PDA

View Full Version : I Get To Take An Ambulance Ride Instead Of Racing

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Well instead of racing I got something a bit unwanted today:

Heres the story as best as I can type it (with a sprained wrist).........

In practice before the motos start, they usually run us with the sport quad class (blasters and 300exs), but they let the Women take off first so we can jump and stuff and not get caught up behind all the kids and such and not land on them.....anyways they let the sport quad class go pretty much in front of ours so I was trying to get around as many of them as I could so I could actually get some good warm up time done. Well, I was starting to make a move around one of them in a straight away, and the kid didnt hold his line at all and he swerved into me. My right front hooked up with his left rear and made my quad wheelie straight up and jump into the air. It wouldnt have been THAT bad.............BUT there was a fence in front of me.... The quad tried to jump over the fence and the bumper clipped the top of the fence and threw me hard face down into the ground and the quad flipped hard and landed HARD on my back and tailbone. TALK ABOUT PAIN......... they were scared I hurt my organs and broke my back...... I was VERY lucky b/c my seat was the part that hit me...... I have a nice big bruise thats the pattern of my gripper seat thats as dark as my truck's maroon. Anyways, I get to ride on that lovely hard board going about 90 mph to the hospital and every little bump i feel bc of course my *** is hitting that board, I about wanted to wring somebody's neck. So I get into the hospital and they are all asking my questions and I wait forever for pain medication. After that I get X-Rays and I find out nothing is broken bad, I have somewhat of a feeling I fractured something and they missed it, but my bruises are so deep and so bad that something might as well be broken. It was a very scary ordeal and I'm in huge pain, my stomach got beat up, my wrist got sprained, my tailbone is totally screwed, i think my organs got bruised a little, and my back has some bad marks and bruises all over it (I am SO lucky I didnt break my back)
I'll probably take some pics of that nasty bruise in a while or tomorrow...anyways thats my lovely day!

JOEX
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune:(

Hope you get well soon and kick arse on the track:)

Quad18star
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Damn , thats some tough luck . But like you said , you are very lucky you didn't break anything , especially your back . Gotta love having those 90 mph rides in the ambulance while strapped to a board and you get to feel everything . I had a simular journey about a onth ago , but I got a busted leg out of it and was able to ride in the helicopter . The ride in the chopper is just as rough as the ambualnce itself . Hope you get well soon .

09-12-2004, 08:14 PM
damn, that sucks...glad your ok

I-7
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear of the mishap :( . Get well soon :cool:

400exrules
09-12-2004, 08:25 PM
ouch that had to hurt, but like you said it could have easily been alot worse. Hope u get well soon ;)

Ralph
09-12-2004, 08:29 PM
get well soon:)

remlapr
09-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Ouch. Did you get to smack the kid that swerved into you on the way to the ambulance?

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Ouch. Did you get to smack the kid that swerved into you on the way to the ambulance?

i wish i knew who it was bc i would talk to the parents of the importance of teaching their kid to hold lines bc that is dangerous

LTandRaptorider
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
i wish i knew who it was bc i would talk to the parents of the importance of teaching their kid to hold lines bc that is dangerous

thumping the kid along side his head with each point you make!:p

Glad to hear ya didn't get hurt too bad... give your body a week or 2 to heal before getting back at it. I'll stop by in a week to give you a full body massage... :D

Big400EX
09-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah it is dangerous. Get well soon.:blah:

partyboy300ex
09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
wow that really must of hurt...glad your ok..how bout your qaud did it hurt it any?

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by partyboy300ex
wow that really must of hurt...glad your ok..how bout your qaud did it hurt it any?

actually the cannondale isnt hurt too bad, just my grab bar was the only real damage, it cracked all the way through but i'll weld her up

and it hurt like hell, that quad smooshed me good....... it just slammed into me and bounced off like crazy so it was going at a pretty good speed

PhilMoore
09-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Sorry about your wreck. Hope you get well soon.

This brings up a good topic:
Holding your line.

I don't know how they do it in Texas, but here in Minnesota, we have rider's meetings before the festivities begin. The bosses don't bring it up every time, but they should. Especially for first timers who show up, and even those experienced racers who "forget". You need to hold your line. Intentionally swerving to block is especially unsportsmanlike and dangerous. If you are getting tired, can't stay smooth, or just plain aren't as fast as the guy trying to pass you, just keep driving as best you can, but don't swerve like a drunken cretin.

