PDA

View Full Version : Buying used shocks? (400ex)

Jake250ex
09-10-2004, 07:23 AM
its obviously not as good as buying new, but a cheap alternative. I would pry go w/elka trp. rates.

Is it kinda missing the whole point of buying new aftermarket shocks? And will I notice a difference even?

I just dont want to blow my $ on something that wont even help me.

09-10-2004, 07:49 AM
they shoulkd be ok if oyour a weekend warrior depending on how close you get them valved for yourself..i wouldnt reccommend you go out & buy MX shocks for +1 aarms for a 220 lbs. guy when you ride trails b/c then your 4 wheeler will sit really high & it will feel like your on steel rods

remlapr
09-10-2004, 07:49 AM
If they are close to your weight and style of riding you can probably get away with it. You can also buy different main springs and change them yourself if they are close but not quite right. Even if you send them in for a service and revalve you can still save money over new if you get a decent deal on the shocks, but the best bet is try to find some that were setup close to your weight...

rollie
09-10-2004, 04:27 PM
haha i "got away with it" i bought 300exridas elkas...i love them there only 5 months old so there almost new....if you can find a nice set do it!!:)

Woodsrider
09-11-2004, 08:40 AM
You'll do fine if you shop wisely and buy a set that has been serviced and are set up for your weight range and type of riding.
I bought my elkas used of of a member on here and couldnt be happier with my purchase. Im headin out to the shop in a few minutes to pull mine apart and re-pc the springs.

Florida400EX
09-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
haha i "got away with it" i bought 300exridas elkas...i love them there only 5 months old so there almost new....if you can find a nice set do it!!:)

just because they are 5 months old doesnt meen anything, they can fade after a week depending on how much he rode them. For any used shock, you should send them out to get a service, then it will be like a brand new shock, at a used price. DFR charges $50 per shock.

rollie
09-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
just because they are 5 months old doesnt meen anything, they can fade after a week depending on how much he rode them. For any used shock, you should send them out to get a service, then it will be like a brand new shock, at a used price. DFR charges $50 per shock.

yeah i know but he said there where less than 10 rides on them two.....idk there fine for me:)

dynofox
09-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I bought a pair of used works shocks off e-bay set-up for a 180lbs rider for $250. I only weigh 150lbs but they work great, soakes up the small stuff without bottoming on the big hits. A lot better than those POS stockers! :rolleyes: