PDA

View Full Version : what makes the 450r have a better front end?

cady#1
09-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Just wondering what makes the front end on the 450r handle better than the yfz. IS it has more rake in the a arms, or is it something that has to do with the frame?

FatBoy Racing
09-15-2004, 04:42 PM
not that complex, its the silver paint.

Yamahauler_04
09-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Funny, I never thought the 450R handled better than the YFZ?

SRH
09-20-2004, 04:39 PM
my yfz front end works awesome in the mags they said the honda was better because the suspension wasnt as stiff........w.e

Syrus
09-20-2004, 07:30 PM
could be the degree of the steering colum is on, width, length, product quality or something as simple as shocks, i dont really know, but ive always found Honda's quads have much better handling compared to any other company, just mo...

SRH
09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
could be the degree of the steering colum is on, width, length, product quality or something as simple as shocks, i dont really know, but ive always found Honda's quads have much better handling compared to any other company, just mo...

i use to think that til i got my yfz what difference :eek2:

Toadz400
09-20-2004, 08:57 PM
I thought the YFZ handled better too, but some might think the R is better because of the softer suspension.

TheMachine
09-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I love how my R handles, but then again I've never been on a YFZ

09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Ideally the R front end would handle betting in rough terrian and the YFZ works a bit better landing from jumps. this is due to the rake of the frame @ the a-arms.

Another thing is the YFZ has very little caster in the front a-arms wich makes the quad want to turn very quick! and want to dart a little on you while on rough trails.

The R shocks are more friendly for most people as far feel goes when talking about trails. but the they set up higher than the YFZ and don't give you that lower center of gravity the YFZ has.

So I don't know if it is better but that is the difference in them and they affect the rider!

sMoKiNyFz
09-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Yamahauler_04
Funny, I never thought the 450R handled better than the YFZ?

Thats what i was thinkin.

LostCause439
09-26-2004, 01:00 PM
we are talking stock to stock they say the 450r shocks are softer than the Yfz`s, , the trx actually pushes in turns where as the yfz does not, i personally think both front ends are good however the yfz has the advantage

allmixedup047
09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
the only thing i dont like about the YFZ front end was there cheap way to lower it. i dont like the way they made there a-arms.

09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
the only thing i dont like about the YFZ front end was there cheap way to lower it. i dont like the way they made there a-arms.

That design has nothing to do with them being cheap. That is a great design. they are made out of weak steel though!

SRH
10-02-2004, 12:20 PM
i think the 2 quads are for different riding styles...the old school quad style will appeal to a 450r and yfz appeals to a bike riding style, thats just how it seems to be to me because i instantly took to the yfz and guys who have been riding 250rs hop on a 450r and its really similar but they might not take to a yfz right away, of course there are exceptions but thats just waht i think:p

allmixedup047
10-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
That design has nothing to do with them being cheap. That is a great design. they are made out of weak steel though!

using round tube and square tube together isnt week? thats what i am talking about! and what kind of steel did they use? how thick are the walls.

Toadz400
10-02-2004, 12:53 PM
using round tube and square tube together isnt week? thats what i am talking about! and what kind of steel did they use? how thick are the walls.

Honda uses square tubing on everything on the 300ex....man Honda must REALLY suck.

Seems like the stock arms are holding up for the average rider, but if you plan on racing, don't you usually replace the a-arms anyway?

allmixedup047
10-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Honda uses square tubing on everything on the 300ex....man Honda must REALLY suck.

Seems like the stock arms are holding up for the average rider, but if you plan on racing, don't you usually replace the a-arms anyway?

thats the 300ex, i would like to think that someone buying a yfz will ride it a little harder than a 300. and the 300 frame wasnt the strongest either. and they did use square tubing on the 450r as well, but they reinforced it. maybe design wasnt the word i was looking for. but i just dont understand the reason for using the LT design with standard shocks. what was the advantage? and im not trying to be a smart *** about this i really would like someone to tell me the reason why they went with LT design a-arms.

