PDA

View Full Version : paddle tires

Got nads?
09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
what's everyone's opinion on what's good. From what I've been hearing all the poor handling charachteristics of straight paddles, as mentioned by some magazines, is virtually non-existent. Any truth to this?

zephead400ex
09-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Poor handeling of straight paddles:rolleyes: :confused: I have never heard that and I run 8 paddle King Turbo paddles, straight cut. I have absolutely no complaints about these paddles. I used to run Geckos, they suck a fat one!

So I would have to say, screw the magazines and get some straight cut. You have plenty of power w/ your 450R to run straight cut paddles and give a little body english when wanting to turn.

Peace

ledofthezep
09-14-2004, 11:26 AM
8 paddle King Turbo paddles, straight cut. I have absolutely no complaints about these paddles.
I agree, and for $160 mounted & ready to bolt on; pretty damn good deal. I've ran skat's before & they are good paddles if you don't mind spending the money.

Here's a pic of mine...
http://www.kcisp.net/~bking/HQquads/Sand%20Kings-turbopaddle.jpg

Got nads?
09-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Actually I ride a YFZ, my brother(Got Nads?) has the 450R. Any how I always read that it takes a good 3 miles to turn around if you run straight paddles, but have been hearing different. Any good place to order from?

Alon
09-15-2004, 12:43 AM
how are the sand geckos? i found someone selling a pair of paddles and rims for $50. should i get em or wait for somethign better?

Seano
09-15-2004, 05:15 AM
i think gecko's slide to much. i bought sand stars and they seem to be a happy medium. had straights on my zilla and they dont seem to slide at all

maynard22
09-15-2004, 09:37 AM
I was out at little sahara for sandfest and i rode on sand devil straight paddles all week and they worked just fine, make sure you're not running too much air pressure or you won't hook up as good and you'll get bounced around.

bigbadktm
09-15-2004, 10:19 AM
i am a strong supporter of the sand skate 2's from sand tires unlimited. more pricey, but well worth it in weight savings. these tires hook up awesome, and slide well too.

trust me, they are money well spent. excellent quality, and super light weight. i run em on 8" douglas blue labels

kssandduner
09-15-2004, 08:21 PM
I just ordered my new haulers from www.rockymountainatv.com. They had the best prices I could find. I think I might have ordered my old geckos from www.magicracing.com, but I'm not sure.

Joe

Got nads?
09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Can you actually slide with straight paddles though?:confused:

Lucky
09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by kssandduner
I just ordered my new haulers from www.rockymountainatv.com. They had the best prices I could find. I think I might have ordered my old geckos from www.magicracing.com, but I'm not sure.

Joe

Yes they slide fine

spud400ex
09-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Lucky
Yes they slide fine

as ledofthezep demonstrates

http://www.videodesk.net/show.aspx?user_key=12607&file=LedoftheZep03LE.WMV&send_link=1

foleyit
09-16-2004, 12:39 AM
I have a set of sand skate 2s. They cost la ittle more than the rest, but you benefit in weight savings in the end. I don't have any complaints with the way they behave in the sand. I spend more time carving than I do dragging, thestraight paddle is supposed to be the ticket for dragging. I've never tried a straight paddle on a 4-stroke, but they do just fine on a modded banshee when carving the dunes. If you want to get straight paddles, then I recommend you spend the money and get some sort of razors up front to help you turn.

bigbadktm
09-16-2004, 08:17 AM
i believe i will be spending the extra money on the sand skates for my wifes bike as well. i love everything about em...as for sliding in the sand, i could slide anyhting. its all a matter of your riding ability, and tire pressure.

schootar
09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
I have sand devils on my 400ex and shark fins on the front. I can slide it around just fine. I personnally prefer straight paddles to V's, but that is just my opinion. The front tires help big time, though. With a 450, you should have no trouble with getting straight paddles to slide around. If you can also invest in some razors or fins for the front tires.

JOEX
09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
There is no problem sliding staight paddles if you are used to them on your quad. I'm sure the HP and torque of the quad have an effect of the handling and traction of the tires too.

The v-paddles are easier to turn, a bit too easy if you're used to straights;)