PDA

View Full Version : My frame still hitting?

MXRACER86
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I have a yamaha banshee with elka suspension. All I do is motocross I keep hitting my frame off of jumps? The only way I can prevent this is when I put my frame hieght at 8 and a half inches(To high of center of gravity for mx). While everybody else I know is a 7 inchs frame hieght. I also have kenda klaw rear tires and I have to but at least 10 psi in them or the frame hits. They spin to much with this kind of air pressure. They also make my 18 inch tires look like there 20 inch tires.These shock where set for my wieght. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pappy
09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
if your landing on the downside, and not flatlanding it , then i would suggest a stiffer main spring

cdalejef
09-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Its not uncommon for frames to come in contact with the ground when bottoming out. Is it doing it so hard that its tossing you over the bars?

MXRACER86
09-14-2004, 10:58 AM
It is doing it so hard that I thought that I broke my ankle.
I couldn't ride for the rest of the day. And It was not a big jump

cdalejef
09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
Then it sounds like the spring rates. Have you called Elka yet?

MXRACER86
09-14-2004, 11:41 AM
im gonna call them today

cdalejef
09-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Let me know how it pans out

boogiechile
09-14-2004, 08:35 PM
actually if the shocks are built to the right compressed length the frame should not hit the ground even when the shocks bottom completely out. The frame should be about 1 1/2 inches off the ground when the shocks bottom. You may need a longer compressed length shock. If you stiffen the springs to the point that it does not bottom then you probably will have waisted travel that never gets used. You should take all your shocks off and put your frame on 2x4s laying flat (1 1/2 inches high) and then measure the distance from shock mount to shock mount at the center of the holes. this should be your proper compressed length of the shocks. Then measure your shocks overall length center to center of the bolt holes. next measure the amount of shaft exposed from the bottom of the shock body to where it would bottom out metal to metal. Do not count the rubber stop, pretend it is not there. It is really hard to tell where metal to metal hits on an Elka shock but try to get close. Now subtract the last measurement from the overall shock length measured first and this should come up to the same as the measurement you made with the frame on the blocks between shock mounts. If the shock compressed length you figured comes up less than that could be your problem.

oh yea, i forgot to say to let all the air out of the tires when you drop it on the blocks before measuring it.

Jersey450R
09-16-2004, 07:43 PM
sounds like a banshee to me!:blah:

Shonto rider
03-15-2005, 05:15 PM
:huh :D