PDA

View Full Version : who makes aftermarket frames for 400ex?

JDiablo
09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
just as it says,i checked out LRD i couldnt find any,laeger they don't make them anymore?does lonestar?

Dust_1503
09-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Lonestar does... check out there site later

JDiablo
09-09-2004, 02:47 PM
i already did....who elses makes them?does gibson?wat is ther website?

Dust_1503
09-09-2004, 03:30 PM
O i forgot to mention to check out Arens i'm almost positive they make one.

09-09-2004, 03:40 PM
by the time you pay all that money for an aftermarket frame on a 400ex you could have sold the 400ex & bought a 450

JDiablo
09-09-2004, 03:44 PM
o christ i don't want to hear this as i did with the 300,lol...and no im not buying a 450....im bulding a CRF 450 later

09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
o christ i don't want to hear this as i did with the 300,lol...and no im not buying a 450....im bulding a CRF 450 later ok...im gonna suggest you maybe think about buying a aftermarket crf450 frame...maybe thats just me though :rolleyes: and the next time you ask a question like that maybe you could give us all the info. some when someone says something you dont have to snap back with new info. & try to make them feel bad :rolleyes: :blah:

JDiablo
09-09-2004, 07:52 PM
ahh misunderstood again....if anything ill buy a aftermarket 400ex frame for the 400...for the CRF im buying the walsh frame

Florida400EX
09-11-2004, 01:51 PM
If you are already planning on building a walsh crf quad, then theres no point of having the 400ex, it's just a waste of time and money. Only thing you will have left that's 400ex is nuts and bolts, which you can buy a complete set off ebay for under $100. Plus I think walsh does 250R geometry, not 400ex. I think a temporary 400ex aftermarket frame would be a waste of money, they are like 2 grand. Good luck if you think you're cracking a 400ex frame that's gusseted, I've never heard of a cracked 400ex frame that has been gusseted, unless you ride it off a cliff.

JDiablo
09-11-2004, 02:11 PM
the thing is tho im not so sure on the CRF yet....after im done with the 400 ill see how things are cooking....most likely ill stick with just the 400,but we will see

mersingt
09-12-2004, 12:50 PM
when a man ask a question he dosnt want people to try to talk him out of doing it he just wants the answer not some crap about oh you could buy a 450r if he wanted one he would have it!

i dont care what you people say about 400exs im gonna own one when i move out and its gonna be pimp.....

Rebelrider4OOex
09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
300exrida whos 400 is that in the pick u posted its sweet

JDiablo
09-12-2004, 06:42 PM
idk,i was doing a search to see if anyone had any pix of houser +1 LT arms and elka quad rate shocks and found that pic and saved it,it was from like 02 i think,but that quad is sick

UglyMotha™
09-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
I've never heard of a cracked 400ex frame that has been gusseted, unless you ride it off a cliff.

you don't get out often, do ya :o

Cody_300ex
09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Good luck if you think you're cracking a 400ex frame that's gusseted, I've never heard of a cracked 400ex frame that has been gusseted, unless you ride it off a cliff.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122838 :o

muff
09-13-2004, 06:41 PM
the real only options you'd have would be to get a lonestar or arens frame. if it was up to me i would just get the stock frame converted, it'd be a lot easier and you'd have a lot greater of a chance of your 400ex stuff bolting up.

walsh does not build crf frames for the 400ex geometry, only the 250r. and even tho you would have the sickest setup if you went with his parts, practically nothing would work off the 400ex

JDiablo
09-13-2004, 08:18 PM
yea i figured that...idk time will come to where i have to decide,chit i may sell the 400,and not get another quad for a couple of years:o

jgray
09-14-2004, 02:22 PM
I am pretty sure that Herrmann Racing has a 400ex set-up. Check them out.. A great bunch of guys.. Brad nows his stuff !! http://www.herrmannracing.com/

EvilJester400EX
09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Viper makes 400ex based CRF frames.

pnut420
09-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I have a LSR frame but I think its gonna be a waste of your time getting an aftermarket. I know you are just keeping your options open. The only way I would do it is if you contact Arens and see if their frames accept both 400ex and crf450 mounts, or yz450. You can get a yz450 to perform just as well as the crf450

Tommy 17
09-16-2004, 01:01 PM
i wouldn't waste my time with arens if i were u... his service sucks...

took him 6 months to ship my a-arms... they got here and they fail apart bc he screwed them up... then its been over a month now and the parts are still in heat treat...:rolleyes:

not only that i've seen one of his frames in person and a few on here and not one of them lined up right... everyone had problems with something...

muff
09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
you get what you pay for!!!

Tommy 17
09-16-2004, 01:28 PM
muff that is true in most cases but not every...

laeger is the best on the market and hes in the 700 - 800$ range for reg ball joint long travel a-arms... his tpin is the best on the market but the price is insane...

JB racing is the same... very low price for the awesome product that u get...

and burgard is by far the best bang for the buck... u can beat him if ur a weekend warrior... i loved my burgard a-arms...

walsh is good but they cost way 2 much for what u get... not everyone can throw that kinda cash down...

muff
09-16-2004, 01:43 PM
yes, there are exceptions to the rule, and i do have to agree with laeger. i havent had any experiences with jb.

its hard to beat burgard when your comparing prices. however when comparing the best performance for a top of the line racer, its impossible to not go with the t-pin, walsh, roll, and others

i'm not saying you cant do good on a set of burgards, but if you have ridden the others and compared setups, you'll know what i mean.

i know this is getting off topic a little bit, but since we're discussing a-arm setups, i'd like to know why the LT burgards and lonestar dc4s, mainly for the yfz, have such a bend in them. many other manufacturers have designed yfz +2.5" or so a-arms that have ball joints that are fully workable with almost flat a-arms. The gibsons which have been around for a while with the gull-wing setup follow suit as well. They claim it increases ground clearance, which is true in some places during some parts of the suspension travel, doesnt seem that practical.

i'd just like to hear some other peoples inputs...

