PDA

View Full Version : Local ATV death..

Bad Ass TA WS6
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Just watching the news and caught a glimpse of a sport quad. Thought it was a 400EX at first, but after I saw the breaking news thing pop back up I noticed it was a 450R.

Turns out a 14 year old kid had his buddy on the back of it (he was 16) and hit a tree. The 14 year old died, I guess the 16 year old is ok but in the hospital.

There was a pretty decent chunk taken out of the tree. They said they weren't sure if speed was an issue, maybe the combined weight of the two.

I feel really bad for the parents of the kid, but that bike is way to big for a 14 year old. I fit pretty well on it and I'm 6'4".

It's really to bad, anyone else heard about it? Happened in Mass.

EDIT: I found the story...http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0915/3731257_120X90.jpg
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3731254/detail.html

Punk'd
09-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bad *** TA WS6
Just watching the news and caught a glimpse of a sport quad. Thought it was a 400EX at first, but after I saw the breaking news thing pop back up I noticed it was a 450R.

Turns out a 14 year old kid had his buddy on the back of it (he was 16) and hit a tree. The 14 year old died, I guess the 16 year old is ok but in the hospital.

There was a pretty decent chunk taken out of the tree. They said they weren't sure if speed was an issue, maybe the combined weight of the two.

I feel really bad for the parents of the kid, but that bike is way to big for a 14 year old. I fit pretty well on it and I'm 6'4".

It's really to bad, anyone else heard about it? Happened in Mass.

I agree that sucks but alot of 14 year olds CAN handle something of that level

RIP to the kid:(

Berry
09-14-2004, 09:47 PM
man thats horrible but it was more than likely there fault. who knows, somthing on the 4 wheeler could have messed up and caused the wreck. or more than likely the kids werent that mature and didnt know what the machine was capable of! age means nothing, its maturity! parents should take some time to realize what there kids are capable of and what level of maturity they are on before they set them loose. my parents know my level and they trust me with anything. i never seem to get into big time trouble. i know my limits. i have lots of friends whose parents dont trust them with nothing! he has to lie just to go over to a friends house just to hang out. and he is always getting in trouble for somthing. and not little bitty stuff but stuff involving the police.

Bad Ass TA WS6
09-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from. I had a 300EX in 9th grade, but even that was plenty to be stupid on.

A 450R is too much for just about any 14 year old I can think of. But there are exceptions, some kids are mature and just plain understand. Some on the other hand don't.

The situation is tempting though. Think about it, you've got a brand new 450R, with your older friend (who you are probably trying to impress) on the back. You get on it to show him what it's got and lose control on a paved road, which isn't particularly hard to do at speed.

The outcome sucks big time, they will probably be cracking down on these ATVs again as usual. Too bad there is only 1 legal spot to ride in NH...

mikeman828
09-15-2004, 04:57 AM
I don't know where that one is you were talking about but a week or 2 ago there were 2 teens killed in a similar incident.

They were flying down a dirt road on a Predator (no helmets of course), went off a corner and hit a pine tree. Both of them died.
The paper said one of the kids was pretty big and was sitting in back. I know how hard it is to steer w/ just my 7 yr old behind me, let alone a 17yr old!!

Happened in New Braintree I think.....

More negative publicity.... just what we need!!!!!

lol
09-15-2004, 05:29 AM
thts horrible

rip guys

Pappy
09-15-2004, 05:46 AM
sure does suck to be the stupid one who dies.

the parents should be held accountable IMO

MY450R
09-15-2004, 06:19 AM
we all did stupid things when we were young and all i can say is that im lucky to be here
rip to the deceased

09-15-2004, 07:57 AM
when me & my friend (dirtyboy88) top mine out on the road it is very difficult to turn any or at all...especially when still on the gas. this is prob. what happened to them..>R.I.P!

400exdad
09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
.....the parents should be held accountable IMO

I Agree.

PHAT400
09-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Skill's and maturity are everything, if your missing 1 you are an accident waiting to happen.

RIP young man..

Toadz400
09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
I don't know if I should feel sorry for the kid or not, seems like a lot of the accidents are caused by kids that don't know what they are doing...they just shouldn't be on that big of quads. I'm 16 and both the 450's wanted to kick my ***. But thankfully I was gifted with maturity and common sense from God so I always stay clear of doing stupid sh*t.

All 14 year olds around here look like they are 5, so I can just picture a little kid getting on a big quad like that and having absolutely no control. At least the 16 year old survived, and I agree with Pappy about the parents being held accountable. They probably know their child's maturity level and that the kid was most likely not capable of handling that 450.

freakystone
09-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Sad so sad. They had helmets on or they both might have been dead.

