PDA

View Full Version : want a 250r

abc
09-12-2004, 02:08 PM
I really want a 250r but the only thing holding me back is how they are so old and i don;t want to be dumping money onto this thing left and right. Since they are so old are they a lot more unreliable than a newer quad like a 400ex. please help

beak7707
09-12-2004, 02:41 PM
GO for it, if you buy a good clean one to start with and treat it good it will treat you good. Why do you think there are still so many out there, you will have maintenance issues with any quad you buy. I love my 250r and do very little to it, besides change oil and fill with gas.

abc
09-12-2004, 02:56 PM
ok man thanx. Does anyone else have any oppinions?

Syrus
09-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Comparing a 400ex to a 250r is kinda hard, since 4 stroke bikes have very little maintnence compared to a 2 stroke.

Sm0k3d
09-12-2004, 03:54 PM
you have to be VERY careful buying bikes this old!!! 18 years is a lot of years that some one can be abusing the bike! I bought one that LOOKED like it was mint condition for 5k but it turned out to be a hassle, having a cracked sleeve in it, no oil in the bottom end, etc.. you will need to check every thing out, things that are most likely to wear fast is chain sliders, rear brake disc (check for cracks inbetween holes), motor mounts, etc.. you really want to check to see if they cut things off the frame or chopped things up.. If you see one that has a crappy hack job on the airbox and every thing like that, ussually the rest of the bike is just a hack job! I have dumped quite a bit of money into mine, though my brothers has been flawless! Some are great, some aren't.. Thats why I am buying a new 450r with a 4 year warrenty, I know the parts are brand new, i know they dont have 5+ years on the bearings, etc..

abc
09-12-2004, 05:16 PM
thnax for the commentsa guys