PDA

View Full Version : CRF Brake Conversion

Tech23
09-12-2004, 06:54 PM
I want to do the CRF brake conversion on my 400EX, Can anyone tell me if this is a "bolt on", I will be using the stock cast aluminum swingarm. I know I will need the 250R brake rotor & hub & a GT thunder stay. Can I use the EX axle lock nut assembly? Also can I use my stainless steel brake hose{ for the stock single piston caliper} with this conversion or will I need a different length brake hose?

JH Racing
09-14-2004, 08:45 AM
your brake line will work fine. you will need a 250R disk,anti-fade or disk bracket, CRF caliper bracket,and CRF front caliper. I sell the set up but we use American dream brackets and only 02-03 CRF calipers will work with it so you might check that out before you order.

Pappy
09-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech23, i have everything needed except the caliper. i have a 450R so no need for it:p

Tech23
09-14-2004, 06:36 PM
I ordered a caliper stay from GT thunder already, but thank you anyway. I got a front caliper assembly from E-Bay....from a 2001 CR 250R.... Service Honda shows part #`s for caliper/bracket & brake pads are the same as 2002-2003 CRF 450R. The caliper assembly`s for both the CR & CRF appear to be identical so I should be OK.....Sure hope Service Hondas parts fische is accurate.I had already done a search on this topic and {Damn Pappy 800 Pages!!!}it looks like everyone that has performed this conversion has used an aftermarket swingarm. Pappy I searched high & low for a picture of your setup, but in every picture the rear caliper was not yet mounted. My concern with the stock cast swingarm is where the caliper stay mates to the swingarm, the cast swingarm is thicker in this area and it looks like it may create a clearance issue with the lower slider pin on the CR/CRF style caliper,the picture of the American dream stay shows how close the slider pin comes to the swingarm.I have a friend at work looking into a new rotor hub & aftermarket S.S. rotor, If the hub is an obsolete part I`ll be in touch Pappy.I am also told that I may have a clearance issue between the rotor mounting bolts and the CR/CRF caliper bracket, Pappy did you experience this?If I am wrong on any of this please let me know..Thanks

Pappy
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
you may have to grind a small amount for clerence but its very easy to do and also easy to see where it needs done.

Tech23
09-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the information, will I be able to gain the necessary clearance using a 90 die grinder & a 3M Roloc disc? Do you happen to know if the 250R rotor hub is still readily available as a new part, or is it obsolete like the 250R rear caliper

Narly R
09-16-2004, 11:54 PM
I have a LSR CRF, and I have a crf barke caliper, master sylinder, and pedal. I bought the American Dream caliper mount. Everything worked fine, besides I CANT get my brakes to blead. I havent tried changing the line yet, but its fits fine without leaks or anything. So I dunno what im going to do there...:mad:

racerx573
09-19-2004, 11:25 PM
www.americandreammotorsports.com