PDA

View Full Version : 440ex

derek07
09-15-2004, 04:49 PM
i am getting a 440ex kit and im new to big bore kits and was wondering what needs to be done. it says it needs to be resleeved but i dont undestand that because it says that it comes with a sleeve.

thanks

nakomis0
09-15-2004, 08:27 PM
It comes with a sleeve because u need to put that sleeve in there.

So ya gotta get the old sleeve pressed out, then get it bored to fit the new sleeve, then they press that new sleeve in there....

,,, well atleast thats how I think it works.

bigbadktm
09-15-2004, 08:27 PM
old sleeve gets pressed out, and new sleeve gets pressed in. voila, you have a bigger head. but it requires a professional to do, so dont try it at home. kit will run around $200 then another $200 or so to sleeve.

derek07
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bigbadktm
old sleeve gets pressed out, and new sleeve gets pressed in. voila, you have a bigger head. but it requires a professional to do, so dont try it at home. kit will run around $200 then another $200 or so to sleeve.

so then what you are saying is that there is no actual boring, correct

parkers30
09-15-2004, 09:41 PM
head studs will probably come soon after, once you blow a couple head gaskets

cals400ex
09-16-2004, 01:57 AM
the sleeve may need to be bored to fit the piston. some of the sleeves come to fit 426's and need to be honed out for the 426's or bored another mm to fit the 440's. i am not sure if all of the sleeves are like this or not, but some are.

bigbadktm
09-16-2004, 07:55 AM
yup what he ^ said. i got my bike with everything professionally installed, so i am not sure what cam grind i have, or all the little things involved. but so far, not a problem with it, and you will love the power. a real wheelie monster.

check e-bay for the cheapest 440 kits. some even come with the cam; stage 1 or 2, for around $300. much cheaper than if you buy separately

sleeveslave
09-17-2004, 10:59 PM
It's easier to say that sleeves are pressed in and out, but in truth, they aren't and should not be handled that way. The EX sleeve is a drop in so to remove it only requires applying heat and a replacement goes in the same way the OEM came out--heat.

You have to bore the cylinder to accept the big bore sleeves and once again, the sleeve is not pressed in unless you want to mess up the cylinder wall.

Cals400: --maybe in a PM to us you would tell us who has sleeves made that are pre-bored to a finish size... we can't imagine any professional builder or any of the manufacturers doing this.

Tech Staff
Northwest Sleeve

cals400ex
09-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by sleeveslave
It's easier to say that sleeves are pressed in and out, but in truth, they aren't and should not be handled that way. The EX sleeve is a drop in so to remove it only requires applying heat and a replacement goes in the same way the OEM came out--heat.

You have to bore the cylinder to accept the big bore sleeves and once again, the sleeve is not pressed in unless you want to mess up the cylinder wall.

Cals400: --maybe in a PM to us you would tell us who has sleeves made that are pre-bored to a finish size... we can't imagine any professional builder or any of the manufacturers doing this.

Tech Staff
Northwest Sleeve

sorry, maybe what i ment came out wrong. the sleeve that i am using can be used with a 426 up to a 440 or maybe a tad bigger if i remember correctly. i think mine is just a LA sleeve.