PDA

View Full Version : ACL fixed

redrunner
09-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Well here she is, my new friend for 6 weeks. This is what you get when you ride stupid!

Guy400
09-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Have fun. I had 1/3 of my lateral meniscus in my right knee removed in high school. You take your legs for granted until you can't use them so well. From someone who's been there--do the rehabilitation exercises they tell you to do. It really helps increase your mobility.

redrunner
09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Yup I will definetely do the PT they prescribe faithfully, 3 to 4 months.
I had the arthroscopic surgery about 1 1/2 months ago to clean up the cartilidge first. Doc says that it helps with this rehab and flexabilty in the long run.
Overall not much pain right now but this crutch crap sucks big time!:grr:

Dan_Guetter
09-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I tore the same thing....not fun!

If you have any questions about it....ask away, im the ACL guru

YZ400EX
09-11-2004, 12:53 AM
I have torn ACL in both knees..did 1 in a bicycle accident and other snowboarding..Man havent felt pain like that in my life..

batgeek
09-11-2004, 02:14 AM
check into your company's medical benefits.

i tore the MCL in my left knee in 95 snowboarding. with proof of my injury and rehabilitation, i was able to get knee braces of my choice via my company.

i love my Asterisk knee brace! :)
i also have an EVS SX02 for when i don't need an *** ton of support and protection.

YZ400EX
09-11-2004, 02:27 AM
I wish I could get knee braces..That would be awesome..I am too poor to afford them and the company I work for sucks so no help from them..maybe I will check ebay for one..hahaha.

UglyMotha™
09-11-2004, 11:12 AM
good deal dude, where's the meat pics, so you should be ready to hit silverlake with up in a couple weeks right, i'm goin with my air cast, i need sombody else there i can gimp with :blah:

Quad18star
09-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Have fun. I had 1/3 of my lateral meniscus in my right knee removed in high school. You take your legs for granted until you can't use them so well. From someone who's been there--do the rehabilitation exercises they tell you to do. It really helps increase your mobility. I understand you on taking your legs for granted until you can't use them so well anymore . I'm not able to walk on my right leg for the next year and a half at the least . You sure appreciate being able to use BOTH legs to walk .... not one leg and 2 crutches !!!

redrunner
09-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
check into your company's medical benefits.

i tore the MCL in my left knee in 95 snowboarding. with proof of my injury and rehabilitation, i was able to get knee braces of my choice via my company.

i love my Asterisk knee brace! :)
i also have an EVS SX02 for when i don't need an *** ton of support and protection.

As of right now the Doc says I get a custom made carbon fiber set up, I will ask abot the on of my choice also. I have seen the asterisk ones they look awsome for protection.:macho

redrunner
09-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I understand you on taking your legs for granted until you can't use them so well anymore . I'm not able to walk on my right leg for the next year and a half at the least . You sure appreciate being able to use BOTH legs to walk .... not one leg and 2 crutches !!!

Yeah I read and posted on your accident thread, you got whacked good dude! It sucks just to take a shower, get a hot cup of coffee or a glass of pepsi!
They got you laid up for 1 1/2 years! Yikes! Well I guess we just keep looking forward.;)

redrunner
09-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
good deal dude, where's the meat pics, so you should be ready to hit silverlake with up in a couple weeks right, i'm goin with my air cast, i need sombody else there i can gimp with :blah:

Not sure but I would like to go just to see the place, did you guy's decide on hotels or camping. Camping might suck pretty much.

No meat pics but this one 2 days after.

redrunner
09-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 440EXGUY
I have torn ACL in both knees..did 1 in a bicycle accident and other snowboarding..Man havent felt pain like that in my life..

Yeah when this thing bent backwards I had chills from the pain shot!

Hey Shift what type of repair did you have done? I had the one with use of harvesting hamstrings and inserting them through a couple of holes, screwing and stapling them in place.