SRH
10-02-2004, 05:39 PM

the uppers are aluminum

more ground clearance is why the a arms are bent same as my laegers or gibson or any others...mine are lt either and still have the bend

Toadz400
10-02-2004, 10:44 PM
thats the 300ex, i would like to think that someone buying a yfz will ride it a little harder than a 300.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the stock arms on a YFZ. And for anyone who races, they always upgrade them anyway.

allmixedup047
10-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SRH
the uppers are aluminum

more ground clearance is why the a arms are bent same as my laegers or gibson or any others...mine are lt either and still have the bend

do all the aftermarket arms for the yfz have the LT bend? or do you get to pick, because i thought burgards didnt have the bend? and i didnt know the uppers where appers where aluminum, i just figured if they where thin wall steel the stress points would be different than on the rolled round steel.

SRH
10-03-2004, 06:07 PM
do all the aftermarket arms for the yfz have the LT bend? or do you get to pick, because i thought burgards didnt have the bend? and i didnt know the uppers where appers where aluminum, i just figured if they where thin wall steel the stress points would be different than on the rolled round steel.

nope not all have a bend and its not a lt bend ....burgards do h ave the bend there cheapo ones dont... i like the bend it looks cool too, nope im 99.9% sure the uppers are aluminum

allmixedup047
10-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SRH
nope not all have a bend and its not a lt bend ....burgards do h ave the bend there cheapo ones dont... i like the bend it looks cool too, nope im 99.9% sure the uppers are aluminum
when i say LT bend i mean the curved a-arms. i know there not LT a-arms. but the burgard arms are pretty good from what i hear. they have good ball joints just like denton or any of the other good brands. or you can go with the leagers pro-trax front end.:macho , but like someone said before, if you get serious enough into racing where you would worry about the stock arms, most people would get aftermartket ones anyways.

redrider9045
10-04-2004, 11:15 AM
ok i have the reason why the 450r handle betters one ummmmm hondas rule and yahamas suck thats the best scientific reason

SRH
10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by redrider9045
ok i have the reason why the 450r handle betters one ummmmm hondas rule and yahamas suck thats the best scientific reason

lmao:eek2:

Toadz400
10-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by redrider9045

Wow, someone's not gay or anything....

Southtown00
10-05-2004, 08:37 PM
I think the reason why the YFZ seems so different in the corners than the Honda is because it slides alot more and gets less traction, but then again, people take corners in different ways. Honda will handle better on the inside if the rider knows how to lean and the yfs is better on a burm. If the yfz takes an inside corner, usually the rear will slide out and loose some momentum in the process. It will easily outhandle the honda though if the honda driver doesnt use body english though, but I think the honda has more of an advantage out of the corner because it will spin less, but the yfz might be able to pass on a medium to long straight if they can shift well. Its all about the driver. I do think the honda seems truer when you steer though. The yfz just feels low and wide so its alot different feeling when you take a corner.

Yamahauler_04
10-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Assuming you leave the bike stock, which none of us do.

1992 Trx 250x
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
The 450r has a lighter front end than the yfz. when ya come out of a corner the front tires are real light or off the ground. that is why in stock form it's not as good as the yfz for motorcross cuz you can't turn under power. can u say scary? this is all according to Dirt Wheels mag. my opinion? i am a major Honda fan but i slightly prefer the yfz over the r. 3 reasons. power. 439 yfz vs. 449 r the yfz still has a little bit more power. not much though. #2 center of gravity. the yfz sits a little lower giving better cornering usually. #3 electric start. very convienient especially with this big of a motor. the r wins in wheelies though! :D

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 08:22 PM
after many hours on both, i found it that the yfz front end comes off the ground more. the quick jerky power of the yfz brings the front end up. all i heard about the trx before i bought it was that it was just an uncontrolable wheelie king, if you accualy ride one you will find out that it isnt. niether of the bikes are, but from my expierence the yfz tends to pop the front tires up a little more.

