PDA

View Full Version : new sport quad quad coming in 2006???!!

QuadJunkies
09-09-2004, 10:15 PM
2006 Predator Venom 450

Surfing the web pays off Rumor has it Polaris has some "hopes and dreams" in the R&D department

NOne of this stuff is in stone but there is another thread at rath on this.....

JUSt thought u guys were interested

ENGINE --Liquid Cooled 450CC --Dual Overhead Camshafts W/ Variable Valve Timing -allows for oil pressure to change the timing at a given RPM --Eight Valve Head -allows the engine to breath like a v-twin(gut wrenching torque) -this would also explain the dual exhaust ports on the new test engine --Oval Piston Design W/ 2 Connecting Rods - having 2 connecting rods the engine is capable 18,000 +RPMS --Fuel Injecton -instantanious throttle response -polaris has perfected this in their utility line --Estimated 60HP Stock CHASIS --Reinforced Aluminum Chasis -aluminum chasis and shocks alow for a 340lb dry weight -the chasis will retain all of the original predator mounting points to retain -the same PRO stearing,a-arms,swingarm,and suspension components SUSPENSION --Fox Aluminun Piggyback Reservior Front Shocks -able to be rebuilt and tripple rated(curtousy or Rath Racing) to personal -riding style X-country, MX, TT, Desert -compression & rebound adjustable --Fox Aluminum Remote Reservoir Rear Shock -also rebuildable w/ compression and rebound adjustability

RETAIL PRICE: $7,899

:eek: :eek2: :devil:

Quad18star
09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Very interesting ..... Can't wait to hear more about it .

JUSTINcredible
09-09-2004, 10:42 PM
sounds like it could be a sweet quad, hopefully its true!

QuadJunkies
09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
MAybe it is. Maybe its not. But heck. It will be something good to dream about when I go to bed tonight!!!!!:blah:

QuadJunkies
09-09-2004, 11:32 PM
It just sank in..... capable of up to 18,000 RPMS???!!!:huh Is that REALLY possible???? :eek:

hondarider2006
09-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
2006 Predator Venom 450

RETAIL PRICE: $7,899

:eek: :eek2: :devil:

Fugg that:o

remlapr
09-10-2004, 04:13 AM
I bet like most things, the final product will have a couple of those things but not all. The aluminum frame and efi would be sweet enough. On the 18k rev, I know some street bike rev to around 14k stock, but they have four small light pistons, not one big thumper.

TGW_400ex
09-10-2004, 04:44 AM
I'd like to see that rev to 18 grand w/o blowing up:rolleyes:

Guy400
09-10-2004, 05:03 AM
Formula 1 V-10's rev into the low 19k's:eek2:

sharkinthepool
09-10-2004, 05:23 AM
I guess I need to see this performance. I have too many friends with Polari-crud disease. They bought it, thinking it was the next best thing and found out they should have purchased something else.

Very interesting though.

If they have a 450 that produces that kind of RPM and HP. Honda and Yamy had better get their engineers back to the drawing boards. (They are most likely already there).

Flynbryan19
09-10-2004, 05:49 AM
As with anything I think theres "some" truth in the fairy tale.... I believe there could be a 450. Its very realistic that it could be EFI, and I'll even take(w/a grain of salt) that the frame maybe an aluminum one. But I think they're are in la-la land when they think it will be a twin rod, 8 valve, oval piston design...... I saw the proto-type design for this motor in a dirt bike magazine a couple years ago, but I just don't think it will come to reality. And certainly not from Polaris.... :( I like them, and I think they've got a good thing going w/ the Pred, but I don't think they have the R&D ability to utilize that kind of motor. I would think they'd know not to end up like our fellow American company Cannondale.....

I believe the Venom "may" come, but I think it will not be quite as radical of a machine as the peps on Rath's website think. Thanks for the info though Tina. As you said, something to drool over. :blah: ;)

3rdtimescharm
09-10-2004, 06:40 AM
All I have to say is they better get some better test riders. after 6 months of rideing and racing mine, it was junk.

cody anderson
09-10-2004, 07:15 AM
No one look to me for answers... I know nothing.:confused:

Quad18star
09-10-2004, 08:20 AM
I think Polaris is capable of setting the bar high with a new engine . 18 000 RPM would be something radical and I think they can do it . Polaris has some of the most well built and developped snowmobile engines out there .Take that knowledge , bring it over to the ATV scene and they ya go . They can do it .

09-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by cody anderson

alright since you mentioned it we won't! I mean why would you know anything! jsut cus you kow that rath guy who seems to in pretty tight with polaris. and your from up in polaris country!

