PDA

View Full Version : math problems

Pappy
09-15-2004, 06:37 PM
ok, i cant get it.

what is the next 3 numbers in this pattern? and what is the mathmatical rule for it?

1458 486 162 54

stupid driver
09-15-2004, 06:38 PM
18, 6, 2,

stupid driver
09-15-2004, 06:40 PM
its just the quotient of three, 1458 /486 = 3
486/162= 3 and so on

Pappy
09-15-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks!

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
thanks! Helping out the kids Pappy??? Hell I took Engineering .... a few years of continuous math classes and I couldn't get it either :confused:

Pappy
09-15-2004, 07:05 PM
hell thats 6th grade stuff:(

i dont remeber seeing that at all...maybe i shouldnt have hooked so many days.

have you ever seen what 8th and 9th grade stuff was like in the late 1800's:eek: any old timer that sez he only has him a 8th grade education is a damn smart feller.

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 07:08 PM

have you ever seen what 8th and 9th grade stuff was like in the late 1800's:eek: any old timer that sez he only has him a 8th grade education is a damn smart feller. I had some girl asking me about some grade 11 math the other day and she showed me , it took me a good 20 minutes to figure it out using my Texas Instruments graphing calculator . What ever happened to simple math ?? Hell they teach these kids all this graphing stuff yet I go to McD's and pay and the girl has to punch in what amount I give her ... then give me the change and she has to triple check to make sure she gave me the right amount ... hello My meal was $4.70 I gave you $5 .... how hard is it to figure out ?!?!?!

Pappy
09-15-2004, 07:11 PM
i think education suffered badly from the mid 70's to theearly 90's.

thats alot of parents out there that have no clue how to help thier kids.

310Rduner
09-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Lmao Pappy. Wait til he gets into algebra, algebra 2, geometry, and then if he goes for 3 years of highschool math... trigonometry pre-calculus. I'm in trig/pre-calc right now, and almost the entire class is at school a full half hour before class starts getting help. Including me, these are also the same people who skipped ahead a year to algebra in junior high. Ahh.. wait til he gets into chemistry, and then physics....:devil:

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 07:15 PM

thats alot of parents out there that have no clue how to help thier kids. I know while growing up , my parents didn't a have clue what they were teaching me in little school and high school . My dad has his grade 10 ( he did grade 10 3 times and they kicked him out of school) and my mom only has her grade 10 also . Growing up it was either I knew the chit or I was screwed cuz my parents couldn't help . Many times I heard my teachers say ... "well why didn't your parents help you?" My responce " Cuz they didn't learn this crap and they don't care how much Y value is equal to or how much X value is equal to"

p@iNn3ck
09-15-2004, 07:19 PM

mmmm.. good ole DOD school systems... never get held back, no matter what your grades! :devil:

Toadz400
09-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I've already had Algebra, Algebra II, Accelerated Geometry and I was starting Pre-Calc (Trig) this year, but I dropped out to take it next year, I figured working a job everynight and on the weekends doesn't leave me much time to spend hours figuring out problems without a $100 calculator I can't afford.

The kind of things that we have to figure out in class these days is freaking insane, none of it seems to make any sense or seem useful...I wish they would show us where it is used and why we need to know it, instead of "you just have to", that way I would have hell of a lot more motivation to learn. I think we need better teachers that actually care about their job and what they are teaching the children instead of someone that's just doing it because they can't do anything else.

Like my American History 1 teacher, I hate history but he actually has a passion for teaching and shows it in his lectures. Most of the time he's making jokes about people in our history and making it actually fun and enjoyable to be in the class, I just wish every class was like that so it wasn't such a pain to get up at 6 in the morning to go to school.

09-15-2004, 07:49 PM
lol i jsut got done with my math homework were doin variables with like numbers in the 1000s..makes mewanna punch something when its like 3633-n=2876

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree .... I wished that the teachers would ahve told me where I was going to use half the stuff I learnt in high school . I figured out were some of it ends up getting used when I took Civil Engineering and started using equations to figure out torques and shear moments and crap . I had one college prof teach us something ... then after we did the exam for the chapter he told us to forget what we had just learnt cuz he was about to show us the EASIER and QUICKER way of doing it . He turned a 3 page calculation into something I was able to do in about 45 seconds and 5 lines .

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by kfx_roostin_you
lol i jsut got done with my math homework were doin variables with like numbers in the 1000s..makes mewanna punch something when its like 3633-n=2876 3633-2876=n

that's simple chit man !!!

numbers in the thousands are no diferent than single digit numbers or numbers in the millions .... it's all the same!!!

