf game, the stadium is always sold out, while when i go to a panthers game, I doubt the stadium is even half sold. Thats where the League is making mistakes ...... I know it's probably your home team and all .... but the league has to step in and have the team moved from cities that do not support the game and the sport . Bring the teams to cities that will support a team . Go watch any Leafs game like you mentioned ... or any Flames or Canuks games and they are always sold out .... because these cities support the game . I've tried getting tickets for Leafs games like 3 months in advance and was told they were already sold out . Pretty good when a team sells out 19 000 seats 3 months in advance . Like I said ... move the teams to cities that will support ... Rochester has been wanting a team for ages . Hamilton has pleaded with the NHL to give them a team and I know they would sell out each game like Toronto does even though they are just less than an hour away from eachother . The "Golden Horseshoe" which incorporates Toronto , Hamilton , London , Sarnia etc have about 15 Million people living within this region .... I don't see a team going bankrupt wih that amount of people . I guarantee 90% of the population are hockey fans .... it's our national sport .... everyone knows someone that is either a fan or plays hockey .

Because of 6 teams ..... 6 owners ..... this game will be put on hold for a few years . I wouldn't expect to see NHL hockey until 2006 . If the League does what they want and doesn't move on their agreements , You might not see anything until 2012 . I read they collective bargaining agreement somewhere on the net ( wish I could remember where) ..... and it is rediculous how far apart both sides are . The League had the last 3 to 4 years to come up with a new agreement and talk with the NHLPA ... what did they do??? They waiting until 6 hours before the the contract expired . League Manangement ...including all the Owners of the teams are corrupt . If they get their way , this game will never be the same again . I say bring back the game to the original 6 teams !!!:devil:

Punk'd
09-17-2004, 10:26 PM
I really dont mind St. Louis could never win the stanely cup anyway:rolleyes:

zzbudzz
09-18-2004, 07:50 AM
does NHL have revenue sharing like other sports? i do know much about hockey....

Brian450
09-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey FLORIDA400EX, whcih are the 6 teams causing the NHL to be in debt. Just hope you don't say Nashville Predators. :D

Rico
09-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
Rico not to be gay or anything,but have you ever suited up and gone out on the ice,and played for 60 mins?

Nope but I suit up and go race for 150 minutes NONE STOP...:macho No brakes, no penalty boxes, no end of periods or quarters or anything else. And I don't get mad and try to beat someone up when the pass me or cut me off. Temper tantrums aren't allowed in ATV Racing. Well it is if your racing in the mini class..

I never said Hockey wasn't tuff or demanding, I can see that when I've watched it on TV.

I love gettin you guys all fired up.....:D If you saw me on ice skates you'd have a good laugh..:o

Florida400EX
09-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Nope but I suit up and go race for 150 minutes NONE STOP...:macho No brakes, no penalty boxes, no end of periods or quarters or anything else. And I don't get mad and try to beat someone up when the pass me or cut me off. Temper tantrums aren't allowed in ATV Racing. Well it is if your racing in the mini class..

I never said Hockey wasn't tuff or demanding, I can see that when I've watched it on TV.

I love gettin you guys all fired up.....:D If you saw me on ice skates you'd have a good laugh..:o

Hockey is much more tiring then atv racing, I know because I do both. Go run outside for 2 hours straight no stop, and that will show you what is like to practice at a top leval. Just because there is time between periods, doesnt meen that they dont train or practice.

Brian450
09-18-2004, 07:11 PM
When I first started playing ice hockey. It took me about 4 months to learn how to stop. Would skate to other end and if I had room to turn arounf withour stopping I would. If I didn't, I would just run straight into the boards to stop. :devil:
So for those that play hockey. Whats your worse injury so far? Also, did your league allow women?

JDiablo
09-18-2004, 09:41 PM
When I first started playing ice hockey. It took me about 4 months to learn how to stop. Would skate to other end and if I had room to turn arounf withour stopping I would. If I didn't, I would just run straight into the boards to stop. :devil:
So for those that play hockey. Whats your worse injury so far? Also, did your league allow women?

lmao,4 months wow that a lil long,but i used to stop by making a V now i just spray anyone with ice that falls on the ground lol.But yes i do agree hockey is very very tuff.....and how about the playoffs?Nonstop overtime till someone scores,back in 2000 i was at the devs/stars game that went into 3 overtimes and gay *** modano had to tip that POS shot past brodeur,yea wat time did that start?8 o'clock,wat time did it end?almost 2 in the morning,so i don't want to hear anything,chit i was tired from watching it,they started running out of food and stuff...o well i didn't go to skewl the next day,only thing good came out of that game,but the next game we won the stanely cup:devil: :devil: :macho :macho :cool: :D

Brian450
09-19-2004, 08:22 AM
I know, 4 months is a long time to learn how to stop on the ice. But it sure was fun.:D

JDiablo
09-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I know, 4 months is a long time to learn how to stop on the ice. But it sure was fun.:D

i still remember when i first stopped,i was on player skates,next week i wanted to be goalie,lol flat blade,man i can spray high:devil:

Rico
09-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Hockey is much more tiring then atv racing, I know because I do both. Go run outside for 2 hours straight no stop, and that will show you what is like to practice at a top leval. Just because there is time between periods, doesnt meen that they dont train or practice.