Southtown00
10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 1992 Trx 250x
that is why in stock form it's not as good as the yfz for motorcross cuz you can't turn under power. can u say scary? :D

Can you say lean forward? ;) The bike dont drive itself. Also, electric start is convenient, but is it worth all of the electrical problems the yfz is having? I know the R will start up every time and no battery or $300 starter to worry about breaking. Why do you think the racers take it off?

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Southtown00
Can you say lean forward? ;) The bike dont drive itself. Also, electric start is convenient, but is it worth all of the electrical problems the yfz is having? I know the R will start up every time and no battery or $300 starter to worry about breaking. Why do you think the racers take it off?
from a dead start race i bet i could start my R faster than most people could start there YFZ's.

Toadz400
10-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by 1992 Trx 250x
The 450r has a lighter front end than the yfz. when ya come out of a corner the front tires are real light or off the ground. that is why in stock form it's not as good as the yfz for motorcross cuz you can't turn under power. can u say scary? this is all according to Dirt Wheels mag. my opinion? i am a major Honda fan but i slightly prefer the yfz over the r. 3 reasons. power. 439 yfz vs. 449 r the yfz still has a little bit more power. not much though. #2 center of gravity. the yfz sits a little lower giving better cornering usually. #3 electric start. very convienient especially with this big of a motor. the r wins in wheelies though! :D

Have you ridden either one??? Don't believe jack **** from Dirt Wheels or any magazine about a quad...ride it for yourself then you can talk about them like you are a "pro".

Do you know for fact that the YFZ has more "power"? lower center of gravity? and that the R wins in wheelies??

allmixedup047
10-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Have you ridden either one??? Don't believe jack **** from Dirt Wheels or any magazine about a quad...ride it for yourself then you can talk about them like you are a "pro".

Do you know for fact that the YFZ has more "power"? lower center of gravity? and that the R wins in wheelies??
the dyno's read this
the yfz has one more HP than the trx
the trx has six more foot pounds of torque
the yfz revs at 1000rpm's higher.

if you ask me its comparing apples to oranges. and you can ride a wheelie on any quad, just as well as you can keep the front tires on the ground.
use the whole seat, not just 6 inches of it!:rolleyes:

sMoKiNyFz
10-07-2004, 03:29 PM

I havn't had troubles yet so not all of them have troubles.:rolleyes:

Toadz400
10-07-2004, 09:37 PM
the dyno's read this
the yfz has one more HP than the trx
the trx has six more foot pounds of torque
the yfz revs at 1000rpm's higher.

if you ask me its comparing apples to oranges. and you can ride a wheelie on any quad, just as well as you can keep the front tires on the ground.
use the whole seat, not just 6 inches of it!:rolleyes:

Let him defend himself, I didn't want to hear from you. I was saying that guy was saying all this stuff he READ in a magazine...which in magazines it's usually almost 99% untrue. I think the YFZ is a better race machine than the 450R, but I just don't like it when people try to act like they "know their stuff" when they actually don't. I've ridden both and I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about either of them, not what some other person that is completely different from me said.

I myself believe that the YFZ feels more powerful and I know it revs higher, but I know that because I've ridden both...not just read it from a biased magazine. Get what I mean? Sorry to sound like an a** trying to explain this.

Southtown00
10-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by sMoKiNyFz
I havn't had troubles yet so not all of them have troubles.:rolleyes:

Even so, A battery is an extra maintainance issue. I dont mean to be putting down the YFZ, just dont put down the kickstarter, its reliable.

redrider9045
10-08-2004, 05:44 AM
also the honda slides alot out of corners i have spun it all the way around in a corner and i dont race it and have only ridden it once but the yfz i rode had holeshots on it and it didnt want to slide at all

allmixedup047
10-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Let him defend himself, I didn't want to hear from you. I was saying that guy was saying all this stuff he READ in a magazine...which in magazines it's usually almost 99% untrue. I think the YFZ is a better race machine than the 450R, but I just don't like it when people try to act like they "know their stuff" when they actually don't. I've ridden both and I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about either of them, not what some other person that is completely different from me said.