Ryan
09-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I think Polaris is capable of setting the bar high with a new engine . 18 000 RPM would be something radical and I think they can do it . Polaris has some of the most well built and developped snowmobile engines out there .Take that knowledge , bring it over to the ATV scene and they ya go . They can do it .

I think it they made that beast rev up to 18,000 rpm's , they would probably blow up extremely quick. This rumor probably is true, but I bet half of that stuff listed won't be included.

Polaris has never made any of there engines go up to 18,000 rpm. Why would they start with this on an atv :confused: .

Doibugu2
09-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Guy400

And are only used for 1 race:eek:

86atc250r
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Oh no... Not the oval piston rumor again.

Here's a little history lesson...

The oval piston, twin rod, 8 valve engine was developed back in the late 80's by the largest engine manufacturer in the world- none other than Honda.

The crotch rocket style bike it was installed in cost over $50,000 even back then and produced roughly 150hp out of 750cc. It was called an NR750.

From what I understand, Honda ended up buying back most of those bikes and there are only a few left out there today.

Rest assured that Honda has enough patents on that engine that if you were to even think about it, the corporate lawyers would have you so tied up in crap you'd never find your way out.

The next issue is that if Honda couldn't make this design work on a production/consumer level rest assured Polaris doesn't stand a proverbial snowball's chance.

Finally, one last thing to think about --- since when do quads get cutting edge engine designs? Does one really think that if someone were to introduce something like an oval piston engine, that the first place it would appear would be in a quad? Personally, I think not.

TheFontMaster
09-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by cody anderson

I can sense the sarcasm.

QuadJunkies
09-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Oh no... Not the oval piston rumor again.

Here's a little history lesson...

The oval piston, twin rod, 8 valve engine was developed back in the late 80's by the largest engine manufacturer in the world- none other than Honda.

The crotch rocket style bike it was installed in cost over $50,000 even back then and produced roughly 150hp out of 750cc. It was called an NR750.

From what I understand, Honda ended up buying back most of those bikes and there are only a few left out there today.

Rest assured that Honda has enough patents on that engine that if you were to even think about it, the corporate lawyers would have you so tied up in crap you'd never find your way out.

The next issue is that if Honda couldn't make this design work on a production/consumer level rest assured Polaris doesn't stand a proverbial snowball's chance.

Finally, one last thing to think about --- since when do quads get cutting edge engine designs? Does one really think that if someone were to introduce something like an oval piston engine, that the first place it would appear would be in a quad? Personally, I think not. Troy and I were just dicussing that..... Still, thought it would be intersting to get some feedback on the topic.....

86atc250r
09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
The oval piston engine is definitely an interesting topic - I'd like to see a lot more alternative engine and head designs make it further into the production & testing stages.

dsracer666
09-10-2004, 04:22 PM
even if it does rev to 18,000rpm the power would not come on till close to 10,000rpm! its not how high the motor revs its how long the motor make useful power.

the best mx motor would make max torque at idle and pull for atleast 8000rpm

thats what I want from a motor.

lol
09-10-2004, 05:41 PM
tht would be so siiiick!!!

ID-YFZracer-BE
09-10-2004, 06:54 PM
sounds cool

jokerman_28
09-10-2004, 09:46 PM
i dont believe any of it. but if ya wanna talk about new engine designs. how about a rotary engine in a quad? that'd be wild.

440exnacsracer
09-10-2004, 11:05 PM
i think polaris is really putting forth an effort, and many of these ideas i am positive are on the drawing board. 18k rpms is high, but when was the last time you looked at a r6's tach? hmmm 18k redline, granted, that is with 4 pistons, i wouldnt say it is out of reach. not positive, but im pretty sure the yzf 250s are capable of around 13k, and with 8 valves you would have the flow. the one thing i dont see is perfecting the oval piston and cylinder to hold up to such abuse as they would have to be sooo extremely perfect. an aluminum frame 450 regardless would be nice to see from polaris though. thanks for the info tina!!;)

acold7dusta
09-11-2004, 03:53 PM
when they getting building this 18,000 rpm quad let me know how long itll last with videos:rolleyes:

acold7dusta
09-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by jokerman_28
i dont believe any of it. but if ya wanna talk about new engine designs. how about a rotary engine in a quad? that'd be wild.

bombadier: the quest's and the DS650

NTPRacing#19
09-11-2004, 04:21 PM
i hope polaris knows that those rpms wont be possible with valve springs it will float the valves. i dunno if anyone has ever seen the valves on a Ducati motor but i believe its the 996 that has a valve lifter (not a spring) that runs off the cam. i believe if the CDI on the ducati would allow the motor to rev more i think there is no rev limit on a ducati with that design, so i wouldnt be suprised to see some Ducati engineering corperated into the venom motor if they want to acheive those RPMS.

im just guessing.