Quad18star
09-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Yeah I read and posted on your accident thread, you got whacked good dude! It sucks just to take a shower, get a hot cup of coffee or a glass of pepsi!
They got you laid up for 1 1/2 years! Yikes! Well I guess we just keep looking forward.;) Yah ... it sucks to have to be dependent upon someone to always carry my drink or food to me and stuff . Sad part is , I can't even take a shower . I wash up in the sink with a face cloth and soap and wash my hair in the sink because I can't get this cast the least bit wet because everything is still trying to heal on the inside . Takes me a good 45 minutes just to wash up in the mornings . :grr:

redrunner
09-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Yah ... it sucks to have to be dependent upon someone to always carry my drink or food to me and stuff . Sad part is , I can't even take a shower . I wash up in the sink with a face cloth and soap and wash my hair in the sink because I can't get this cast the least bit wet because everything is still trying to heal on the inside . Takes me a good 45 minutes just to wash up in the mornings . :grr:

Well I can at least plastic bag/ duct tape the thing for now. But I get the dressings changed Tuesday so maybe I can do a better clean up then.

redrunner
10-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Well went to the Doc today for my 6 week surgery check up and... I can get rid of the Crutches!!! Wow was that what seemed like forever. He said I can start walking carefully, use the brace if I do not feel secure and then therapy is 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Felt so happy I went out and cut the front yard.
It was such a pain just to get a hot cup of coffee and sit on the couch and all the little things we take for granted were intensified ten fold.
Ahh well let the healing continue and can't wait to hit it again!!!

I-7
10-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Good to hear that everything is better! I had knee surgery a couple of weeks ago and this is my fourth week with my knee brace. I've been on crutches for three weeks and I'm just started to walk on it now but I still cant bend my knee. Im going for therapy this monday :o ..

10-19-2004, 07:47 PM
I had a cadaver ACL placed in my knee. I don't know how old you are, but it was 3 years ago for me and I am just now starting to run and be fully active like I was before. I did, however go riding within the first 60 days after surgery.

Quad18star
10-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Here is my new friend for the next few months , or atleas until I have more surgery . I still can't put pressure on my leg , so I'm still on crutches . I'm getting better on them though ... I can now crutch around the mall for an hour or so ... as long as I have a bottle of water around . Still no word as to further surgery dates ..... still waiting on the gash to heal up ( 2 1/2 months and it's still bleeding and stuff) . It's gunna be one LONG winter . I get so bored that I eat .... I'm gunna be about 300 lbs by next spring .

Here's the air cast ..... atleast I can now shower , and start excercising my knee and ankle . The knee isn't too sore anymore and I got good flexibility , but the ankle is still stiff as hell even after 3 weeks of wokring it .

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid142/pa6cfbd12d57b25db75981cf37a5b07a2/f6bdb62c.jpg

WhiteBrosKB220
10-19-2004, 08:11 PM
sorry to hear man. just stick it out. my father had a similar injury

redrunner
10-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by golfman400ex
I had a cadaver ACL placed in my knee. I don't know how old you are, but it was 3 years ago for me and I am just now starting to run and be fully active like I was before. I did, however go riding within the first 60 days after surgery.

Old and decrepit I am! Naww a young 46.

The operation i had is very similar to the "tommy John" surgery that they do for elbows. they harvest 2 of your 4 hamstrings from your leg (four per side), drill a hole through the upper portion of the shin/femur up into the back of the thigh bone/joint area. push the bundled ham string through the hole, set screw it and then pull it through the front hole and staple it to the shin bone, simple! 90 minute operation. All i have is a 2" insecion with no stiches on my shin.

Quadstar, looks and sounds like your doing great.

