PDA

View Full Version : '97 300ex crapped out

DeLorean84
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
hi - first post here

ok heres the deal. i bought a '97 300ex about 6 months ago and never had any problems except recently i've had some slippage in 5th gear.

anyway Im riding 2 days ago for like 2 hours, on beach, in dunes, on trails, and she overheated on the beach twice, so i let it cool and ride on. im on my way home in 5th gear almost at WOT when all of a sudden it just kils out on me and the back wheels locked up. go to start and all that happens is white smoke pumps out of exhaust. i pushed it home let it cool and still wont start.

yesterday went out changed spark plug, oil, gas, air filter, and cleaned carb. Still wont start, engine just cranks and cranks forever. sprayed started fluid in and it just pops but wont start. my friend thinks its i blew a ring but its got compression. any advise????????????????????

sorry for the long post.............. please help

nosliw
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by DeLorean84
yesterday went out changed spark plug, oil, gas, air filter, and cleaned carb. Still wont start, engine just cranks and cranks forever.

sounds like time for a rebuild if you ask me!:blah:

DeLorean84
09-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
sounds like time for a rebuild if you ask me!:blah:

Thats what I was afraid of:(

frosti108
09-15-2004, 01:50 PM
white smoke tells me you blew your head gasket, but that doesnt explain why the hell the rear wheels locked up. if you blew your head gasket there would be white smoke, but i dont think it would lock up... does it crank over now? if so, ill bet its your head gasket. when your cranking it, put your hand all around the sides of the cylinder and feel for the compression leaking out.
or maybe its the ring... idk

good luck tho

JRDrider22
09-15-2004, 02:06 PM
rebuild...samething happen to my 400

Aceman
09-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Yep, it's rebuild time. You overheated it twice and then it sounds like the piston might of siezed until it cooled back down, that's why your wheels locked up. I bet if you compression tested your motor there isn't very much compression. When you tear your motor down take a look at the rod and crank and make sure there isn't any blueing, if there is you overheated it and it needs to be replaced.

DeLorean84
09-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Damn that sucks. how much do you think a rebuild is gonna set me back (ill do it all myself). do you know any place that sells rebuild kits? the only place I know is Rockymouintainatv.com. oh well atleast I got to use it all summer and now its on my long list of winter projects :(

Thanks for the info guys, I guess Ill start tearing her down

dirtmomma
09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Shouldn't cost too much for a rebuild unless of course you need a crank :) I did a rebuild on mine last winter for about $100 but my brother is also a Wiseco dealer so it was somewhat cheaper:devil: But yeah sounds like you stuck your piston, it happened to my sons motorcycle he used to ride, locked the back wheels right up!! Good luck