When I started riding in 1983, we only wore helments when we raced because we had to. How stupid looking back.

An employee of a friend of mine died a month or so back. He hopped on his neighbors Polaris Trailblazer and took it for a spin around the house at a relatively slow speed. he clipped a sapling and the quad flipped, landed on his head. No helmet. Dead.

It was said by many that if he had a helmet on he would have only had a headache.

theTman
09-15-2004, 04:46 PM
man that sucks....RIP kid

BTW we have a 450r and im 14....im mature and have ridden it more than once...havent had any close calls or came close to flipping it....im more of the responsible kid around here...give any of these kids that live around here a 450...or any quad at that matter and they will mess themselves up:rolleyes:

BlazingYamahaYz
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
that sucks....there was an atv accident involving two kids from my school....2 freshman were on a 90, and then were going too fast or something(dunno the cause) but they ended up crashing and one of them broke their knee and the other one messed up his nose...noone knows if they had helmets on or not(probably not)...and the thing is, after they crashed in someones yard , they drove back to one of the kids houses instead of stopping...our school is notorious for stupid drivers/atv'ers...

I-7
09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Its very sad to hear :( . Atleast they were wearing helmets. Head injuries are the most serious injuries. Either ride without a helmet and risk the chance of a very serious injury or death or take the extra 30 seconds/100 dollars and strap on a piece of fiberglass or whatever helmets are made out of and be protected in most cases. I know what I would do :(

RIP

BassGin3
09-15-2004, 10:56 PM
A friend of mine knew the kid. I guess he's been riding since he's been walking and is known for being a damn good rider, perfectly capable of riding that size quad, just unfortunate....:(

mikeman828
09-16-2004, 04:33 AM
I believe you he was a skilled rider,

but once you ride double on a quad, I don't care how skilled you are .... It doesn't handle like it's supposed to!!!! The front end pushes and it's not very easy to control!!! That's when smarts need to take over and realize that skills are not going to make this machine handle any better so slow it down!!!

It's just giving ATV hater's more ammo to close riding areas and work on banning them all-together!!! You never hear about stuff like this on dirt bikes!!

Maybe I'm just being an overly negative parent, but I know how much fun I had riding while I was growing up and I HOPE my kids can have the same enjoyment!!!

:)

Needa450
09-16-2004, 04:55 AM
I feel sorry for him and his family, but if he was riding since he was little or so, then at least he went doing what he liked to do best. Riding.

On another note, im 14 and ride a modded out Raptor. But here is the catch, no one ask if im 14 or says im to young to ride it. It is because I am 6'5 and 230 and look and act every bit of a 16 + year old. I always ride cautiously(majory spelled that wroung) and try to aviod in riding double.(sometimes if some one is broken down along the trail, ill stop and ask if I can help them, and sometimes I will take them back to thier truck if they need it.)

So I guess point of it is, its not cause of age. Its cause of rider level/skill and maturity.

O yea, I always ride with a helmet anyways. It is just common sence.

Toadz400
09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Needa450
I feel sorry for him and his family, but if he was riding since he was little or so, then at least he went doing what he liked to do best. Riding.

On another note, im 14 and ride a modded out Raptor. But here is the catch, no one ask if im 14 or says im to young to ride it. It is because I am 6'5 and 230 and look and act every bit of a 16 + year old. I always ride cautiously(majory spelled that wroung) and try to aviod in riding double.(sometimes if some one is broken down along the trail, ill stop and ask if I can help them, and sometimes I will take them back to thier truck if they need it.)

So I guess point of it is, its not cause of age. Its cause of rider level/skill and maturity.

O yea, I always ride with a helmet anyways. It is just common sence.

Yea I agree with you there, when I was 14 I was riding a piped Banshee...but with my maturity level and skill I could handle it and never went beyond my level, so that's what always kept me safe.

Oh btw, you spelled cautiously right, but not "wrong":D .

markk
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
RIP,

I agree thats dumb, But as for somone being help responsible, I think that they will have sufferd enuf. But it could have been anything that caused them to wreck!

sn0wrider
09-17-2004, 04:56 PM
live to ride, ride til i die.. rip little man:(, where did u get that pic on the bottom have anymore?

Bad Ass TA WS6
09-17-2004, 11:30 PM
No that little picture was the only one I could find. They had a 5 minute piece on the accident. Mostly live video type of stuff. The tree did have a good chunk taken out of it though. He had to have been cruising.