I myself believe that the YFZ feels more powerful and I know it revs higher, but I know that because I've ridden both...not just read it from a biased magazine. Get what I mean? Sorry to sound like an a** trying to explain this.
:huh , i wasnt defending him.
and the yfz does feel like it has more power becuase its a burst of power like a 2-stroke.
and that info i posted was straight off of the dyno charts, im sure youve seen them floating around here somewere.
so, you have riddin both bike, which one would you claim to be more of a wheelie machine?

quads_kicka$$
10-08-2004, 12:33 PM
just dont put down the kickstarter, its reliable. [/B]

I heard from many people that you cant start the 450r while your on the gas or else the kickstart will snap back and crack the cases or some sh*t like that.

allmixedup047
10-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by quads_kick*****
I heard from many people that you cant start the 450r while your on the gas or else the kickstart will snap back and crack the cases or some sh*t like that.
:huh , no! it will kick back, but i dont know how it would ever crack the case. ive had mine kick back a couple of times, but nothing ever happened.

sMoKiNyFz
10-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Even so, A battery is an extra maintainance issue. I dont mean to be putting down the YFZ, just dont put down the kickstarter, its reliable.

I'm not putting them down but its eaiser especially for my dad who bought one and has 1 leg. I wouldn't mind a kickstart.

Scottie Mac
10-08-2004, 06:11 PM
If you are comparing stock vs stock, they are so close that one doesn't really have an advantage over the other. In STOCK form, the Honda has a little more torque on the bottom, the YFZ has that "hit" so many people talk about in the mid.

When you start modding is where the two start to seperate. A YFZ with the cam mod, an exhaust, K&N and properly jetted has a distinct advantage over a TRX with similar mods. The "2 stroke hit" the STOCK YFZ has is much more rider friendly when it is opened up. Both machines respind nicely to mods, its just the YFZ responds better. It takes a hole lot more to get a TRX to run with a properly set up YFZ, that is just a fact.

IS one better than the other? Nope. One is just easier on the wallet to make fast. Once set up, to the hilt, it comes down to the rider. I like them both. If money were no object, I woudl have one of both all set up to go.

A friend of mine just bought Joe Byrd's TRX that won the Loretta's race. It is the $hit. Has every freakin part you can put on the quad, built by racers edge. It has the complete CRF ignition, a CRF cylinder and valves. Fully built, ported and everything. BUt, that is what it takes to run with a YFZ with simple mods and a slight head port. Again, one is not better than the other, it is just a lot cheaper to build the YFZ.

I say to each his/her own. If you are a "Honda guy" go get a TRX. If you are a "Yamaha guy" go buy a YFZ. With either and the right amount of money, you will be competative with anything on the starting gate.

Scott

QuadRacer041
10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by quads_kick*****

dont know if its true but i heard the same thing.

Southtown00
10-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sMoKiNyFz
I'm not putting them down but its eaiser especially for my dad who bought one and has 1 leg. I wouldn't mind a kickstart.

Well thats alot different than being to lazy to kick a bike over. Man, a one legged dad on a sport quad like that. Thats Bad*****!

SRH
10-09-2004, 09:58 AM
i dont care if u think the kick start is better becuase its easier maintence, if i stall in a race ill push my button and not losea second, taking time to kick it could cost you the race

and i know yfzs dont slide easy, they dont need to imo, they steer around the corners and rarely ever do i have the back kick out

i dont know if the 450r has more torque or power but i couldnt ask for any better power than my yfz has the way it comes on and hits and pulls is perfect for mx /sx if you ask me, and the suspension is way better for mx

Bad Habit
10-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
A YFZ with the cam mod, an exhaust, K&N and properly jetted has a distinct advantage over a TRX with similar mods. ..........Both machines respind nicely to mods, its just the YFZ responds better. It takes a hole lot more to get a TRX to run with a properly set up YFZ, that is just a fact.