Another point I would like to bring up is the fact that some people think practice is racing. There are always a few who can't just go out and ride the track. I haven't MX'ed since 2003, but there were always a couple guys who had to "show everybody how good they are" and stir up dust. This point has been brought up at riders meetings also. The bosses say "Practice is not racing." You don't get a better gate, you don't get a trophy. You have to complete the actual race for those perks.

Personally, I have found that after a wreck, if nothing is BROKEN, getting out and moving around as much as my body will allow seems to speed recovery for me. When you wake up tomorrow, and it feels like you can't move, you just gotta get up and get moving as soon as possible. Of course, it seems like the second day after a race is the worst for me. For example if I race Saturday, the following Monday is when I am really bummin'. (I usually have to work...:) )

Is your insurance going to cover everything?

Good luck, and hope your recovery is speedy.

Phil

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
Sorry about your wreck. Hope you get well soon.

This brings up a good topic:
Holding your line.

I don't know how they do it in Texas, but here in Minnesota, we have rider's meetings before the festivities begin. The bosses don't bring it up every time, but they should. Especially for first timers who show up, and even those experienced racers who "forget". You need to hold your line. Intentionally swerving to block is especially unsportsmanlike and dangerous. If you are getting tired, can't stay smooth, or just plain aren't as fast as the guy trying to pass you, just keep driving as best you can, but don't swerve like a drunken cretin.

Another point I would like to bring up is the fact that some people think practice is racing. There are always a few who can't just go out and ride the track. I haven't MX'ed since 2003, but there were always a couple guys who had to "show everybody how good they are" and stir up dust. This point has been brought up at riders meetings also. The bosses say "Practice is not racing." You don't get a better gate, you don't get a trophy. You have to complete the actual race for those perks.

Personally, I have found that after a wreck, if nothing is BROKEN, getting out and moving around as much as my body will allow seems to speed recovery for me. When you wake up tomorrow, and it feels like you can't move, you just gotta get up and get moving as soon as possible. Of course, it seems like the second day after a race is the worst for me. For example if I race Saturday, the following Monday is when I am really bummin'. (I usually have to work...:) )

Is your insurance going to cover everything?

Good luck, and hope your recovery is speedy.

Phil

i am going to say something about having the kids run in front of us in our practice moto, here i am with a 440cc bike with a ton of power and they are on blasters trying to block me when im trying to just get around so i can get in a groove and hit the jumps to get ready. i know these kids are the future of the sport but they need to be taught right

wilkin250r
09-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Injury is a part of racing, we all know the risks. But it really sucks when you get injured in practice, by a stupid little kid that doesn't know what he's doing. Make it a point to tell the race promoters that this is the exact reason why the kids should go second.

Be careful with deep bruises. If you develop a fever, tell your doctor imediately. You can develop an blood infection even though the skin isn't broken. My mom is a nurse, she treated a kid that lost his leg, all due to a deep bruise.

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
i didnt have a fever earlier but i feel kind of feverish now but i think that might be from the meds bc im on quite a bit (800 mg on one pill and 400 on another)

remlapr
09-12-2004, 09:56 PM
So what about your parents? Bet they aren't happy about you getting hurt....

wilkin250r
09-12-2004, 10:03 PM
You said the happened today? I doubt an infection would manifest this quickly, so you're probably OK. Just keep it in the back of your mind.

Like I said, my mom is treating a kid that lost his leg, all because he got a deep bruise in football. He didn't break his leg, he never broke the skin, but he got an infection from the bruise, and they had to amputate to save his life. If they caught the infection early, some simple antibiotics would have saved his leg.

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You said the happened today? I doubt an infection would manifest this quickly, so you're probably OK. Just keep it in the back of your mind.

Like I said, my mom is treating a kid that lost his leg, all because he got a deep bruise in football. He didn't break his leg, he never broke the skin, but he got an infection from the bruise, and they had to amputate to save his life. If they caught the infection early, some simple antibiotics would have saved his leg.

yes it was today, im thinking ive just been feverish bc im on so much medication, im starting to feel weak from it

JOEX
09-12-2004, 10:13 PM
My friends dad almost lost his leg due to a deep bruise while unloading the quads from the trailer, didn't even break the skin. He now has a scar from just below the kneecap to his ankle where they had to cut out the flesh. His leg was hooked up to a suction device for many weeks while the wound healed.