I-7
09-15-2004, 07:53 PM
lol i jsut got done with my math homework were doin variables with like numbers in the 1000s..makes mewanna punch something when its like 3633-n=2876

LMAO :D . Thanks for the laugh man but wait until you get into advanced trig and calculus. I hate math and in my opinion the only thing that they should teach is adding, subtracting, multiplying, division ext. Throw some easy geometry in there such as area. Maybe alittle alegebra too but this stuff they teach you now. Its ridiculous. I dont understand how http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba/CalcOneDIRECTORY/continuitydirectory/img2.gif will help you in life....... I usually just pass math with D's or C's but in New York we have these stupid Regents tests where if you dont pass them, you cant graduate :mad:

honda92
09-15-2004, 08:03 PM
as a senior i have never understood fractions. i couldnt mutiply, divide, or add them if i was asked too. i took 2 years of math and still not a clue so i stopped taking math classes because it seemed like a waste to me to do fractions and story problems. or another good one is when you have to do story problems and you can figure out the right answer, but you didn't do it in the right formula so it is concidered wrong.

ehh after u do about 40 of them your brain starts to get aggervated

400exrules
lmao thats nothin, wait till u get into point slope forms, which by the way are completely useless and I, and almost everyone else will never use any of the math they have learned past about 5th grade... its a fat waste of time, ill never need to know any of this stuff really.

prepare for this crap in a few years pappy:

y=mx+b

m = y1+-y2/x1+=x2

ax+by=c

(y-y1)=m(x-x1)

AHHHH omg those formulas dont even begin to scratch the surface of all the redicoulously pointless crap i have to learn. And im only in Geometry.

Some of this bullsh^t gets so far fetched, redicoulous, and impossible to understand that i just give up and quit, its all a bunch of horsesh^t to me. Its like someone woke up one day and mixed the times tables with the alphabet and said its a formula and all the sudden everyone HAS TO LEARN IT or the world will end cuz we know we will always use these formulas every single day in our daily life and we need them to survive...OMG!!!!!! :grr: :mad:

dont even get me started on redicoulous crap we have to learn :grr:

310Rduner
09-15-2004, 08:11 PM

.....:huh

Here, this is some work you'll be doing in the later part of algebra 2.

Use the inverse of the matrix to solve the system of equations

2x +3y+4z = 14
5x +y +2z = 24
6x +8y/ 7z = 29

Some pre-calculus..

Without a calculator, identify the conic section.

4x^2 +9y^2 +24x +36y - 72 = 0

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
lmao thats nothin, wait till u get into point slope forms, which by the way are completely useless and I, and almost everyone else will never use any of the math they have learned past about 5th grade... its a fat waste of time, ill never need to know any of this stuff really.

y=mx+b

m = y1+-y2/x1+=x2

ax+by=c

(y-y1)=m(x-x1)

AHHHH omg those formulas dont even begin to scratch the surface of all the redicoulously pointless crap i have to learn. And im only in Geometry.

Some of this bullsh^t gets so far fetched, redicoulous, and impossible to understand that i just give up and quit, its all a bunch of horsesh^t to me. Its like someone woke up one day and mixed the times tables with the alphabet and said its a formula and all the sudden everyone HAS TO LEARN IT or the world will end cuz we know we will always use these formulas every single day in our daily life and we need them to survive...OMG!!!!!! :grr: :mad:

dont even get me started on redicoulous crap we have to learn :grr: Ahhhh the memories . I will have to disagree with you about it being useless though . y=mx+b is very common if you take ANY type of Engineering program . There are some formulas out there , that can be broken down to very simple formulas which once again if you take an Engineering pogram , they will teach you just because you can save time .... and time is money !!!! I'd suggest anyone taking math courses go out and buy a Texas Instrument calculator Ti-83+ if you don't have one .... enter the numbers , press the button and it does the work for you. And if you get really good with the calculator , you can write your own programs to solve other math problems . I have about 10 extra programs in my calculator to help solve in different types of math equations .... some I used for soil mechanics , others for surveying calcs . Saves lots of time . Plus you can get games on it and the teacher will think you're doing homework :devil:

400exrules
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
yah i got a Ti-83+ and someone stole it after i had it for like 4 months = ( i had games and everything on it. Omg my mom got so mad, ppl just piss me off, they go steal my calculator that my mom spent $90 on and they go sell it for like $5 to some other kid. That thing was supposed to last me...and money is kinda tight around my house hold so that really got my temper goin...

