PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp?

mo400
09-15-2004, 06:24 PM
How hot do you think the 400ex runs? I'm debating on getting a B&M trans cooler with an electric fan that automatically comes on at 160 degrees. I'm just not sure if the fan would be on almost all the time. By the way it's an '03 416

mo400
09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
come on guys a little help, maybe even a guess
:confused:

bigbadktm
09-15-2004, 08:33 PM
i thought about mounting a fan in there as well, but im not sure how it would go. some custom fab no doubt. there is a comp. in dirtwheels that is coming out with an oil temp gauge soon.

p@iNn3ck
09-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Ive got the Warp Drive oil temp stick in, and mine usually runs 150-200.... top Ive seen it hit is 250. 300 degrees is the magic oil breakdown temp.

stupid driver
09-24-2004, 09:50 AM
i usually run around 170 or so. When it hits 200 i usually let it cool down for a bit, just to be on the cautious side

Meeso
09-26-2004, 09:33 AM
There are after-market oil coolers that are on other bikes with fans if you don't want to re-invent the wheel. One of my bikes is a Yamaha Bruin 350cc work-type bike, and it has an electric fan that activates via a thermostat. It looks very similar, but may be a bit too small. Look for one of the larger work type of Quads like a Honda Forman that is made to cool 400cc or greater and you might just be able to bolt it right in.
I am looking into this myself for my 400ex. I noticed if you are riding a lot the motor stays reasonable, but then to slow down and ride trails with my kids, or stopping to talk to someone with it idling and no airflow over the oil cooler-- it is putting off some serious heat. My local honda dealer swears its OK, and most of the heat I am feeling on my legs is probably from the exhaust, but I'm not so sure about that.
The utility bikes use the fan since they are designed to go slower and sit idling a lot, so that might be the best bet. Never ran a temp gague on mine though.