So you've raced your quad for 2 and a half hours non stop??? I"M prety sure you race MX which I did for 3 years so I know what it takes to race. I used to get tired on lap 4 in MX, but there was only 1 more lap left so maybe 5 more minutes of racing. In XC I get tired on lap 2, and there's over an HOUR left of racing.

I used to run cross country in high school and we ran for well over 3 hours non stop 5 days a week after school, so I know what that is like. I still find XC racing is harder on the body.:macho

Again I never said Hockey wasn't hard, difficult or demanding, but I don't see it being any harder than XC racing.

Sounds like were some tuff SOB's....;)

Brian450
09-19-2004, 11:32 AM
The one and only time I played goalie. Could hardly skate with all those dam pads on. The one cool thing was, when someone took a slap shot. The puck seemed to be in slow motion for me. I know the puck was going fast but it was just weird.

JDiablo
09-19-2004, 11:34 AM
i still say the best feeling is split glove save,no fcking doubt about it,and seeing that glove wing back like that....ahh i wanna go play now:p

Brian450
09-19-2004, 03:43 PM
The best part I liked about being a forward or defenseive player. Was when you took a slap shot and you hit the post. Did that once on a breakaway and it made the loudest noise and alot more from the rest of the players.

Brian450
09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Got this off of nhl.com
http://nhlcbanews.com/reaction/fansurvey0904.html

Check out what canada belives about the NHL. The USA and CANADA are not that far off.

Quad18star
09-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Interesting polls . It's true Canadian and American fans aren't too far apart on some issues .

I still think throwing in a salary cap will kill this sport and drive the better players to go play in other leagues . Forsberg has signed on in the European leagues to a one year contract , so even if the NHL goes back to play , you wont see this player returning for atleast a year . I beleive there will be many players following his foot steps .

The one poll that really got me was the one about Small market teams . Well hell if they are small market that tells you something ... get the teams out of those cities . Bring them into larger markets . Larger cities , cities where hockey is popular . I personally can't see how Anahiem can support a team ... sure they have a few million people , but being out in California , the people are more into other sports such as Basketball, Baseball and Football. Thats my opinion on it . Like I've said earlier .... cities like Hamilton , Syracus , Seattle would better support teams than many other cities .

Funny how they mentioned that the league lost $273 million dollars , but failed to mention , they made 2.3 billion dollars .

A salary cap is not what this sport needs . It needs level headed management people that have the balls to tell a player he isn't gunna make 12 million a season . But they damn well know that if they don't pay him the 12 million a year , the next team down the line will .

If you want to see interesting hockey , theres gunna be a price on the owners and the leagues part . I'm pretty sure many of the players won't mind packing their bags and playing the European leagues for the rest of their careers ... hell they league is just as strong as this north american league and they have better support.

ATVVogt
09-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Somebody from a real hockey state needed to chime in. Here in Minnesota we lost the North Stars to Dallas. As a life-long hockey player of 20+ years, it hurt to see the team I idolized as a child leave. Then we forgot about the NHL. It didn't take long. We have 5 Division I college hockey teams in the state, not to mention 3 others within driving distance. I cheered for the University of Minnesota (my alma mater) during its two National titles more than the new Minnesota Wild making it to the Stanley Cup Western Conference Finals. College hockey is where it's at. A better atmosphere, kids playing their hearts out and fans get into the games more.

By the way, racing ATVs and playing hockey are about the same as far as physical demands go. Both are tough in different ways. For example, ATV racing is more mentally demanding opposed to hockey, a team sport.

