PDA

View Full Version : yamalube 20w-40

thame2010
09-10-2004, 05:55 PM
hi, I just bought some yamalube 4-s Semi synth 20w-40 oil for my 400ex..
I suppose it's good, but it has this friction modifiers i don't know what that is but some say that it makes your clutch slip..
am i right?
is this a good oil?

09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
i wouldnt use anything made by yamaha

bigbadktm
09-11-2004, 04:33 PM
ok not everything yamaha makes sucks. some say that they do make some of the best oils on the markets, but not in a wet clutch setup.

the friction modifiers will make the clutch slip, which can heat up fast, and make you clutch history. so, i would suggest gettin rid of that stuff fast and find another oil, possibly honda oil. try to stay away from synthetic oil for your bike. team Alba says to use regular motorcycle grade oil like honda recommends.

thame2010
09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
ok, so no synthetics and friction modifiers, but single or multi-grade oil??

bigbadktm
09-12-2004, 09:03 PM
pick up some honda or the like 10w40 or 20w50...single weight is more for the 2 strokes. but no friction modifiers, and make sure it is motorcycle grade oil. regular motor oil isnt enough for the wet clutch setup.

thame2010
09-12-2004, 09:08 PM
liqui moly racing 4t 20w-50?? will that be ok?
thanks a lot..

bigbadktm
09-12-2004, 09:16 PM
ive never heard of that brand personally, but it sounds like it is formulated for this kinda use. as long as its non-synthetic and moto based 4 stroke, i'm sure that stuff will do fine. dont forget to change your filter too, and if you haent done it, th oil screen in the bottom of the oil tank. the screen only needs to be cleaned about once a year. filter and oil every 3-4 good rides.

bigbadktm
09-12-2004, 09:20 PM
where do you buy that oil at?

thame2010
09-12-2004, 09:48 PM
at my local dealer, it is very wierd that you have never heard of it, here it's a very prestigious brand, it is european oil, german to be exact. Check this out: Liqui-Moly.de (http://www.liqui-moly.de) .. I'm sure it is EXCELLENT oil.
I've never cleaned the oil screen in the bottom of the tank :eek2: s**t! ..but I'll try to :S

thanks a lot bigbadktm :D

thame2010
09-13-2004, 11:19 AM
do you know why did I buy this semi-synthetic oil? because I read on douggust.com that semi-synthetic oil was THE oil to use on a 400EX, not fully but semi synthetic oil...
Are you sure that semi synthetic oil will destroy my clutch?

bigbadktm
09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
im not sure if i would take the chance myself. im sure its not going to have immediate problems, but after prolonged riding, the clutches can slip enough to cause a lot of excess heat. doug gust knows a s#it load more than me, but he also has the money to rebuild when need be.

but for a recreational quad that isnt being raced hard all day long, i would stay with the standard oil without friction modifiers.

tried to check that site, but it came up in german.

if you need help about that screen or the filter what not, i have the owners manual, and the clymer, so feel free to ask. more than willing to help.