PDA

View Full Version : Airbox & Water

red2004 TRX450R
09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
I just got a sparks pipe and filter for my 450r. So I called them to talk jetting. They really want me to take off my lid. I told them I really did not want to cause of all the water and mud in the wood where I ride. He told me then to cut just the back of the lid out.

I don’t want to cut the back of the lid cause I want riding this week end and my boots were full of water and my pants were soaked through and through.

SO what can I do to get more air in and still keep the water out?
Bigger intake tube?
DO outerwear lids work?
What do U XC people do??

BOONE450R
09-13-2004, 08:43 AM
buy the hrc air box lid.

quadrcr161
09-13-2004, 08:51 AM
if your that worried about the water forget the sparks stuff and just remove the baffel out of the stock exhaust. to get more power out of a motor it has to have more air from both ends and you will have to give up your air box lid.

red2004 TRX450R
09-13-2004, 08:54 AM
with the HRC lid Where/ how does that baffle thing fix. does it fix in the back of the box or does it hand down behind the filter?
any pix....

does any one have one for sale? I would be interested it the whole lid, intake, and the T thing!!!

BOONE450R
09-13-2004, 09:00 AM
it rolls down right behind the filter, helps keep water from splashing on the filter

quadrcr161
09-13-2004, 09:00 AM
the HRC lid has holes cut in it but it has a cover that goes over the filter. it mainly keeps mud from directly hitting the filter but wouldnt be much help if your getting the bike as soaked as you claim you are. i meant remove the baffel out of the stock exhaust, it will make it a little louder but wouldnt hurt the jetting as much and you could keep the stock air box lid.

or just buy a utility if your going to play in woods and water.

ohguy79
09-13-2004, 09:36 AM
U can buy a outerwears lid. It's their pre-filter material as a lid. I think it velcros on. I just ordered one. Then if u want u could cut out the back of your box and put it on over your outerwears cover. Then u would would have great protection. They are only like 20 bucks.

450 Racer R
09-13-2004, 10:45 AM
They're saying the HRC lid covers the filter but wouldn't help much if your box fills with water. I'd just remove the plug on the bottom of the air box to let the water drain out. I run with no lid and removed that plug on the bottom. I mean the filter could still get wet but at least it won't be submerged in water.

red2004 TRX450R
09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
My plug is a self-emptying, it has a slit in it.

What I was thing, what I may do is cut my box like the HRC and get a large piece of outerwear and rap it over the top of the lid and tuck it in to seal it.
I don’t like the idea of putting a outerwear cover on then the lid with a hole in it because water will be trapped by the lid. Know what I mean

And I will all so get a outerwear for my filter.

red2004 TRX450R
09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
I have never ran on outerwear how restorative are they. IF I run 2 of them will the jetting be the same as an open box???

sntheticdeluson
09-13-2004, 07:14 PM
take the lid off i was haveing the same delima as you i just took it off and tried it its been fine i run it through creeks and all

red2004 TRX450R
09-15-2004, 09:45 AM
I just got off the phone with sparks again!
they still want me to take the lid off but if I dont they sead

lid on with sparks pipe and filter kit

135 Main Jet
Air Screw 2 turns OUT
Needle stock

does this seem right?

quadrcr161
09-15-2004, 09:57 AM
the reason they want you to take the lid of is to let the motor breath and make the power that the exhaust and intake will open up. it probally wont be much different then stock because you will still have the intake restricted. it will just be a little louder.

red2004 TRX450R
09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
ya I know

The lid may come off sooner than later.

but we just got 6 in of rain in one day and this summer was wet.
I plan on taking the lid off my next summer if not by this week end!!!!

I just got the pipe and i cant whate till it drys up to ride it. or for the outerwere and jet kit to come in. U SEE and I paid a lot of money for this quad and its not worth the 3 or so HP if the quad sucks water and trashes it. K

quadrcr161
09-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
ya I know

The lid may come off sooner than later.

but we just got 6 in of rain in one day and this summer was wet.
I plan on taking the lid off my next summer if not by this week end!!!!

I just got the pipe and i cant whate till it drys up to ride it. or for the outerwere and jet kit to come in. U SEE and I paid a lot of money for this quad and its not worth the 3 or so HP if the quad sucks water and trashes it. K

i know how much they cost, i have one also. and i know the extra HP isnt worth the motor sucking water. but if its that big of a deal, just pull the pea shooter out the stock pipe and you will get about the same gain wihtout spending all the money on the sparks kit, and you could still run your air box lid. its just 3 bolts and the allen wrench in the tool kit fits it.

thump4863
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
I race XC and I got an airbox lid from ehsracing.com .... I was hesitant at first so I got it and put it under the faucet and no water went through it. Its basically the same as the outerwears. Works great and its the same as having your airbox lid off.

garett
09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
ehs.com all i can say fellows hold it under your faucet no water but it breathes great

FatBoy Racing
09-15-2004, 04:41 PM
I run the HRC lid and really dig it. I'd go with that and make sure that your box is draining fine and go have fun.

red2004 TRX450R
09-16-2004, 01:33 PM
well im opening up the air box!
im making a custom lid. Will post pix as soon as its done.
Id like to say my design will make the lid all most water proof!!!
and what water will get in will be defelected away from the filter!!
just have to wate for the sparks jet kit and some other parts to make my lid!

:devil:

09-16-2004, 06:20 PM
my custom lid

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid1.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid2.jpg

dvsmnd
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM
before i got my hrc lid, i just drilled 6, 1inch holes in the stock lid and inserted those airbox filter plug things, just wipe a little ABS glue around each one and they wont fall out.

WOracing
09-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161

or just buy a utility if your going to play in woods and water.

word

WOracing
09-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
my custom lid

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid1.jpg

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/lid2.jpg

thast pretty sick, i bet you could sell those:devil: ;) i would buy one

09-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
thast pretty sick, i bet you could sell those:devil: ;) i would buy one

Thanks, one of my friends repairs lawn equipment. He came up with that idea. It is a part off of a lawn mower.

red2004 TRX450R
09-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Its been a wet summer.
http://www.post-gazette.com/journal/photos_bydate.asp?ODate=9%2F18%2F04
60 miles down the road form me!!!

4punksdad
09-21-2004, 07:30 PM
http://www.exriders.com/productreviews/aircover.html

I actually ended up attaching the fabric to the outside of the airbox lid cutout using 100% silicone and it shed water nicely. Don't forget to remove the drain plug and zip tie the finger of a rubber glove to the opening with a slit in it.

quadrcr161
09-21-2004, 09:41 PM
watch out for your case breather also. i know it goes on the side of the air box but my uncles brand new recon 4x4 es almost got ruined. his wouldnt start so he had the seat, and airbox lid off of it. it was in his shed but they were hit by the hurricane and it riped the top of the shed off and flooded the air box. while i was there helping clean up he asked me to look at it. once i drained the airbox and traced the breather line i checked the oil and it was milk white and nothing but water. his is right under the air filter and i konw ours is on the side, just saying there is other ways water can get in.