PDA

View Full Version : crf cam?

chris450R
09-12-2004, 11:37 PM
how good are the crf cams for mx? i read on one thread that someone said the '04 crf cam was good for mx but i have also heard that they really don't make that much more power than stock. so i would just really like to know from anyone how good are they really!? what kind of power increase am i lookin at? also what kind of cams are they? is the power increases bottom-mid or mid-high? oh and i don't have a cam yet just tryin to figure out what would be best.

thanks, chris

protrax
09-13-2004, 07:15 AM
02 crf cams are the same grind as Sparks drop in aggressive
The cam to go with is an 04 crf cam, Crf cams work best with higher compression. The 04 will give you great midrange power, This is what Mark Baldwin reccomended to me.
I have in mine a JE 2 ring 13.8to1 comp piston,ported and polished,04 crf cam, 03 crf 41mm carb, 04 crf complete ignition and a Sparks exhaust running on ultimate 4 . The sad part of the story is it is still not as fast as my Laeger's crf , but i have a few more tricks up my sleeve . Hope this helps

Jersey450R
09-13-2004, 07:29 AM
this cam is great for mx. i've been on a 450 with a crf cam in it and an hmf pipe. jetted of course, this bike was rather completly differnt than my stock motor. it lit up from the bottom and pulled hard in the midrange while gaining a smother, more drastic and longer pull throughout the gears. you could really hear the power coming really deep in the motor.

chris450R
09-13-2004, 09:36 AM
protrax, thanks alot man for the info. so mark baldwin really recommended that cam for you? well thats cool. i plan on this winter gettin me a '03 crf carb, but how much did the cam, carb and crf ignition? also did the '04 cam help any on bottom end? that is really where i would like some power and also in the mid. piston maybe a later thing after i get the chasis pimped. and portin and polishin that would be awhile. how would just the cam carb, and ignition help me out? well thanks again.

protrax
09-13-2004, 01:41 PM
The biggest gane will come from the crf ignition , It really helps smooth out the power and revs to 11,500 verse the trx 9800
i would reccomend buying the parts from service Honda and sending them to Baldwin for the mod $199, the same with the carb and you can get the adapter from Noss machine for $65 The 04 cam really makes it pull low, mid right through the top and its only like $160
hope this helps

chris450R
09-14-2004, 09:12 PM
protrax, how much was just the full crf ignition? and what exactly is the mod from baldwin? how do you think it will perform with just the cam and carb for now? thanks, alot for the info. chris