PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Stud

EX4me
09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I've got a cylinder stud bolt & the threads are stripped out of the cylinder. Need to know if a helicoil will be strong enough or is there anything else you can do to repair. The threads on the stud is fine just the ones in the cylinder stripped out.

mikeboone
09-14-2004, 07:12 PM
You can helicoil or o/s studs. I hear the helicoil holds well. I bet the dowel pin wasent seated and the cylinder was torqued down? The dowel will make the studs pull as it's harder than the alum threads.

TC426EX
09-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Dude, I would advise against the heli coil... I also thought this would hold and keep me from blowing head gaskets at first, but quickly realized it wasnt sufficient. After I heli coiled my studs I blew 3 head gaskets still. I had the surfaces checked and it wasnt that. If I was you I would invest 90 bucks in a set of Oversized studs from East Coast ATV. Since I have switched to these I havent blown one gasket yet. If you go with the heli coils and they dont hold youre in for a TON more work. Basically if the heli coils are bigger than the O/S studs (that DOESNT mean theyre stronger at ALL), youll have to get your cylinder holes welded and re milled to the correct diameter to run the OS studs you should have from the beginning. BELIEVE ME, get the oversize stud kit and save the headaches, and Im telling you this from experience man...

FatBoy Racing
09-14-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm with the above recommendation. If you heli-coil, you have to drill and tap 1 big hole and there's no backup plan, you're just SOL if the helicoil dont fly. If you go with the oversize stud, you drill and tap a smaller hole (than the heli-coil) and still have the option (plan 'c' in this example) to go to heli-coil just in case that does not work out. It's all about the options man!

Have fun!

EX4me
09-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Do you know if C&D racing has the oversize stud kits & what size of tap & drill bit do I need?