...........Joe Byrd's TRX .......... Has every freakin part you can put on the quad........It has the complete CRF ignition, a CRF cylinder and valves. Fully built, ported and everything. BUt, that is what it takes to run with a YFZ with simple mods and a slight head port. Again, one is not better than the other, it is just a lot cheaper to build the YFZ.

Scott

Scott,

I am going to respectfully challenge you on these statements. I say "respectfully" because I give as good as I get, and you are always level headed and respectful when you post on here so everyone else, don't make this a flame fest.

The fact is I have set up a YFZ and a TRX the way you described. The two bikes are within inches, yes inches, of eachother when comparing straight line acceleration and speed. The only thing more that was done to the TRX was to replace the stock cam with a HRC cam. On the YFZ, the stock cam was retained, but the timing was changed (aka cam mod). Some might argue that the cam mod on the YFZ is free and you have to pay for the HRC cam so this is one reason that the YFZ is cheaper to mod. However, around here, you have to pay around $300 more to get a YFZ out the door of the dealer so the added price for the HRC cam becomes a mute point as total costs for both bikes is now even. Now if we are talking about acceleration out of a corner a short distance to another corner or jump, yes, the YFZ has an advantage due to the throttle response of the FCR carb. Adding a FCR to the TRX will cost you more money, so I'll concede to you on that point.

As far as Joe Byrd's TRX, was the comparison to the slightly modded with slight port YFZ done on a MX track? Because we all know that the rider will contribute to about 80% of a bike's ability in that circumstance. ;) Everything else being equal, I just don't see where it takes all that money into a TRX to get it to run with a YFZ.

I want to be clear that I am in no way knocking the YFZ, it is an incredible machine. But, based on my real experiences with these two bikes, I have not seen an overwhelming advantage to either one when it comes to acceleration and speed.

Scottie Mac
10-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Bad -

No flames, I love a good debate. YES, EVERYTHING I EVER SAY is based on results on a TRACK. That is all I do. When I say the YFZ has an advantage, I mean on the track. As for the drags across fields, I have no idea, don't do it.

This is another reason why I say the YFZ has an advantage over the TRX in terms of MX power. I race against a guy who has Dustin Wimmer's Walsh CRF. It has a full TC motor, everything. Probably one of the nicest ATVs I have ever scene. Even so, he has yet to pull a holeshot at our local track. Now, I agree, racing is all abou the rider, but he, myself and most of the local Pro guys are pretty close in terms of ability. With riders being of close ability, it would be understandable to say that the motors make the difference, at least to the first turn. No offense to anyone, but I haven't scene any TRX that has the power of that CRF based hybrid and he gets holeshotted by myslef and other YFZs. A close friend of mine (Andy Lohr) had a CRF based full JRD quad. We compared them, racing and drags, and the YFZ was faster. Again, we all know the CRF motor produces about 10 more HP than a TRX.

But what do I know..............

Scott

In all fairness, Andy's CRF based quad WAS faster than my YFZ in full race trim on the 5th gear pinned runs.

Bad Habit
10-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Scott,

Well, like I said earlier, I'll concede the "faster out of turns" type of acceleration would go to the YFZ on a MX track. That could be why we are seeing different experiences with the YFZ and TRX. If you look under my name, you can see what type of riding I'm setting these bikes up for, and it ain't MX ;)

To be honest, I've ran against a couple CRF powered quads on the flats and I was surprized at their lack of speed out of the hole. They were not slouches by any means, but not what I was expecting knowing what kind of hp they ususally make. Now once they hit third gear, forget about it. Makes a guy wonder if the tranny gearing meant for the two-wheelers just really doesn't work quite right for straight line quad acceleration.

BTW, wasn't this thread started to compare the front end geometry between the YFZ and TRX???? Aren't we a couple of thread hi-jackers. :blah:

1992 Trx 250x
10-09-2004, 11:46 PM

i should have known not to talk. i haven't had a chance to ride either so i take back my post.

