PDA

View Full Version : dune tales

trx400ex
08-31-2001, 08:29 PM
anyone have any cool stories...ive never rode in real dunes before.

desert-rider
08-31-2001, 10:51 PM
here is my best story:

I bought a used 83 atc 250r. It ran strong but had been rode hard. My wife had a bran spanken new blaster just finnished the brake in periond. So we decided to go to glamis for the first time and camp for three days.

after a 3 hour drive we made it. As we came out of the mountains i began to drool and breath eraticallly :blah , those dunes where amazing. Next thing i knew i was doing 80 through the last few washes with my wife hitting me telling me to slow down. I was so close i had to get there. We pulled into the flats after going past the glamis store and went to the first abanded fire ring we saw and that was our camp. I unloaded my bike and i was in the dunes it was a great feeling! Then i remembered i needed to get camp set up so i headed back.

Who would have thought that desert could get so cold at night, at 4 in the moring my nose felt like it was going to fall off. When we got up we skiped breakfeast and headed into the dunes. We sat around a few minutes to see how riders rode the dunes.

We then began our tour it was awsome. The best riding there is!!

Well later that day i was on my way to olds hill to check it out for the first time, man was it big! I was by my self and i didn't want to get hurt and my wife not know. i watched for a while then headed back on the sand highway. After about 3 hills my handlebars broke on the cluth side :eek: Made for a long trip back to camp. i was very happy i wasn't halfway up old's when they broke. Luckly it was the weekend after new years so there where venders still there. Put on the new set and i was good to go.

we now wanted some lunch so we headed to the glamis store, we are getting ready to leave the store and my wife is sitting on her blaster looking from one side to the other. i asked her whats the matter? she says i cant find the kick thingie. dang newbee so i go to show her where it is at and it is gone :eek: so i go looking for it in the sand and actully find it but no nut:confused:
we went to evey vender and store and nobody had one ended up using a hose clamp to hold it on. Went back to camp and ended that day.

almost over

go riding the next morning (by myself) wife still sleaping about 30 mins away from camp my spark plug blew out of the head. let it cool down put it back in and the threads where stripped:grr found a stick about 2 feet long and leverd it on the spark plug against the frame and up pressue from my knee and rode very slow back to camp and actually made it. Went to the store again and bought some lock tite tread maker, and just gobbed it on and shoved it into the hole. let it sit all night

next morning took off and it worked held up good.:D was riding through the dunes came to a 6' drop went to slow down and had no brakes :huh landed on the front tire and jammed my knee. Headed back to camp and checked it out and it had a broken line (plastic part) super glue would not hold. Last day anyway we packed up and left.

In the end going to the dunes was alot of trouble. After everything that happend it was sill the best time riding i had ever had.

every trip since that one has been great but not as memerable.

Most of my problems are gone now. I just love my 400ex