PDA

View Full Version : dual row carrier or tapered carrier?

rebel red ex
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
which one is better? there really only $20 dollar diffenece so which onre would work best and last the longest

rebel red ex
09-12-2004, 06:12 PM
anyone? and also are they alot better than the stock carrier?

SnowFlake
09-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Idk i just ordered a dual row carrier and i dont know how its gonna be, so if anyone can give us info to this thread.

Pappy
09-12-2004, 06:29 PM
they are both better then the stock cast unit. i cant give you the tech on why one would be better then the other (dual vs. tapered) but i believe the tapered offers more side load strength which the average rider wouldnt notice.

i run Burgard carriers, dual row bearings and have never had any trouble.

cals400ex
09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
check this out:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=87401

i have a double row and it hasn't given any problems. i think if you get the tapered, you need to make sure you torque the nuts holding the axle on. i believe this torquing of the axle nuts is what holding the carrier in place.

hondarider2006
09-13-2004, 02:10 AM
I have been running a Burgad twin-row for about a season now and have had 0 problems with it. MUCH better than stock:cool:

dynofox
09-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I like my woodward specialties twin row carrier, its been good to me so far.

TC426EX
09-13-2004, 06:13 PM
I used to run a LSR dual row carrier and now run an RPM tapered carrier. I didnt have any problems with the LSR at all, just sold it with my old swingarm. I wanted to try the tapered carrier and havent had any problems with that either. Basically, as Pap mentioned earlier it is more resistant to side loads like mx provides with cornering, etc... You wont have a problem with either carrier you choose, but I personally prefer the tapered. For 20 extra bucks thats what Id get.

K_Fulk
09-13-2004, 09:51 PM
I havent had to replace a bearing in about 3 years with tapered carriers.

But i did go to a magnum tapered carrier (made by rad) this spring to have the zerk on the outside of the swingarm. The grease zerks actually grease the bearing in these. Ive never had any problems with torqueing them down either just tighten. Then the swingarm.

The dual rows are really only greasing the spacer tube since the bearings are sealed.

Either way there both way better.

Nathan400ex
09-14-2004, 08:19 AM
i have a burgard and have no problems with it

Pappy
09-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk

The dual rows are really only greasing the spacer tube since the bearings are sealed.

actually the dual row carrier usually have the inner seal removed so that when greased the grease can enter the bearings.