Watch your calculators guys if u get one, they disapear easily

Quad18star
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Yeah ... Ive seen many of those calcs disappear and a lot of them selling for very cheap . They are worth the money though . I used mine from grade 11 till last year of college .

quadracer511
09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
ok ive got a plan it might take sum math to exacute it but we go creat a time machine go back in time first to late 80s n pick up mass amounts of 250rs after we go n kill every guy that thought of math

plkmonster2
09-15-2004, 09:20 PM
lol, I'm on Honors Algebra 2. Highest math class I can take as a Sophomore. This stuff is startign to get confusing.The dang absolute value stuff is starting to piss me off. equations, fractions, decimals, thats easy stuff. Getting into the slope-intercept and point slope stuff is what gets real confusing. m=Y1-Y2 over X1-X2. Atleast I rember the slope :) lol Math... What a great subject right? Anyone done the FOIL stuff? Easy too, except when you gotta amek your equations and simplyfy em. Great stuff. Can't wait for A.P. Trig next year! Oh yeah, and those graphing calcs are spendy. The teacher wants us to egt the TI-84 silver. $125?? For a calculater? What ever happened to the 2 and 3 dollar simple ones? lol. I guess the extra 122 is worth playing games, haha.

fastkid400
09-15-2004, 09:26 PM
ok ive got a plan it might take sum math to exacute it but we go creat a time machine go back in time first to late 80s n pick up mass amounts of 250rs after we go n kill every guy that thought of math
that'll work, im in:macho
i was supposed to be in honors geometry this year, but last year i forked up algebra in 8th grade, it was starting to get impossible unless u lived with the teacher:eek2: i dont think so. so im taking algebra this year, and its sooo easy, its funny, im not looking forward to the next few years :'(

310Rduner
09-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by plkmonster2
lol, I'm on Honors Algebra 2. Highest math class I can take as a Sophomore. This stuff is startign to get confusing.The dang absolute value stuff is starting to piss me off. equations, fractions, decimals, thats easy stuff. Getting into the slope-intercept and point slope stuff is what gets real confusing. m=Y1-Y2 over X1-X2. Atleast I rember the slope :) lol Math... What a great subject right? Anyone done the FOIL stuff? Easy too, except when you gotta amek your equations and simplyfy em. Great stuff. Can't wait for A.P. Trig next year! Oh yeah, and those graphing calcs are spendy. The teacher wants us to egt the TI-84 silver. $125?? For a calculater? What ever happened to the 2 and 3 dollar simple ones? lol. I guess the extra 122 is worth playing games, haha.

Just wait for Functions, inverse functions, the evil CONIC section, matrices, hyperbola's, synthetic division.... Have fun. Algebra 2 is exceedingly EASY compared to trigonometry and pre-calculus. (The trig/pre-calculus are both taught in the same class, just different focus each semester at my school.)

310Rduner
09-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I basically spend 3 of my 5 classes doing math. I have trig/pre-calc one day, and then the next day I have physics, and then computer accounting. The math in physics and accounting is a joke compared to trig/pre-calc.

Toadz400
09-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
.....:huh

Here, this is some work you'll be doing in the later part of algebra 2.

Use the inverse of the matrix to solve the system of equations

2x +3y+4z = 14
5x +y +2z = 24
6x +8y/ 7z = 29

Some pre-calculus..

Without a calculator, identify the conic section.

4x^2 +9y^2 +24x +36y - 72 = 0

Ahh the damn conic crap, I never got that because I was gone for two weeks on vacation, so the teacher never bothered to teach me it even when I asked...I went from a 98% to a 35% because I went on vacation, supposedly I was supposed to get the work done WHILE I was on vacation, WITHOUT knowing how to do it...so I said f' it and didn't do it, because obviously I didn't know how. Yea...I managed to get my grade up to a 70 something and passed with a C...go me.

This year I dropped Trig because I couldn't keep my eyes open the entire hour and the teacher is just horrible at teaching, a study hall to me is much more useful than struggling with trying to teach yourself trig functions and everything.

allmixedup047
09-16-2004, 11:07 PM
yeah my first day in college. i got into my math class and we where doing things that i did my freshman year of highschool. i was like sweet. i know this chit. then as time progressed we got into about my senior year of highschool and i was still doing good. then it passed me doing about mach one and im lost in that class. i sit there trying to stay awake watching the clock untill the class lets out. heres one problem.