Quad18star
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
150 NHL players so far that are going to the European leagues ..... many of them are bigger name players also .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=99457

Brian450
09-22-2004, 02:14 PM
ATVVogt, who are you refering to about "somebody from a real hockey state". Just wondering and not starting something. If its me, I grew up in New York ( Buffalo Sabres: NHL and Rochester Americans: AHL). Then moved to Nashville, TN the year the Nashville Predators ( NHL ) started playing. Gonna leave the Florida teams out of this one:D

Florida400EX
09-22-2004, 06:53 PM
The panthers are a freaking disgrace, they killed the team, and heart in South Florida. The Lightning are a pretty good team though. Main reason panthers are horrible, is because I'm sure our prices on tickets are way higher then the average father can afford. With ticket prices costing over $75 per person, plus $7 for a soda! a lot of bussiness goes to kids and parents who want to watch a game, but can't, so choose to go to a Marlin's game, where dad can take the whole family out to a game for less then it would be for one person at a panthers game. I'm sure the panthers will fold eventualy, but I'll be long gone out of Florida before that ever happens, and besides they just built a new arena.

Quad18star
09-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I hear you on the ticket prices . Air Canada Center to watch a Toronto Maple Leafs game .... if you want to be in the first 2 levels , expect to pay $120 a ticket or more . Playoff time , say hello to $300 + for a ticket . Stanley Cup Finals .... Ive seen ticket box prices of $500 or more . Scalpers were selling Playoff tickets at almost $700 a shot. Any team that makes the final round , $1000 a shot .

And yes the concession prices are rediculous .... who wants to pay 5 bucks for a pop .... 9$ for nachos ..... 7 bucks for a hot dog . Don't tell me they aren't making money . I've worked in restaurants before and my parents ahve owned one .... for a large fountain soda ... the price to make it is less than 25 cents .

Can you say price gauging???

ATVVogt
09-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Brian, Just saw Florida and figured you were from the South. New York will do though. That's where the Gophers won their second National Championship! Still, I don't think anybody notices that the NHL season is gone. Too small of viewership around the US. Canada is definitely nuts about the game, though eh.

DEAL
09-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Hockey is still better than football ..

JDiablo
09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DEAL
Hockey is still better than football ..

word to that:D

Brian450
09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
GOLF is better:devil:

Quad18star
09-23-2004, 05:20 PM
GOLF is better:devil: Only if you're a Panthers fan . :blah: You get to see your team on the links more than you see them on the ice :devil:

09-24-2004, 12:41 PM
i dont watch much hockey but it all sounds like a bunch of rick guys crying about not having enough money

thomps6s
09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
A GOOD CAUSE - PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING - HOCKEY PLAYERS NEED YOU !

Hundreds of Professional Hockey players in our very own nation are going to be locked out, living at well below the seven-figure salary level. And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their life giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the upcoming lockout situation.

But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (...that's less than the cost of a large screen projection TV...) you can help an NHL player remain economically viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a hockey player it could mean the difference between spending the lockout golfing in Florida or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, or a month of medical insurance, but to a hockey player, $700 will partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate, and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the player lounging during the lockout on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (...for a signed photo, please include an additional $150...). Put the photo on your refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your NHL player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a locked out NHL player. My preference is (check below):
[ ] Forward
[ ] Defenseman
[ ] Goaltender
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number/ask for the cost of a specific team - $10 per minute)
[ ] Jaromir Jagr (Higher cost: $32,000 per day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the duration of the lockout. Please send me a picture of the player I have sponsored, along with a Jaromir Jagr 2001 Income Statement and my very own Bob Goodenow (Executive Director of the NHLPA player's Union) pin to wear proudly on my hat (include $80 for hat).
Name: ___________________________
Telephone: ___________________________

[ ] MasterCard [ ] Visa [ ] American Express [ ] Other
Account #: _______________________ Exp. Date: _______

86350x
09-30-2004, 11:31 AM
From what I've seen hockey players don't make as much as the other sports. (Especially basket ball!:rolleyes: )

Most of em are making about 100 grand, instead of the millions you might think

Hopefully they'll put the ohl,or the ihl on the tube. No hockey season just wouldn't seem right to some of us.

Quad18star
09-30-2004, 12:51 PM
I won't argue that Hockey Players make a good salary .... but as stated , not all of them are making millions of dollars . Only about 5-7% of the players are in the million dollar + salaries . Minimum salary in the NHL is around $125 000 to $150 000 dollars . Yeah it's a not bad salary , but not nearly as much as baseball and basketball players . I figure atleast 75% of basketball players are million dollar + players .

I have a cousin that played in the NHL and wasn't your million dollar player . He played with Jersey , Tampa , New York Rangers and a couple other teams .... Troy Mallette . His duty on the team was to be an enforcer and protect the million dollar players . He made minimum wage as an NHL player . It's a hard strain on a family when your husband / father is away 320 days out of the year to play hockey .

This is another issue that the NHLPA is fighting for , not just the salary cap . Right now an NHL season consists of aprox 80 games per team . The NHLPA wants to bring this down into the low 70 high 60 games per season . This will allow for more traveling time and allow husbands to go and spend more time with their families .

