PDA

View Full Version : best shocks for flat track

flat_track400ex
09-14-2004, 03:59 PM
what u do guys use on your flat track quads friend of mine told me to go w/ PEP so i can lower it or rasie back but.
what do u guys thinks

ranger400ex
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
I am sure Elka builds units for them..

but I know Afco makes some nice TT/Flattrack setups..I would check with them too! All they do is flattrack right now. I know a couple guys there.

You may also ask Jeff@Quadshop what Elka makes..

roostin_dale
09-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex

but I know Afco makes some nice TT/Flattrack setups..I would check with them too! All they do is flattrack right now. I know a couple guys there.

from what i hear these are the hot-setup for TT. Pm Chef...i think he runs them on his flattrack quads...

ghak99
09-14-2004, 06:17 PM
They are correct, Afco seem to be top of the line on the TT track, most other local top notch racers in my area seem to like Axis. But if you are wanting to be able to raise your quad easily to race other races on the same shocks, you might look at some others. I know my Axis and my buddies TCS are easily switched from MX to TT in a few minutes.

This will come in very handy if you race a bunch of small races where you never know what the track is like until you show up.

Cody_300ex
09-15-2004, 07:54 PM
All the big time pros use pep, IE Tim farr, Darin Ogden, Shane Hitt, Keith little. About the only other big time pro that dosent use pep is Rath(uses fox air shox) and Meadows who runs afco. Almost everybody that races flat-track/TT runs pep or afco.

wilkin250r
09-17-2004, 04:35 PM
You don't need major suspension for TT, just get extended A-arms and put the stock shocks on. They will be way too soft, lots of sag, so it will sit really low. Add a lowing kit to the rear, an extended axle, and you're set. :D

ghak99
09-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You don't need major suspension for TT, just get extended A-arms and put the stock shocks on. They will be way too soft, lots of sag, so it will sit really low. Add a lowing kit to the rear, an extended axle, and you're set. :D

I have never really disagreed with anything you have said, but this time I slightly do....I know he is probably just starting out so he would probably be alright with stock shocks, but having way too soft of shocks will allow the quad to bounce with even the smallest of hole in the corners of the track. I don't know about you, but when racing ovals at wide open it is hard enough to keep from wiping out with all the idiots that think they are fast, now add in the fact that his quad will be bouncing and has way too much shock travel:huh I could be wrong, as I have never raced flat track with anything other than my axis but I just figured I would throw this idea out there for him to think about.

wilkin250r
09-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Actually, I was only half serious. It's certainly not best, because it produces too much roll in the corners, and too much front end dive coming into the corners.

But, I'm still at least half serious. :blah: If you are limited in budget, this setup is certainly preferable over stock, and much cheaper than trying to upgrade arms and shocks at the same time. Like I said, it's not the best, but it's possible. The wider wheelbase and lower center of gravity will give you a big advantage over stock, without spending an extra $500 minimum on shocks alone. (or upwards of $2500 for top of the line) And the stock shocks don't bounce, because they still have the damping in them. In fact, they soak up little bumps and rutts beautifully, and you can even take them on a high-speed jump, provided you don't get more than a foot or two off the ground.

Extended a-arms with stock shocks, and a rear lowering kit and extended axle, was good enough to take 1st place in the Novice Open class my first race. :macho