PDA

View Full Version : best 400ex pipe

Hondaistheshiz
09-13-2004, 10:55 PM
What is the best pipe for a 416 ex with ported and polished head, and a sparks racing cam??
Thanks,
Danny

JR3
09-14-2004, 04:07 AM
prolly a sparks pipe

quadmxracer
09-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Curtis Sparks X-6 hands down is the best.

Hondaistheshiz
09-14-2004, 09:19 AM
well, on the sparks site, it says the x-6 is like 650$. I am only 14 and would liek to stay in the $450-$500 range.

Thanks,
Danny

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't think you looked at the price right, I really like the sparks exhaust I have one on my 416 and on the 450r.

T.Hopp
09-14-2004, 02:24 PM
I just checked ebay and you can (buy it now for under $500)

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-14-2004, 02:27 PM
you can also buy it now for under $500 from C&D Racing

Giz400ex
09-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by quadmxracer
Curtis Sparks X-6 hands down is the best. I would not agree on the word "best"! Its good, but not the best!:cool:

Hondaistheshiz
09-14-2004, 03:19 PM
o nvm, i looked at the site, and it says it is like 439. my bad. Is the x-6 better than trinity stage 4?? Or an LRD pipe??

JRDrider22
09-14-2004, 03:28 PM
yes hands down. sparks is the best

Giz400ex
09-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
yes hands down. sparks is the best Hands up!!! there is no BEST pipe!!! To me, you can't go wrong with HMF, Hetrick, or LRD!! I got suckered into all the Sparks x-6 crap and ended up being a waste. Waste of time and money! I will agree that it gave good mid and top but you can find that in other pipes plus low end!!! I had the SS which was nice but, I'm sorry!! I think the x-6 is blown way out in orbit and is in no way as good everybody makes it out to be. I'm not knocking but when somebody says its the best?:eek: .............No way! its good but not the best!!

JRDrider22
09-14-2004, 03:58 PM
wow thats funny. sparks has been the best motor makers in the last 2 years.

Giz400ex
09-14-2004, 05:26 PM
wow thats funny. sparks has been the best motor makers in the last 2 years. Well, thats all fine and dandy but were talking about pipes:huh, not engine builders:D

JRDrider22
09-14-2004, 05:56 PM
exhaust is part of your motor. you need an exhaust to ride. sparks is the best listen to everyone. you wont be upset with sparks

Hondaistheshiz
09-14-2004, 05:58 PM
all right thanks. I am gonna go with the x-6. I am going to have motor work done so i feel this pipe will benefit me. Thanks.

JRDrider22
09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
ncie choice. i love my x-6

Giz400ex
09-14-2004, 07:22 PM
:blah: :D

jmpulse
09-14-2004, 08:53 PM
There are better pipes out there! Been there, seen that. Until I start seeing certain big companie's exausts put against certain smaller companie's exaust I will stand by this.

cals400ex
09-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jmpulse
There are better pipes out there! Been there, seen that. Until I start seeing certain big companie's exausts put against certain smaller companie's exaust I will stand by this.

what do you recommend then?

jmpulse
09-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
what do you recommend then?

I have the LTE racing exaust system. It makes as good if not better power than any out there, and can do it at Oregon dB's on most models.

thump4863
09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jmpulse
I have the LTE racing exaust system. It makes as good if not better power than any out there, and can do it at Oregon dB's on most models.