Both sides need to come to an agreement soon or else this sport is going to die . Many teams are already thinking about giving up and closing down . I wouldn't be surprised if the league lost 6 or 8 teams by the end of this strike . Maybe it would be a good thing .... bring the league back to the original 6 teams .

NHL trivia ...... name the original 6 teams !!!! :devil:

thomps6s
09-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I am sorry, but I still don't feel bad for anyone that gets paid over $100,000 to play a sport that they enjoy. NHL Minimum Salary is $150,000. By 2004, the minimum salary will be $185,000.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2002/06/23/free_agency/

I-7
09-30-2004, 01:16 PM

NHL trivia ...... name the original 6 teams !!!! :devil:

Bruins...Maple Leafs...Canadians :p ......Ranger.....Blackhawks and Red Wings!

tamehart
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
Greed has become a part of a lot of peoples life. I am sure we all are greedy in some ways. The lockout wouldn't mean anything if the entertainment industry wasn't as big. Hopefully when quads get to the level of proMX, we won't see that much greed. Hopefully the union for the NHL can work something out...someone has to give...I have a feeling the owners will give in. Look at the NFL, they went on strike years ago and look how well the owners and the union work there.

Quad18star
09-30-2004, 01:38 PM
It happens all over in every kind of event .... be it sports or entertainment .

Is it right for the NHL to cap a players salary at $150 000 a year but allow the Teams to jack ticket prices and let the guys that sit in offices with suits and ties cash in on the revenues?

Lets say the average price of a ticket is $100 .We all know if you want front row you're paying atleast $300 during regular season and if you want nose bleeds section you're paying $60 ... but for arguement sakes I'll round this off at $100 .

so $100 X a packed house ( 20 000 seats in an average arena ) .

Thats 2 million dollars per game

Now take that 2 Mil X it by an average of 45 homes games per year ..... thats 90 Million a season generated off of ticket sales alone .

Now you go have a beer ( 7-10 dollars each) ... have a Soda costs you $4 ( it costs less than 25 cents to make a large fountain soda) and maybe 1 or 2 hot dogs at $5 a shot . The owner brings in say $100 000 a night because of this . Remember , even if the owner doesn't own the arena he's playing in , he still gets a high percentage of the revenue of concessions .

Back to the 90 million ..... it doesnt just end with ticket sales and concessions .... merchandise ..... $200 for a replica jersey .... $50 for a t-shirt same for a hat etc etc . That brings in millions for a team once again . Then you have team sponsors that donate money .... all those little advertisement boards along the rink cost big bucks per year ... once again given to the team and owners .

But Im not gunna factor that in ... I'm gunan use the 90 million from HOME game ticket sales ... remember even when a team plays out of town they get some money from that .

NHL wants to salary cap the team at 34 million i believe it is ( havent followed it too much lately) ..... so take that 34 Mil out of the 90 mil .... you're left with 56 million for the team owners .... I'd say thats making a good buck .

Let the owners have their way , and I guarantee you'll see ticket prices go up even more . I'm sorry but when I pay $100 a ticket ... I want most of that money to go to players .... not Owners to buy a new private Leer Jet and spend all year in Cancun and not come to cheer on their team .

Also .... theres been a lot of talk here in Canada about the Owners of the Canadian teams whinning about wanting Tax Breaks . We pay too much ....whine whine whine . They make millions each year ... pay the damn taxes .

86350x
10-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Try buying a ticket in detriot:rolleyes: If you can even get one. They always play better in the playoffs when they have more grinders too. Last year and the year before the roster salary must have been pretty hefty.

Tickets were more expensive last year then ever here!

I don't think there should be a cap either, hopefully there will be something worked out. Otherwise, no more NHL is a possibility.

Quad18star
10-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Well , it's over a month now since the NHL has been on strike . They would have started regular season play just last week if it wasn't for the damn lockout by the League and Owners . It doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon either . There's also reports floating around , that a few teams got fined $250 000 for talking about the strike and telling the media , that if it is not settled , that the League is looking into starting up using fresh new players and leaving those that are already part of the NHL without anything . I wish I could meet Gary Bettman cuz I'd give him a switch kick in the nutz .

So with the NHL on strike , and me being deprived on hockey , I went out and bought tickets to watch our local OHL Team play lastnight . Me and the old man went and watched our Sudbury Wolves play against the division leaders ... Brampton Battalions . It was a great game ..... played a solid 3 periods and a great overtime period . Ended up in a 2-2 tie . I was amazed at how many people showed up ..... the arena was nearly sold out with probably only 500 seats left out of the 6 000 available . I guess with the NHL on strike .... the OHL is cashing in on it . Solid checking , good passing and great goals ..... oh and one pretty good fight .