PDA

View Full Version : Sand causing death sounds?

RedneckEX
09-12-2004, 08:39 PM
So hears the story, and what I think is causing it.

I spent all weekend out in the dunes. On two occasions I was hillclimbing with the EX, and buried the rear down to the carrier, maybe a little further. For info I run no skidplate when duning. So on those two occasions I was in second gear and trying to power out of it. Both times it spun for a couple seconds, then bogged a tiny bit, and then two or three louds clunks out of the back of the transmission or front sprocket area. Both times I let off after I heard it. This instantly cured the problem. I had no other problems with it two days straight.
I figure it to be sand and gunk following around with the chain and trying to pass through the front sprocket. I have a good buddy that works for a KTM team down in Arizona and is finishing up at MMI, he says he dealt with it before on his R, and that my chain just may have been a tad too tight to boot.
What do you all think.
THanks,
Allan

ben41884
09-13-2004, 12:12 AM
hey i had a similar problem with my 300ex....it would be fine if i would just roll it but when i put a bind on it something would make some awful popping and grinding. i looked everywhere to see what was wrong then i thought about it and realized my chain was too tight. i loosened it and it was fine. now i just hafta replace those stupid axle bearings!....not as a result of the tight chain though...good luck

bigbadktm
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
at first i thought you were gonna talk about the booming sounds or roaring dunes you hear out in the dunes. but it soounds most likely to be the chain.

TheFontMaster
09-13-2004, 07:30 PM
I had a similar problem, but it would make those noises when I backed down a hill and let off the throtle and coasted, for me it turned out that the chain was too loose. I don't see how a chain would do that if ti was too tight, but it does sound like the chain.

ewalker302
09-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Ever got a rock stuck hard between the rotor and the skid.

Souds like fingernails on a blackboard x 20

:bandit:

frosti108
09-15-2004, 01:40 PM
maybe the chain was too loose and it was slipping? idk but its gotta be somethin with the chain however you look at it...