1^2/4 + y^2/9 = 1

36(1/4+y^2/9)=36x1

36x1/4 36xy^2/9 = 36

9+4y^2 =36

4y^2 = 27

y^2 + 27/4

y=+/ square root of 27/4

y= +/2.6
then you have to graph an ellipse.

thats all one problem. JUST ONE!!!:huh . yeah i can do it. but i have about 120 of them a night for homework.:mad: i do about 5 and quit. absolutly no calculators!

hondarider2006
09-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Man I wish math was as easy for me as it is for some of you guys...:( I am taking geometry right now, and wow....ya I don't get it at all. She gives us a TON of homework a night, and working from 4-7 after school, and coming home and eating dinner...that doesn't leave me a lot of time to do anything. I wish homework was never invented....damn that person:mad:

wilkin250r
09-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Piece of cake...

Do you guys want to know WHY and WHERE you use all this stuff that you find pointless? It's higher up the ladder, in college, in higher education, and that's where the real money is. Even if you get a degree in journalism you'll need to pass a college algebra course, that alone is something.

You want to get into a technical field? You'll need math out the wazoo. Mathematics is the language of describing physical phenomenon. Calculus is used to describe anything that is changing, and I cannot even convey to you the range of applications. But in order to understand Calculus, you need to understand graphs, and the slope of a line. In order to understand the slope of a line, you need to understand fractions, and Algebra. In order to understand Algebra, you'll need basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It's a building block. You can't write a novel if you don't know basic paragraph structure. And you can't understand paragraphs until you know how to form a basic sentence, and you certainly can't form a sentence if you don't even know the meaning and spelling of the actual words and vocabulary that you are using. Building blocks.

Sure, you can make money without going to college. You can make pretty good money working construction. But how many 50yr old construction workers do you see? Not many, most are pretty young, and do you know why? Because physical labor will destroy your body. As you approach 40 yrs old, you'll realize that your body can't keep up, and you are no longer able to do the only thing that you know how to do. You can either make a living working with your mind, or make a living working with your back. And trust me, making a living with your back doesn't pay nearly as well, and doesn't last nearly as long. THAT is why you need math, because it describes everything in the entire world. From drug-blood concentration levels (pharmecuticals) to complex business projection formula (accounting and business management) to electrical power generation and transmission (electrical engineering) to strengths of materials (mechanical engineering) to digital logic and signal processing (computer science).

Me personally, I don't use calculus every day at work. In fact, I don't even use the slope of a line. But I design products that utilize electromagnetic fields in order to funtion, and I have to understand those electromagnetic fields and their interactions to properly design my products. And in order to understand them, I need complex mathematics, because the only way to describe and predict those electromagnetic fields. Math is a language, and you need to learn the vocabulary, spelling, and sentence structure before you can learn the application.

Quad18star
09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
wilkin250r .... you always got good stuff in all your posts . I 've tried to explain to some of these guys where math will be used .... and you come out and say it soooooooo much easier . You are correct about the building block scenario ..... you must first know the basics before learning the complex stuff . . But once you get into some of the complex stuff , alot of it is repetition . I agree with you also about the physical labor and using your mind . My father worked 33 years in the mines and he has more neck, back, knee , wrist problems than he should for his age . When I took Civil Engineering I thought it was soemthing that I would enjoy doing .... in reality , I only enjoyed a few of the classes that were involved with it . I realized I don't want to be the main person responsible for heading a building prject , design of a highway etc ..... but I did find out that I would love to get into the safety part of the job ..... like making sure the rules and regulation of a construction project are followed etc .

Now I'm an assistant manager for a an atv and snowmobile parts store ( yeah completely different fields I know) ... but I still use some of my math that I learnt in my engineering to help me in some of my management stuff . Statistics is statistics ...whether you use it in determining the amount of water in a soil ... or the amount of profits you've made in the last month .

stevengates45
09-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules

y=mx+b

m = y1+-y2/x1+=x2

ax+by=c

(y-y1)=m(x-x1)

Haha you think thats hard? Get in physics...

Ha now here's a physics problem... This actually is a basic very simple problem.... If a gun shoots a bullet into a tree with a velocity of 500 m/s & the bullet penetrates half of a meter, at what rate is the bullet decelerating? Any contestants? :D

dirtmomma
09-19-2004, 08:19 AM

thats alot of parents out there that have no clue how to help thier kids.

I will have to agree w/ this statement!! Oh man my son is in 8th grade now & I can't even BEGIN to help him w/ anything:o guess I shouldn't of been smoking by the back doors during school:eek: :o :rolleyes: ahhhhhh we learn from our mistakes DON'T WE!! BUT I can can't change back LMAO that is pretty sad when the customer has to tell the employee what change to give them :rolleyes: had to do it plenty of time, I like it when they try to count it back!!

