PDA

View Full Version : 300ex shifting ?

atvrider
09-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Ive got a 96 300ex. Ive noticed that when I shift from first up to second, sometimes it goes into neutral. Is this normal? And also when I stop in first with the clutch in, sometimes its hard to get it into neutral. Like it will just go all the way up into second. Is this normal? I had a Blaster and it didnt do this.....:confused:

400exdad
09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Ours was doing the same thing. No matter how hard I tried to adjust it, it just wouldn't go into neutral that well. Our is a 96 too. Anyway, short story long, your steels in your clutch are probably warped like ours was. Since our fibers were good, I just replaced the steels. Now, I wish I had done everything. Another thing that could be happening is wearing on your clutch basket. Little notches are formed where the steels and fibers ride, which can make it act the way you are describing too. Make sure you are using the right viscosity of oil too.

frosti108
09-09-2004, 10:06 PM
yea ive been having a bit of high speed slipping, and also the shifting problems you have. i bought a barnett clutch kit and im in the middle of changing it although i havent been able to get the freakin nut loose inside the clutch for like a week...
you should swap out your fibers and steels, get some heady duty springs... and when you get them out, inspect the basket for notches like 400exdad described and if there is notches, thats part of your problem. so what i hear you can easily do is get a file and file them out and it works like brand new... if and when you swap your clutch, tell me how the hell you got the nut from inside the clutch out....

good luck,
ed

oops gotta fix my signature, its 293 cubic centimeters, not inches :eek2: LOL

tolson
09-11-2004, 05:29 AM
if you have one of those manuals, there is a make-shift tool that you can make. it holds the 4 bolts on the clutch basket and lets you turn the middle nut. i try to scan and post it.