PDA

View Full Version : slow starting

motoboy66
09-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok guys, here is my trouble. My EX is stock except for a WB rev box. Now when I do dead engine starts, is doesnt start up as fast as other 400's. Mine seems to crank for a second or two befor it fires. Others seam to fire up right away. It has done this ever since I owned it, even with the stock CDI. I run a #42 pilot. Do you think it is too rich, or is it something else? It runns strong once it is running. This starting trouble is killing me on these dead engine race starts. It would be nice to be at the front of the pack instead of watching everyone leave me while I try to get mine fired.

cals400ex
09-16-2004, 01:53 AM
with your bike being stock and having a 42 pilot jet in, i would make sure your fuel screw is no more than 2.25 turns out from lightly seated. as you may know, those WB boxes are known to give starting problem. i would make sure your spark plug is good and gapped properly. also, if you installed a new battery that may help. you can get a battery with more power that fits in the stock location on these bikes. pappy knows all about this and even the part #'s for these batteries.

are you a serious racer or just do it for fun? just wondering because i am not too far from you.

bigbadktm
09-16-2004, 08:00 AM
another thing to take into consideration i the air filter, and the exhaust. if either are filthy or clogged, you will have a harder time starting. that rev box also just adds on to the original starting problem, not helping at all until its started.

just go the the bike 1 thing at a time, checking, cleaning, replacing, and see how it goes from there.

what kind of air filter do you use? if not a k&n with an outerware, you might want to look into that, or a free-er flowing one. might want to try a different heat range plug as well. if you are racing with the 8, you might want to try the 9.

cals400ex
09-16-2004, 03:19 PM
the ngk drp 9z plug will only make the bike harder to start if anything. it is a colder plug.

motoboy66
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your input. I run a Uni filter with a HMF slip on. It has always done this since the day it came from the dealer. I am thinking of the bigger battery, but am worried about the mounting brakets with the heavier battery. Everything is clean, and I guess I will start with the air screw first. I think mine is 3 turns out.

Thanks

cals400ex
09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
i don't think this battery is much different from the stock one but it has more power. it may be a tad bigger but this is the one most people upgrade too when their stock one fails. pm pappy and he can give you all the details. also, you could search and probably find info and even the part # is floating around this site.

modracer5
09-18-2004, 01:19 PM
The battery you are looking to get is the the yt12abs. It should help you out. This battery has more cranking amps over stock and is only slightly taller. The difference in height will not affect the mounting at all.