PDA

View Full Version : 440 EX Dyno Results

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 09:01 AM
I was down in Sand Mountain Nevada and saw the Rocket Factory Airstream portable dyno and had my 440 tested.

Currrent Configuration:

1) ODP 440 bore with 13:1 Piston
2) ODP Ported headwork
3) Web Shortened Valve Guides
4) Web 479 Grind Cam
5) Web Hardweld Rocker Arms
6) Web Performance Valve Springs
7) LTE Dual Exhaust with Airbox / K&N Filter
8) Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor

Max Horsepower was 39.5 hp at 7250 RPM
MaX Torque was 32 ft-lbs at 7250 RPM

Altitude Tested at: About 5000 feet

Juggalo
09-11-2004, 10:04 AM
no offense but i was expecting a lot higher numbers than that. thats a pretty mean setup ya got there i would think you'd get a little more power. oh well tho its a lot more powerful than my quad and i think its real cool that you got her dynoed!

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Juggalo

No offense taken. There was a 483 that dynoed at 49 hp. I think you have to consider other 4 strokes and other comparitive numbers before making a judgement. The DS 650 stock dynos at 36 HP, and the stock Raptor even less than that. When considering dyno numbers, you should have comparitive numbers before thinking the results are high or low; which is the point (and the hidden challenge) of this post.

I have a JPG of the dyno results if challenged. Does anybody else have better results from thier 440EX at this altitude?

Marky

mikeminyard
09-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Was that dyno not corrected for elevation? If it wasn't, I would say that that is pretty dang good.

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I dont believe there was any correction for altitude. Personally, I dont like to play with funny numbers, just the honest results for an honest judgement.

nakomis0
09-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Dynos are different whats 40hp on one could be 43 hp on another.

Did that dyno have a sniffer to test the fuel/air ratio. This would see if your jetting was correct.

A dyno can almost always find atleast another hp or 2. Hell it found 3hp on my motor.

I wish I knwe what a DS or Raptor ran on oyur local dyno.

All I know is a stcok YFz450 pulled a 41hp. The to buddies both highly moddified there quads.. one was a Yfz450 and the other a 450R.. they both pulled 49hp. Mine pulled a lil ol' 43hp.

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 10:57 AM
There was no sniffer on that dyno (I have not seen a sniffer on a mobile dyno yet), but we did test twice to adjust the jetting until we found the best overall results. We settled on 4 clicks leaner from the zero altitude setting on the Edlebrock carb.

The first results were:

39.7 hp @ 7500 rpm
31.3 ft-lbs

The second results were:

39.5 hp @ 7500 rpm
32 ft-lbs

We did loose .2 hp after some minor rejetting (1 click leaner) from the first to the second test, but we gained much more torque, which was more important for Sand Mountain.

The max hp gain over thier 400ex baseline was approx 18hp at 9000 rpm & 7500 rpm.

Big - D Racing
09-11-2004, 11:32 AM
mine was dynoed a while ago when it had a 11:1 wiseco 89mm, which I was told is really like 10:1, with a mild port and polish and a web 450/451 cam with the regular edelbrok card and it pulled 37.7 hp, however I think I lost my dyno paper although I did post a copy of it on here a while ago.
now i have a duncan custom piston; 12.5:1 je 89.25mm agressive port and polish done by Duncan Racing web 463/9i race cam, eichner 440 carb and am yet to get it dynoed, but than again I just finished rebuilding it a few weeks ago.

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Big - D Racing

Your mods are similar. However, I have the stock valves with the stock angles. I was going to a 3 angle valve job when I go to 1mm over size along with the 465 stroker this winter.

I am open to anyone dynoing together in Salem Oregon at DTR - let me know if you are interested.

Here is my dyno sheet ...

http://www.on-dunes.com/forums/fileattachments/DSCN09111.jpg

Big - D Racing
09-11-2004, 11:52 AM
I forgot to mention I also have +1mm black diamond intake and exhaust valves with multiple angle valve job. So hopefully I'll be pushing the low 40's. Hopefully

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
I forgot to mention I also have +1mm black diamond intake and exhaust valves with multiple angle valve job. So hopefully I'll be pushing the low 40's. Hopefully

Big - D Racing, that would be good!