Scottie Mac
10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
Scott,

Well, like I said earlier, I'll concede the "faster out of turns" type of acceleration would go to the YFZ on a MX track. That could be why we are seeing different experiences with the YFZ and TRX. If you look under my name, you can see what type of riding I'm setting these bikes up for, and it ain't MX ;)

To be honest, I've ran against a couple CRF powered quads on the flats and I was surprized at their lack of speed out of the hole. They were not slouches by any means, but not what I was expecting knowing what kind of hp they ususally make. Now once they hit third gear, forget about it. Makes a guy wonder if the tranny gearing meant for the two-wheelers just really doesn't work quite right for straight line quad acceleration.

BTW, wasn't this thread started to compare the front end geometry between the YFZ and TRX???? Aren't we a couple of thread hi-jackers. :blah:

From what I have found, the CRF powered hybrids can be made to pull hard off the bottom, but you have to experiment with a lot of different gearing combinations before you find the right set up. They have a very "torquey" feel, it just takes a little R&D time to transfer it to the ground. But, like you said, once that sucker hits 3rd, she will roll on out.

Thread hijackers, what are they??? :blah:

Later,
Scott

Sick0
10-11-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm Reading through alot of these posts And Starting to think most you guy havn't ever riden either machine.

450r- I think the light front end on the R was one of the biggest problem I had with quad. It just always seam to float up. Off jumps, whoops, turns. I didn't feel right tio really push the quad. Plus It seam like the it pushs in the turns and It would really slides as good as a yfz.

The power seam alot like a nice built 440 400ex. It was smooth, kinda slow to rev up, I think it might not have enough down low. Numbers don't mean nothing. The yfz make its power faster. The R don't rev as fast as the YFZ.

The shocks were too soft and bounce for my liking. I didn't bottom them out but the quad just seam to bounce though the whoop.

Over all though I like the r, and all of ther problem That I had with it could be fixed with diffrent aftermarket products

Scottie Mac
10-11-2004, 09:31 PM
To me, the light front end isn't that big of a deal, you simply have to replace the swinger with a plus 1 1/4 aftermarket unit. Yes, that is more expense, but with the Yamaha, if you MX, you will eventually have to replace the stocker as well, because they crack. Mine lasted about 5 good races before it developed the "X" crack above the linkage. Tit for tat.

As for the pushing, the TRX doesn't have the precise steering of the YFZ, but it has a sharper turning radius. I personally like the way the YFZ handles for MX MUCH more. But, it is perfect either.

Scott

Southtown00
10-11-2004, 09:38 PM
I dont understand why the pushing and light front end is such a problem. It shouldnt be if you put enough weight forward. Sit farther up on the seat and put more weight on the handle bars. Also when the front end pushes tap the front brakes quickly and theyll grab almost everytime. The problem IMO is people try and ride it like its a YFZ and its not. You have to sit and use your weight alot differently. Just like you dont ride a raptor like a banshee. Really the lighter front end should be an advantage because that means the power is getting to the ground and your not loosing it through bad traction. Lean forward and gas and you will certainly pass a YFZ that is spinning out of a corner.

Jekyl_22
10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
A light front end isn't a good thing in racing. You want to be on the throttle as much as you can, but if you have to let off because you are wheeling... that's time lost.

Also, it's not that the YFZ gets bad traction... it just doesn't wheelie as much (advantage). It's also going to be hard to beat the YFZ out of a corner because of it's throttle response/hard hitting power :eek2:

markk
10-12-2004, 11:03 AM
what makes my old 400 handle better than the 450's????

OH yeah the ELKAS!!!!!!!!