That doesnt make sence....you saw you will stand by the smaller companies which is fine but yet you paid nearly double for an lte pipe than you would have for a sparks.

pnut420
09-15-2004, 10:44 PM
exhaust is part of your motor. you need an exhaust to ride. sparks is the best listen to everyone. you wont be upset with sparks

Have you tired others? Prob not, do you race? Prob not. I have gone from Sparks to HMF and honestly the the HMF did about as good as the Sparks, maybe not up top but def down low. The quality of the Hmf and LRD are awesome, it will last alot longer than a Sparks pipe for sure also. I loved my Sparks and would buy a used one, but Im not for buying new pipes and getting a dent in the can because it hits the rear caliper over large jumps, oh and Sparks being #1 builder does not have anything to do with his pipes. :D

Bottom line if you want a pipe that will last and is good for the money get a HMF or LRD. Ive ran both and the Sparks makes a ton of noise thats for sure and it seems like you are going faster, but head to head it really isnt much difference. I also think their are many factors that affect your choice. The HMF has a larger head pipe and more restriction coming from its silencer because the llarger headpipe, where the sparks is smaller headpipe then tapers slowly into the silencer, 2 different pipes but each has its own benefit Im sure. If you want a great all around pipe that will last get a HMF or LRD, talk to Colby at C and D and see what he has to say, cause Im sure he will be for the HMF also its a good pipe.

jmpulse
09-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by thump4863
That doesnt make sence....you saw you will stand by the smaller companies which is fine but yet you paid nearly double for an lte pipe than you would have for a sparks.

How much power does the Sparks system loose by running the quiet core? What is the dB rating with the quiet core?

On both my quads, 450R and 400EX, they have pulled better dyno numbers than other big name exausts, while my quiet cores were in. I beleive that the 400EX is loosing about 1/4-1/2hp with the quiet core in, and the dB go from 110'ish, to about 89dB. I have been checked for dB's in my home area in Cali, and in Oregon. I feel that the added $300 is well worth the the peice of mind that I won't get a sound ticket, plus if in Oregon, points on my lisence.

Plus, the more motor work that is done, the better the system works. I have see this on a very tricked out Raptor with a motor built by a major motor/exaust company. The gain from the exaust swap was impressive. The work for the Raptor owner was done at LTE's shop, by them. Their goal was to tune the set-up to the max with all the other companies items. Then they swapped out the exaust system, and retuned. There was no tricks played, they wanted a true test of their product.

Before anyone bashes me for not putting the other companys name in my post, let me explain. I choose to leave out the other names because I am not wanting to bash any other companies, just promote a product that I find to be far superrior. Take this how you want.

Thank you for your time

cals400ex
09-16-2004, 01:40 AM
i haven't had any problems with my sparks yet. i just actually found it my bike is much quicker with stock gearing on my 426. i was running 15/36 but lost a ton of 4th and 5th gear power. i would love to test the lrd, hmf, and lte with my sparks x-6 and my buddies x-4. however, i am not buying all of the to do the testing. if i could buy a used one and sell it for what i paid for it, i wouldn't have any problem at all. i don't know. i may prefer one of the other pipes over my x-6. i do know high rpm power is my main concern. i mainly drag race and i care very little about 1st and 2nd gear power. i want it in 3rd and 4th mostly, and 5th is more important than than 1st and 2nd for myself.

Giz400ex
09-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Have you tired others? Prob not, do you race? Prob not. I have gone from Sparks to HMF and honestly the the HMF did about as good as the Sparks, maybe not up top but def down low. The quality of the Hmf and LRD are awesome, it will last alot longer than a Sparks pipe for sure also. I loved my Sparks and would buy a used one, but Im not for buying new pipes and getting a dent in the can because it hits the rear caliper over large jumps, oh and Sparks being #1 builder does not have anything to do with his pipes. :D

Bottom line if you want a pipe that will last and is good for the money get a HMF or LRD. Ive ran both and the Sparks makes a ton of noise thats for sure and it seems like you are going faster, but head to head it really isnt much difference. I also think their are many factors that affect your choice. The HMF has a larger head pipe and more restriction coming from its silencer because the llarger headpipe, where the sparks is smaller headpipe then tapers slowly into the silencer, 2 different pipes but each has its own benefit Im sure. If you want a great all around pipe that will last get a HMF or LRD, talk to Colby at C and D and see what he has to say, cause Im sure he will be for the HMF also its a good pipe. THANK YOU!!!!