I find it interesting that there is so much hype about the new 450's out there. There are guys are dropping up to 7K for a brand new machine - some of them, selling thier pristine 400EX's out there for less than $2500 to get a new 450R or YFZ450. That means a huge number of cheap 400EX's out there that are just waiting for some mods to bring them up close to the stock 450R power. Time and time again I have young guys (15-18 years old) ride my 440 and race stock 450Rs, Raptors and even YFZs and come out on top. And all people have to do is get the right 440kit (like yours and mine) and they will win for much much less. The retail value of the parts listed on my quad are as follows ....

13:1 440 Kit - Approx $320 (piston, sleeve and rings)
Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor - Approx $475
Web Cam - Approx $160
Web Hardweld Rocker Arms - Approx $250
Web Valve Springs - Approx $85
Web shortened valve guides - Approx $50
LTE Dual Stainless Steel Exhaust - Approx $685.00

Total Parts $2025

Add some labor for head porting and they've got a performance quad that runs with the best of them for about $2500 less than a new YFZ. Its a good way to piss of the rich folks! And when they beat the 440EX (by dropping up to 3K for a big bore), simply add another $600 for a stroker crank and they've got a 465 with approx 46-48 hp! The 400EX is light and nible, a great platform for a smaller rider. I think everyone will find more of these built 400EX's in the next year.

Marky

Big - D Racing
09-11-2004, 12:45 PM
That's true. I really like the new honda 450r and I almost bought it and then I thought he** I'll just drop a little more on mine and I can compete of course though the 450r owners can drop $ in theirs and kill mine. But for me it wasn't worth selling my 400ex that I already have a substatinal amount of $ in suspension alone. If my suspension could bolt up to a 450r with no problems I would of bought one, but I don't want to start from scratch again, don't have the time or money.

TheFontMaster
09-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
simply add another $600 for a stroker crank and they've got a 465 with approx 46-48 hp! The 400EX is light and nible, a great platform for a smaller rider. I think everyone will find more of these built 400EX's in the next year.

Marky

And when you get beat with the stroker motor add some nitris(sp).

chad400ex
09-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Marky...long time no talk. I thought for sure I saw your 440EX for sale at Action Motorsports in Oregon City. Guess I was wrong. It was built very similar (even had the custom seat cover and LTE exhaust). Anyway...I'm right there with what you guys are thinking. I was going to trade "up" for a new 450, but they really aren't that much better than my mildly built 10.8:1 piston and Hotcams 2 cam. For the money...it makes much more sense to "Mod what ya got" instead of trying to having the latest and not so greatest thing out there. Did a little "plugging" for ODP on kawieriders.com, I think I turned some V-force business in your direction.

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 01:31 PM
chad,

Good to see you posting. I tried to get on your forum and my ID was no longer valid.

Someone must be copying me! I did come close to selling the EX about 2 years ago. Then decided to mod it up - Now, its my favorite quad to ride. The poor DS has been sitting in the garage for nearly 4 months with very few rides. I'm looking at putting a turbo on her this year - maybe that will do the trick for me.

Later ...

chad400ex
09-11-2004, 01:35 PM
The forum crashed in July (while I was upgrading it) and all of the user ID's got lost. My backup from version 2.0.2 didn't jive with version 2.0.8. I tried for a week to get it back to normal, but no luck..... So, you'd just have to sign back up and things will be back to normal. The group is slowly building back up again, but it did help "cleanse" the boards of those who signed up and never posted anything.

mikeminyard
09-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Markynark, I see you live near me. I live in Milwaukie/Clackamas. Where did you have that dynoed at that was nearly 5000ft? Mt. Hood, Adams, or Raineer? Just curious.

chad400ex
09-11-2004, 02:01 PM
mikeminyard: I'm in Clackamas too. Marky was in Sand Mtn. Nevada....just a "short" drive from our area....

mikeminyard
09-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Stupid me. :mad: Thanks for pointing out the obvious Chad, I guess I should open my eyes next time. I live by bilquist elementary school, off of webster road. What about you?