MY450R
10-12-2004, 11:25 AM
wow
ok i agree that the trx has a little lighter front end
here is where i can say my opinion because i've ridden both machines
i've always defended my trx BUT when leaning forward the rear tends to slide out from behind me
its almost like you have to be exactly where the bike wants you to be or your rear will come around very quickly
its like you have to have that perfect balance its definatly a less forgiving bike where the yfz is more forgiving in that area
after riding a yfz this past weekend(def not my first time on a yfz) i would have to say that the trx has more traction out of the corners IF you have that perfect balance point but the yfz is FASTER out of the corner because of they rev faster.trx you can bring right into the corner faster cause of the awesome brakes
i would have to say that they are even when it comes to corners its just a different riding style but both are equal rider is everything

Scottie Mac
10-12-2004, 10:39 PM
The "light front end" on the TRX has a whole heck of a lot more to do with the swingarm length than it does the amount of traction the quad has. Just like the Z400, to make a TRX a true MX machine, you need to go to a +1 1/4 swinger. No big deal. It is am easy fix, get over it.

To me, the MUCH bigger issue is the rear linkage on the TRX. Honda built a nice quad, a decent base from which to make either an mx machine or trail machine. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why they put mid 80s technology into the rear end. It makes no sense. Thank goodnes for companies like Elka, GT Thunder and Walsh who make fixes. But, it is just another example of how you have additional cost to build a Honda. Oh well, you have to pay to play, and with MX racing, you have to pay A LOT, no matter what brand you ride.

Scott

Southtown00
10-13-2004, 09:18 AM
What is bad about the stock linkage system? I havent heard this yet. I know honda is supposed to be comming out with an HRC linkage soon. (maybe thats what they had in mind in the first place.)

MY450R
10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
the linkage isn't that bad unless you race
i mean the average joe wouldn't have to replace it

muff
10-13-2004, 07:57 PM
alright, maybe people dont realize that cornering has a lot more to do with than just the front end.

for mx the walsh savior or other product will definetly help out the 450r rear end. on the yfzs theres to much troubles to run the LT rear so its pointless. you'll end up trashing you muffler and battery box, not really worth it if you ask me.

the trx will wheelie up in the corners quite easily, mainly due to the location of the swingarm pivot. since it is not inline with the drivetrain (sprockets), the quad will want to fold up under hard acceration out of the corners

the yfz on the other quad stays to stay planted a lot better, which is why practically all of the mx-ers stay with the stock length swingarm, they just hook up great. some even go with +1 forward a-arms

i'm interested on learning more about the front end on the trx and how they're different. also does anyone know why the trx benefits so much better with a port and polish over the yfz?

allmixedup047
10-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by muff
i'm interested on learning more about the front end on the trx and how they're different. also does anyone know why the trx benefits so much better with a port and polish over the yfz?
good question, im wondering if it has to do with the trx having more head flow than the yfz, but then again wouldnt that make the yfz benefit more. i hope someone can answer this because i want to know.

Dale512
10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
On the note of the Swing-arm Pivot position, remember the rumor that honda was going to lower the motor 4mm? Also anybody know why the YFZ swing-arm has a slight bend to it? I heard that along with Sprocket/Pivot position it helps play a role in keeping the quad planted and moving. Also doesnt Polaris have some sort of "Anti-Squat" on the Predator? Do you know how that works?

I think the the difference in the motors is a whole different discussion, heck, and it should be a good one if all the trolls stay away from it, lol.

Bad Habit
10-13-2004, 08:28 PM
good question, im wondering if it has to do with the trx having more head flow than the yfz, but then again wouldnt that make the yfz benefit more. i hope someone can answer this because i want to know.

Go to this (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2362&st=15) and read the posts from memebers named "mixxxer" and "ticeman". They talk in detail about the head limitations, and better yet, theories on how to improve it. Very good info there.

BTW,allmixedup, clean out your d@mn pm box.

allmixedup047
10-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
Go to this (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2362&st=15) and read the posts from memebers named "mixxxer" and "ticeman". They talk in detail about the head limitations, and better yet, theories on how to improve it. Very good info there.

BTW,allmixedup, clean out your d@mn pm box.
i think that was the most information i have ever got off the internet!!! and that is the exact reason i am going to arizona!:macho