I-7, yup it was 3 weeks before he let me start applying pressure, same leg too. I also went for a short ride as soon as I could shift and sit on the quad:eek:

300exOH
10-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Hey good to hear you're getting back on your own 2 feet again. :cool:

redrunner
12-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Haven't brought this up for a while but almost ready to go. I am at about 75% strength and will be tested in 2 weeks for a full release and fitting of a brace for sports.
I will say that this has been an experience and met a few good people along the way here and at the therapy center. Kudos to my Doc for the great work and the recovery basically has been painless. Along with that I am in better shape then I have been in years!
There is light at the end of the tunnel folks so always and I mean always get 2 opinions before surgery.
Now I have to learn how to ride this new faster, bigger Z!!:eek2: :D

Quad18star
12-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Good to hear you're doing better . Im finally able to put pressure on my leg also ... almost full body weight . I go in for surgery in January to remove the screws in my ankle and to have a piece of bone shaved down .

Florida400EX
12-30-2004, 07:43 AM
you guys need to check into the waterproof casts, they just recently came out, they are a tad bit more money, but well worth it, I have a broken scaphoid bone, and most of the bones running across my wrist joint are severly brusied or broken, but with this cast i can still ride!! I'll get pics up soon of it :D

TC426EX
12-30-2004, 08:04 AM
I know what you mean man, and I feel your pain!!!!! I had a severe knee injury and had open knee surgery from an MX accident.

I severed 88% of my quad tendon, cracked my kneecap, tore ALL those ligaments, (mcl, acl, ect...), ruptured my bursa sack and on and on...

My leg was in an immobilizer for a little longer than what they told you and I spent 4 days in the hospital... after about a week, that immobilizer will start to make your leg itch like a *%^&$# because all your hair will start dying and the skin will get chafed. WHen youre done, your leg will be 5x smaller than the other one and then the fun really starts once you begin physical therapy!!! I am convinced that you have to be a sadist to be a physical therapist!! I dont know whats worse, the surgery I went through or the therapy, but both were friggin terrible!! Anyway, hope everything goes alright for you and nurse those knees man! Oh yeah, and I had arthroscopic on my other knee, so I know whats up with your situation bro!

goochy
12-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Just ripped out my ACL, tore MCL,tore my Meniscus, chipped a bone riding my z 400 on Thanksgiving day. I had three weeks of rehab before they cut on me. Now its a week and two days out of surgory. WOW thats the most pain I ( 34 yrs old ) have ever felt. It hurt so bad the 2 nd day, just now getting alittle better. In rehab now, and out of work for atleast 3 months or more, and can not ride quad/bike for 7 months. Thinking of selling out for good, 3 months with no pay HURTS !!!! plus I'm 34 so it hurts alot !! I drive for UPS for 15 yrs and I can not afford to loose my job. I boat all summer and ride quads and my CR 250 from Oct - april. I guess if I keep riding quads/bikes I will have to SLOW down and respect my toys, because it hurts sitting on the couch for 3 months. I have a old 95 jeep wrangler thats my toy/hobby/daily driver so I might start trail riding in it. it has a ROLL CAGE !!!!! so maybe I will not hurt myself. I drive it to work to keep the miles off my tow truck ( 2003 4X4 FX 4 PSD F 250 ) so I could haul the Jeep to the trails. If I sell out thats ok, I might buy quad/bike again ( like in 8 months ) , if not I'll just trail ride the Jeep its got HEAT :D !!!! I have rode quads/bikes all my life, so I love the sport ! I just hate getting hurt, last year broke BOTH wrist riding the Cr 250 missed 7 weeks of work.