I don't mean to scare you, just want you to be aware of what could happen;)

batgeek
09-12-2004, 10:24 PM
cut it off!!!

cut it off now!!!!

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2004, 10:25 PM
LOL theyd have to cut my *** and back off thats where im bruised!

JUSTINcredible
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
my friend got his bill from his ambulance ride to the hospital when he crashed racing a few months ago... its was $1350 adn his insurance wont pay for the ambulance trip

batgeek
09-12-2004, 10:58 PM
LOL theyd have to cut my *** and back off thats where im bruised!

hrmmm, yes. that would pose a definite problem :(

QuadJunkies
09-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear the news but glad you are ok.....;) HBe very careful of deep bruises, I knwo when Troy ran over his foot last year it turned completly black and they were concerned about blood clots. I too took a digger on my quad last wk end:o landed on my hip and I thought for a moment I broke something in my neck from the sound I heard!!:eek2: . Boy, when you get older... we sure fall HARDER.........:p

JR3
09-13-2004, 03:46 AM
hope ya get better :)

MY450R
09-13-2004, 06:50 AM
i hope you get well soon
i know its a pain in the *****
pun intended

bansheeguy77
09-13-2004, 07:29 AM
sorry to hear about that, hope ya get better soon. but atleast your alive, and nothing is broken. just a few battle scars. are ya starting to feel better with the soreness or cant ya feel anything from the meds?

sharkinthepool
09-13-2004, 07:54 AM
You have away of making things graphic to say the least.

Hope it did not hurt as bad as you described it.
Get well soon "chick"

09-13-2004, 07:58 AM
i have a deep bruise right now on my leg....ill show you a pic. when I get home from school & I can get on imagestation

insaneracin2003
09-13-2004, 08:57 AM
cdalechick,i must have just missed it,i got there around 10:00am ant they just started the 2nd moto in the first round.i was wondering where you were.
i tried to change the oil in my 400ex fri and the botton of the oin tank cracked almost completely off,so needless to say,i was a spectator this weekend.
well i hope you get better soon,and look forward to seeing you t the splendora race....paul S #174

FourFiftyFour
09-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
cdalechick,i must have just missed it,i got there around 10:00am ant they just started the 2nd moto in the first round.i was wondering where you were.
i tried to change the oil in my 400ex fri and the botton of the oin tank cracked almost completely off,so needless to say,i was a spectator this weekend.
well i hope you get better soon,and look forward to seeing you t the splendora race....paul S #174

not very many ppl saw it, bc it was during practice and still further away than where most everyone was.....hardly anyone even knew i wrecked, i dont want to complain but someone needs to tell dee and david germany not to run the blasters right in front of us

insaneracin2003
09-13-2004, 09:06 AM
not very many ppl saw it, bc it was during practice and still further away than where most everyone was.....hardly anyone even knew i wrecked, i dont want to complain but someone needs to tell dee and david germany not to run the blasters right in front of us
they usually dont run the blaster class with you guys in practice,do they?with the amount of entries in the blaster class,they should have run yall with the novice,i think novice had 7 or 8 riders and the blaster class a bunch.or at least let yall go first.you ladies are fast.how lond did they say you were going to be out for??

pa_countryboy
09-13-2004, 09:26 AM
That sucks hope you feel better. Sometimes I dont know what the hell promoters are thinkin when they run the practices.

FourFiftyFour
09-13-2004, 09:39 AM
they usually dont run the blaster class with you guys in practice,do they?with the amount of entries in the blaster class,they should have run yall with the novice,i think novice had 7 or 8 riders and the blaster class a bunch.or at least let yall go first.you ladies are fast.how lond did they say you were going to be out for??

they usually let us out first, i typed a big long thing in the rage forum, i hope no one gets mad, but maybe if you could say something in the forum also and agree with me it wont look as bad, i think david germany is the only one who always lets the blasters run at the same time instead of holding them back

insaneracin2003
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
they usually let us out first, i typed a big long thing in the rage forum, i hope no one gets mad, but maybe if you could say something in the forum also and agree with me it wont look as bad, i think david germany is the only one who always lets the blasters run at the same time instead of holding them back
ill do that for ya

FourFiftyFour
09-13-2004, 09:47 AM
ill do that for ya

thanks, i just dont want ppl to think im a whiner or complaining, i just see potential in more people getting hurt