400-416EX
09-11-2004, 03:00 PM
I have friends that have the yfz's and I have a built 416. They are always telling me sell the 416 and get a 450. I am with all of you. I already have the mx set up I want, still need a few add ons. But for what I have into this bike now, why would I want to buy a new bike fro 6500, then spend another 2 or 3 grand for the a-arms, axel shocks ect, ect. For what a little more power. I will keep the 416, finish building it then I should be ok. I can keep up with them on the holeshots.

MarkyNark
09-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by mikeminyard
Markynark, I see you live near me. I live in Milwaukie/Clackamas. Where did you have that dynoed at that was nearly 5000ft? Mt. Hood, Adams, or Raineer? Just curious.

Like Chad said, I was visiting Sand Moutian NV. I actually now live in Albany Oregon. It was a ten hour drive to Sand Mountain - I was there for the Holiday Weekend and also to attend DS Days there.

Chad, sometime we'll have to get together and ride - its been a while. Thanks for the heads up on your forum.

Marky

chad400ex
09-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Like Chad said, I was visiting Sand Moutian NV. I actually now live in Albany Oregon. It was a ten hour drive to Sand Mountain - I was there for the Holiday Weekend and also to attend DS Days there.

Chad, sometime we'll have to get together and ride - its been a while. Thanks for the heads up on your forum.

Marky

Sounds good!!! Heading to sand lake with a big group this next weekend. Some from nwquadriders, and some from another washington club. Not sure which day...just watching the weather to see...

Ex_Rider43
09-11-2004, 10:37 PM
guys I had my 400 rebuilt last winter and i did some dyno testing too.

stock 400 was 23 and with a 406 piston (wiseco 11:1), tc cam, springs, dmc alien full exhaust, openbox with KN I was at 31.3 hp.

i changed the cam for a splash and dirt unit with their rockers and got 34hp but a bit less torque.

I think its really good i eat lots of 450r and yfzs on holeshots and i would really like to try a new carb on my bike.

K_Fulk
09-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I was down in Sand Mountain Nevada and saw the Rocket Factory Airstream portable dyno and had my 440 tested.

Currrent Configuration:

1) ODP 440 bore with 13:1 Piston
2) ODP Ported headwork
3) Web Shortened Valve Guides
4) Web 479 Grind Cam
5) Web Hardweld Rocker Arms
6) Web Performance Valve Springs
7) LTE Dual Exhaust with Airbox / K&N Filter
8) Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor

Max Horsepower was 39.5 hp at 7250 RPM
MaX Torque was 32 ft-lbs at 7250 RPM

Altitude Tested at: About 5000 feet

Sounds about right mines setup with a 13:1 426, a tc cam, tc head, sparks pipe , and fcr carb. And i come away with almost 43.

I think if you had it done here you would probly be looking at mid to low 40's.

MarkyNark
09-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Thats pretty good. I know if I got bigger valves I could pump out a bit more. Plus, the 5000ft altitude didn't help. I may go ahead and get her dynoed here locally and see the difference.

Thanks for the post!

Marky

K_Fulk
09-13-2004, 10:02 PM
The bigger valves would help me out too.
But look at your torque numbers there already the same as mine at 5000 ft..

I was having some clutch slip issues when i had it done. I dont know if it translated into the results though. It would be kinda hard to tell unless i had it done again.

Tc426's motor is almost identical to mine and his put out 48.
But then again he had his done on a diffrent dyno too. Its just hard to compare unless you dyno them all at about the same time on the same dyno.

MarkyNark
09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
I know what you are talking about regarding clutch slipping. I ended up getting a new Hinson Basket and race clutch plates as well as a quick change side case - it wasnt cheap - but no more slipping.