300exOH
12-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you'll be ready for that Z by spring. Just be careful and don't injure anything again like I did. I'm still paying for it.:ermm: Good luck to ya bro:devil:

goochy
12-30-2004, 11:54 AM
but thats the problem, spring is when I go boating, so the Z will sit up until late Oct.

redrunner
12-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Sounds like you'll be ready for that Z by spring. Just be careful and don't injure anything again like I did. I'm still paying for it.:ermm: Good luck to ya bro:devil:

Well I plan on getting a set of Asterik knee braces before spring, $550 and getting the feel for this quad first.
Working on suspension to drop it down, either a stock shock rebuild from C&D or elka's and a GT link set up $$$$, +2's out front, T9's 4+1's and some Burgard beads in the rear. 22's in the back w/13t front sprocket, HMF and jet it and should be just where I want it. will try to hook up b4 the next wreck!!!!:eek2: :D

schootar
12-30-2004, 01:59 PM
I feel all your guys' pain. About 6 years ago I got a compound fracture of my tibula and fibula on my left leg in a on the job accident. I was laid up in a full leg cast for 3 months, a half leg cast for 6 months, and the walking cast (robo boot, like quad18star's) for another 6 months. Then after all that, we found that a tendon in my ankle needed to be relocated, so another 6 months in a cast and walking cast.

About this time last year I severed my achillies tendon on the same left leg in a MX accident. Back on the crutches again with a walking cast for 5 months. My leg is just now starting to get back to the way it was. Friggen leg is bad luck.

Good luck on the recovery to you all.

redrunner
12-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by goochy
Just ripped out my ACL, tore MCL,tore my Meniscus, chipped a bone riding my z 400 on Thanksgiving day. I had three weeks of rehab before they cut on me. Now its a week and two days out of surgory. WOW thats the most pain I ( 34 yrs old ) have ever felt. It hurt so bad the 2 nd day, just now getting alittle better. In rehab now, and out of work for atleast 3 months or more, and can not ride quad/bike for 7 months. Thinking of selling out for good, 3 months with no pay HURTS !!!! plus I'm 34 so it hurts alot !! I drive for UPS for 15 yrs and I can not afford to loose my job. I boat all summer and ride quads and my CR 250 from Oct - april. I guess if I keep riding quads/bikes I will have to SLOW down and respect my toys, because it hurts sitting on the couch for 3 months. I have a old 95 jeep wrangler thats my toy/hobby/daily driver so I might start trail riding in it. it has a ROLL CAGE !!!!! so maybe I will not hurt myself. I drive it to work to keep the miles off my tow truck ( 2003 4X4 FX 4 PSD F 250 ) so I could haul the Jeep to the trails. If I sell out thats ok, I might buy quad/bike again ( like in 8 months ) , if not I'll just trail ride the Jeep its got HEAT :D !!!! I have rode quads/bikes all my life, so I love the sport ! I just hate getting hurt, last year broke BOTH wrist riding the Cr 250 missed 7 weeks of work.

I here ya too! I am 46 but my surgery was awsome absolutely no pain that i couldn't handle. You had it bad man, just stick to the P.T.
Good luck

Florida400EX
12-30-2004, 02:07 PM
my knees/ legs have never had a single injury, would me wearing a good set of knee braces prevent any future injury that could happen? I'd think it would be imposible to tear my ACL or MCL or whatever with a good knee brace on, considering they only dont allow your leg to hyperextend or something like that to wear the tendons or muscles will stretch.

LTandRaptorider
12-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Glen, glad to hear your recovery is going well and almost over! I'll have to come out next summer to see how your Z400 does with my LT :D

Take care, bud. ;)

redrunner
12-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Hey Glen, glad to hear your recovery is going well and almost over! I'll have to come out next summer to see how your Z400 does with my LT :D

Take care, bud. ;)

Heck yeah Bart, we do plenty of rides in western PA. Where you gonna be hangin' by then. If not let's hook up for a H/M run.

Florida400EX my knees/ legs have never had a single injury, would me wearing a good set of knee braces prevent any future injury that could happen? I'd think it would be imposible to tear my ACL or MCL or whatever with a good knee brace on, considering they only dont allow your leg to hyperextend or something like that to wear the tendons or muscles will stretch.

Well I am not sure if it will totally protect you from it but I am gonna use em' anyway. If I had them on not sure if I wouldn't have broke an ankle instead. Oh , I posted on the Nemisis body armor stuff, think I am getting that too!