09-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by stevengates45
Haha you think thats hard? Get in physics...

Ha now here's a physics problem... This actually is a basic very simple problem.... If a gun shoots a bullet into a tree with a velocity of 500 m/s & the bullet penetrates half of a meter, at what rate is the bullet decelerating? Any contestants? :D

-1000 m/s squared...i dunno am i even close lol

WOracing
09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I had some girl asking me about some grade 11 math the other day and she showed me , it took me a good 20 minutes to figure it out using my Texas Instruments graphing calculator . What ever happened to simple math ?? Hell they teach these kids all this graphing stuff yet I go to McD's and pay and the girl has to punch in what amount I give her ... then give me the change and she has to triple check to make sure she gave me the right amount ... hello My meal was $4.70 I gave you $5 .... how hard is it to figure out ?!?!?!

by any chance are you getting a number 2 with a medium drink?

im seriosu to cuz thats my total lol

Quad18star
09-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
by any chance are you getting a number 2 with a medium drink?

im seriosu to cuz thats my total lol LOL ... I don't know but it could ahev been .... Quarter Pounder with Cheese???

Toadz400
09-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
LOL ... I don't know but it could ahev been .... Quarter Pounder with Cheese???

Actually a number 2 is the 2-cheeseburger meal...lol.

God I'm glad I don't work there anymore, and I think the total for that meal usually came out to be $3.85?? :( so sad...

$4.70 is probably the Double Quarter Pounder meal...man I'm pathetic:( .

Quad18star
09-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Actually a number 2 is the 2-cheeseburger meal...lol.

God I'm glad I don't work there anymore, and I think the total for that meal usually came out to be $3.85?? :( so sad...

$4.70 is probably the Double Quarter Pounder meal...man I'm pathetic:( . LOL .... man I know how you feel .... Although Ive never worked fast food ... I can tell you about almost any damn aprt number for a product in the store I work at ... and this years I've only been able to put in about 4 months of work due to surgery this spring and now my leg . It's pretty bad when I go home at night and dream about numbers .

stevengates45
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by member
-1000 m/s squared...i dunno am i even close lol

-250,000 m/s squared

09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by stevengates45
-250,000 m/s squared

show me how u figured it

wilkin250r
09-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by member
show me how u figured it

Simple. There are several simple physics formulas that relate Distance, Velocity, Acceleration, and time. Velocity usually has two different parts, Initial Velocity, and Final Velocity.

Distance=Velocity*Time is pretty easy. Also, so is Final Velocity=Initial Velocity + Acceleration*Time. These are usually the only two that people remember.

The second one would work, if we knew Time, but we don't. We only know Distance. But fortunately, there is a formula that relates Acceleration, Velocity, and Distance. It is:

Final Velocity^2=Initial Velicoty^2 + 2*Acceleration*Distance.

Set Final Velocity equal to 0, Initial Velocity equal to 500m/s, and distance equal to 0.5 meters, and solve for Acceleration.

2001-400ex'er
09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
:eek2: cough cough nerd alert. haha jk, I wish I were as smart as you for my geometry class im in right now... anyone know any helpful sites for math prob ( other than this site )?

tclapp
09-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Its funnie that u posted a problem like that physics one i am in Physics 231 at school (college) and we jus worked a problem like the bullet one but with a car and the spped u hit the tree when u are wearing a seat belt and when u are not wearing a seat belt u guys think that ALg 2 hrs and pre -cal an cal is hard wait until u get to Calc 2 and 3 in college

stevengates45
09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Simple. There are several simple physics formulas that relate Distance, Velocity, Acceleration, and time. Velocity usually has two different parts, Initial Velocity, and Final Velocity.

Distance=Velocity*Time is pretty easy. Also, so is Final Velocity=Initial Velocity + Acceleration*Time. These are usually the only two that people remember.

The second one would work, if we knew Time, but we don't. We only know Distance. But fortunately, there is a formula that relates Acceleration, Velocity, and Distance. It is:

Final Velocity^2=Initial Velicoty^2 + 2*Acceleration*Distance.

Set Final Velocity equal to 0, Initial Velocity equal to 500m/s, and distance equal to 0.5 meters, and solve for Acceleration.

Yep, correct.

allmixedup047
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
yeah, wilkin has said so much smart chit since the day ive been on here that he could start BSing everything he says now and people would still believe him.

09-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Im in Physics and my Algebra II class is tougher.

stevengates45
09-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Different problems phase different people in different ways.