PDA

View Full Version : Z probs

4TraxRider
09-14-2004, 02:40 PM
My Z has some kind of electrical problem. It never has any juice from the batter, but will start on a charger.(Tried several good batteries). It will only rev up about to about the same point as the reverse rev limiter, but runs fine on a 6 volt charger or with the lights off. I think it's the altenator, but I'm not sure due to the fact that I'm not very good with electrical things. Any ideas on what it would be would be great, and also if you know how hard it is to do. Thanks a lot.

Billdog350
09-15-2004, 07:08 AM
4trax, I believe my z400 sometimes seems to have a rev limiter when its in neutral that is lower than the usual rev limiter...however I don't have any charging problems.

From the sounds of it, you CDI isn't getting enough "juice" (voltage) and that is why your machine is cutting out. If you battery is fried, it could be shorting out your electrical system and/or ruining your charging system. I'm not sure if the Z has a fuse in the charging system, but look under the seat for any solenoids or fuses that might be blown or not working. Also, replace the battery with a good one...running your machine without a battery is extremely bad for it, and using a shorted out one is just as bad. Make sure to buy a trickle charger and charge the new battery for whatever time they recommend, I think at leats 24 hrs. Automotive chargers will charge the battery at too high of an amperage and shorten the life of the battery. Also, NEVER run your machine on the charger with the 6 volt setting.....thats just not a good idea. Lower voltage means higher amperage draw. Higher amperage means melted parts or fried electrical system.

4TraxRider
09-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. I've done some more testing and found that I have juice everywhere, when a charger is on, and only for about 5 seconds after I take it off, like I have a dead short somewhere, but I have checked the wires numerous times. I bought a brand new battery for it just in case my other two had something wrong with them, and still nothing. My local dealer thinks its my stator and rectifier, but I don't want to send it in for a 600$ repair if that's not really the problem. Thanks.

Billdog350
09-16-2004, 01:26 PM
That does sound like a hard short......which is not cool AT ALL. In order to save $600, even if you only have mediocre electrical skills, I would try to find the problem yourself. Get a cheap multimeter that does OHM's, continuity and voltage. The OHM meter part will help you for finding the short. I would try to disconnect everything that you don't need to run the machine...fuses for lights, starter, etc. and make sure to label it before you disconnect it so you know where to put it back. I have the e copy of the shop manual for the z400 so give me your email address and I can send you the electrial chapter/diagram so you can try to troubleshoot yourself. Its pretty simple really.

tclapp
09-27-2004, 11:26 PM
mine done the same thing and i dont know if yours sets very much or not but since i am away at school mine sets a lot so i took a wire brush to teh negative post and cable and it fixed the problem and had to tighten teh cable down really tight

buster369
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
check the ground for the bike

sunshine
10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
The same problem happened to me-turned out to be the selenoid.Tried other things-happened to my buddy too. Same fix as mine. Goodluck!