Ryan
09-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by acold7dusta

Are you sure they are rotary engines?

Tommy 17
09-11-2004, 05:49 PM
judging by what i've seen from polaris over the years they will find a way to screw it up... i would NEVER own one after the polaris's i know of... TOTAL JUNK!!!

i agree with ya gabe...

mikeboone
09-11-2004, 05:50 PM
He was thinking Rotax not rotary.

SRH
09-11-2004, 10:48 PM
polaris has all these high tech sounding ideas and they cob it up half assed and it breaks no one knows how to fix it and everything falls off, there cheap ....

acold7dusta
09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by mikeboone
He was thinking Rotax not rotary.

rotax...rotary...whats the difference??:confused:

Ryan
09-12-2004, 01:13 PM

Big difference.

lil400exman
09-12-2004, 03:45 PM

pay a visit to your friend google:

www.google.com

:o

rollie
09-12-2004, 06:51 PM
that'd be soo sweet id the venom came out......i hope it doesnt have the look of the pred500 plastics tho....sounds sweet tho......:cool:

440exnacsracer
09-15-2004, 10:22 PM
rotax is a motor manufactuar name, kindof like honda, yamaha,...they actually make the motor.....rotary motors are a somewhat new design that incorporates a triangular shaped "piston" that rotates in a cylinder.

Chef
09-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Guy400

The cart guys at Vegas said he couldnt say just exactly what RPM they go to, but its higher than 20...granted, that is a V8, not a 10.

Wasnt there an oval piston rumor about the EX a few years back?

It could rev to 18k. My CRF motor will pull 14k...atleast thats what the cam is rated to.

440exnacsracer
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
biggest difference in the motors blowing @ 18k rpms though is the motor is behind you in formula one, where if the motor blows on a quad, your gonna have a connecting rod somewhere you dont want it:eek2: :eek2:

LazeR
09-16-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
It just sank in..... capable of up to 18,000 RPMS???!!!:huh Is that REALLY possible???? :eek:

Yes it is, Formula 1 Cars i think it is, redline at like 19300, althought that is a car...but its a motor, so i would say a quad motor is capabale of it! Also they got street bikes with 15500rpm redline!

Rdhanded2
09-16-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
rotax is a motor manufactuar name, kindof like honda, yamaha,...they actually make the motor.....rotary motors are a somewhat new design that incorporates a triangular shaped "piston" that rotates in a cylinder.

The first rotary engine car was the 1967 Cosmo Sport, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "new" design. Just my $.02

86atc250r
09-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes it is, Formula 1 Cars i think it is, redline at like 19300, althought that is a car...but its a motor, so i would say a quad motor is capabale of it! Also they got street bikes with 15500rpm redline!

It's all about physics guys.

Just because one engine can spin almost 20K RPM it doesn't mean that any engine is capable of that.

Heck, it's not uncommon for an RC car engine to spin 30,000~40,000 RPM --- so does that mean they should be able to build a quad engine to do that? Short answer - No.

RPM limits are generally governed by piston speed - piston speed is a function of stroke length.

So, F1 engines are "larger" than quad engines - how does that F1 car spin 19KRPM? Same for many street bikes - How does that 600cc bike turn 15K? Answer - Multiple small cylinders with very short strokes.

So --- to have a 450 class quad that spins 15k-19k RPM and does so on a regular basis, you'd likely need 4 cylinders to get the stroke short enough to keep piston speed low enough for the engine to last any period of time.

Then a whole host of other problems crops up --- valve springs immediately come to mind (the RC car engines that spin 30,000RPM are 2 strokes - i.e. no valve train ---- F1 cars use pneumatic valve systems that are outrageously costly).

In short --- don't expect to see a quad that spins these types of RPM anytime soon.

MY450R
09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
i have to say that gabe is like the smartest person here

DEAL
09-16-2004, 10:00 AM

Since when do rotary engines have overhead cams, pistons and valves?

DEAL
09-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
judging by what i've seen from polaris over the years they will find a way to screw it up... i would NEVER own one after the polaris's i know of... TOTAL JUNK!!!

i agree with ya gabe...

Its taken polaris almost 20 years to finally build a quad that doesn't break as soon as it leaves the dealership parking lot.

440exnacsracer
09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
i really think it is ignorant though to not support an american/canadian based company who is extremely dedicated and always trying to improve. if you want to support the japanese economy, dont make the american companies suffer by talking badly:rolleyes: