PDA

View Full Version : Twist Grip throttle...

Jay300ex
04-09-2002, 05:28 AM
Just a little curious, since I wanted one of these on my quad, does anyone know exactly how difficult they are to install? I am hoping not to have to go back down to the shop and have them put it on, I had to order the whole vortex grip and cables, so I am probably going to have to take the seat/gastank off, to get to the carb and put the new cables on. Has anyone done this before that can give me a few simple tips or heads up to look for?

Thanx!
Jayson

wscotthougland
04-09-2002, 06:49 AM
It isn't hard to do. You do have to take off the gas tank/seat off. On my 400 ex it recommended removing all the paint off the bar end so the throttle will move easier. I also use graphite on all the parts for a little extra lubrication.

04-09-2002, 09:04 AM
My buddy just put one on his EX and being not used to it and all he was idling up to his trailer, went to pull the front brakes on, hit the gas, freaked out, dump the clutch and PILED into his trailer, it was some funny stuff....

Moral of story, my friend is an idiot...

nakomis0
04-09-2002, 09:57 AM
Lol Darvy,

I had a twist throttle on my 400ex, (it came with my 39 fcr).

I also was pulling into my barn, went to pull the front brakes on, hit the gas, freaked out, dump the clutch and PILED into my barn. Moral of the story I'm an idiot too, heh.

They are pretty hard to use on quads, I took mine off ASAP. There nice for dirtbikes, but ALOT harder to use on quads.

Racing Rice
04-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Its not to hard to install.. Just make sure you have the throttle adjust correctly when you are finished.. And use caution for a little while until you get use to it, IMO throttle is a little harder to ride especially at first because its so much touchier the the thumb throttle is... Take extra care when you jump too, this can really mess you up.:o

04-09-2002, 01:15 PM
I just ordered a Motion Pro kit for mine. My buddy has one on his and yes they are a lot trickier to ride with. The one thing that you have to remember is that you don't have that right handle to grab onto and pull with anymore. You do and you give it more throttle. Once you get the hang of it though they are better, they respond better, and your thumb/arm doesn't get as tired.

04-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Imagine the stories you just told but imagine you were climbing up a really steep hill and did the same and dumped the clutch.

ouch

Racing Rice
04-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DOD Racing
Imagine the stories you just told but imagine you were climbing up a really steep hill and did the same and dumped the clutch.

ouch

:D Thats about what I felt like after I wrecked my Blaster that had a twist throttle..

It already had a twist throttle when I got it, shortly after I got it I fipped it, and bent the handle bars. We straightened the handle bars back up. I fired it up, put it in first, slowly let off the clutch and gave it some gas, to my dismay the throttle stuck wide open, it stood straight up I fell off the back it took off across the field and hit a tree...

Moral of the story... Be safe and get a Kill switch, especially if you not that great of a rider like I was at the time...;) Cause you never know what could happen.

04-09-2002, 01:55 PM
I like my twist throttle. that's just me though. my father and most of my friends prefer the thumb. takes a little to get used to, mostly the wheelies and standing up.
installing it was a sinch. take off seat, side covers, tank, and I forget about the front plastic, but that might have to come off to. take off the black cover on the side of the carb, and take off the "bell" of the cable. take off the thumb-throttle assembly, and install the new one, re-routing the cable the same way it was before. and sand the paint off the bars. a little adjustment and you'll be cranking the throttle like a dirt bike.

I love it!

optikid123
04-09-2002, 03:25 PM
i used to hate twist throttles cause when my sister got her bike i would screw up so bad one time i went to hit the front brakes and flew down the driveway and wiped in the street and another time i tried wheelhiein into my shed went to hit the brakes and PILED into the back of my shed the first time i ever rode a dirtbike it was like an xr50 i was 10 i hit the gas and flipped right over

moral of many stories, i am an idiot

Jay300ex
04-09-2002, 03:25 PM
They are pretty hard to use on quads, I took mine off ASAP. There nice for dirtbikes, but ALOT harder to use on quads. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yea I imagine that they might be harder when you are countering weight and have to keep your hand all the way on the bar, but since I rode the dirtbike for years before the quad I feel more comfortable with my thumb under the bar. hehe.

Jayson

dads400ex
04-09-2002, 03:39 PM
I just put a twist on my quad and am really happy with it, althougth I have had twists on the other atv's I have owned and also ride a street bike so it was easy for me to get used to it and like others have said take your time and be careful at first until you get used to it. Also don't forget to use some sort of lubrication on the bar under the twist either graphite or grease which is what I used.

dads400ex

R-Crazy
04-13-2002, 09:40 PM
i love mine. prefer it over thumb. I put mine on about a week after i got my first bike and wasn't used to any of it yet, so it just went along with it.
Tis site must be the home of idiots or something, geez.

dave

sabertooth
04-16-2002, 01:03 AM
They are definately different on quads than from dirt bikes. I have a Motion Pro on mine and it took some getting used to. Now I am used to it and I wouldn't go back, ever. The throttle response is faster. Better yet, my quad is kept in a shop with some frinds quads and the throttle keeps them off mine!

PsychoDave
04-16-2002, 09:32 AM
i love twists...but it was too hard for me to get use to while on a quad..... so i went back to a thumb

04-17-2002, 09:48 PM
I just installed my motion pro 2 days ago and it is hard to get used to but i have no more thumb cramps and in the winter your thunmb will stay warm. When you get good with it you do have more control on the track no slipping off the thumb thrott. I havent really used it on the trck or in the trails but so far i love it. wheeling is alot diferent no wonder is is so hard to ride a wheelie on a dirtbik

Just my 2 sence

BigBore440

crashinmatt
04-18-2002, 06:05 AM
also, one of the benefits of a twist throttle is, when u turn u dont have to readjust ur hand and grab the thumb throttle with ur fingers. thats y i switched to the twist. it tok a little getting used to but i feel im a faster rider with it.