Tommy 17
09-16-2004, 02:24 PM
muff notice i said weekend warrior with burgard... 99.99% of the people that ride can't tell the differnce between a-arms... very few will actually benefit with a better a-arm... simple fact most of us just can't ride that good haha...

i bought arens for one reason... at the time john gave me the best service and i liked what he had to say about them... that changed REALLY fast thou...

i've rode other set ups (full protrax bikes and walshs) and yes they are better but not worth the money to me...

muff i dunno about the yfz a-arms... never looked into them enouf... i'll have to check it out...

muff
09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
ahh right.

i hear you about the arens tho, i've been readin your posts about em, sorry to see it go down like that.

heres a few pics of the lonestar and burgards:

lsr dc4:
http://yfzcentral.com/qotm/september_04/006_1.jpg

burgards:
http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/uploads/post-3-1093836329.jpg

housers: flat much like walshs and others
http://yfzcentral.com/qotm/july_04/images/3.jpg

JDiablo
09-16-2004, 02:52 PM
as of now,imma stick with a stock gussted powdercoated frame i think:)

Lethalhonda2
09-17-2004, 05:27 PM
imma stick with a stock gussted powdercoated frame
Probably the best idea. There is nothing wrong with the stock frame after some gusseting.Aftermarket frames are great as long as you have time and patience to spend tweeking it.I have a complete Aren's 400ex and if I need parts, I only have 1 person to get them from, which hasnt been the most enjoyable.With Honda heck your options for parts are almost endless. :D

infantry317
09-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Mike Krachan (sp?) sold a new 400ex aftermarket frame for $1000 about 4 months ago on here. He left racing and just had it sitting around.

Ex_Rider43
09-18-2004, 11:33 PM
yeah I dont know why these a-arms have such a bend ?? RP evolution's arms dont have any bend in them...:confused:

http://www.splashndirt.com/English/Products/rp_evolution_e.htm

Toadz400
09-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
yeah I dont know why these a-arms have such a bend ?? RP evolution's arms dont have any bend in them...:confused:

http://www.splashndirt.com/English/Products/rp_evolution_e.htm

The constant bend seen in the newer style of a-arms is so the stress is distributed evenly. All of the pressure is going to be directed towards the bend, so when they have the constant bend in the arm all the pressure is being applied evenly.

I don't know if I explained it right, but some websites will explain it.

RIDER11X
09-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Just curious.....Why the want for an aftermarket frame? OEM frames are only $5-600 new, compared to $2200 for aftermarket, and OEM holds up great as long as they aren't repeatedly bottomed out. ie:Good Shocks and you can buy almost 4 for the price of 1.:cool:

JDiablo
09-21-2004, 01:14 PM
actually the frames are a lil more i think,and aftermarket is alot stronger too

Tommy 17
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
rider 11x there was one major reason for a aftermarket frame that no longer exists today bc of the stupid arse rule of pro production that hurt us in so many ways but got us nothing...

i say this because the thing with aftermarket frames was that they corrected the geometry and added what need to be done to make the bike handle better... they added narrow frames, cr linkages, yz linkages, moved the motors, etc... this fixed the geometry problems from the factories...

now that they can't run aftermarket frames they don't do any reasearch on fixing this problems like they did with the 250rs and quads of the past... people bought the frames for one simple reason that they handle so much better then a stock frame its unbelievable... now we get what comes from the factory weither its correct or not...

basically all it did was screw over the people who got the sport where it is... the 250r didn't win for 15 years or what ever it was... the laeger protrax, walsh, etc won for 15 years... if u would go down to the pro pits from u didn't see one stock framed or geometry quad...once they put the 500 linkage and fixed the geometry thats when it all started... and we pushed all of those guys out now...

RIDER11X
09-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
rider 11x there was one major reason for a aftermarket frame that no longer exists today bc of the stupid arse rule of pro production that hurt us in so many ways but got us nothing...

i say this because the thing with aftermarket frames was that they corrected the geometry and added what need to be done to make the bike handle better... they added narrow frames, cr linkages, yz linkages, moved the motors, etc... this fixed the geometry problems from the factories...

now that they can't run aftermarket frames they don't do any reasearch on fixing this problems like they did with the 250rs and quads of the past... people bought the frames for one simple reason that they handle so much better then a stock frame its unbelievable... now we get what comes from the factory weither its correct or not...

basically all it did was screw over the people who got the sport where it is... the 250r didn't win for 15 years or what ever it was... the laeger protrax, walsh, etc won for 15 years... if u would go down to the pro pits from u didn't see one stock framed or geometry quad...once they put the 500 linkage and fixed the geometry thats when it all started... and we pushed all of those guys out now...

Good point.......I didn't look at it that way. :o I have been told that the aftermarket frames have a 2 race season life expectancy, before they become weak, and OEM frames last considerably longer because they are more flexible material. Is this true?:confused: