PDA

View Full Version : engine problems

EastCoast330
09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey, I got a 86 250r it has been sitting about 4 months and I finally got it back together, the problem I am having is it will run for about 15 minutes then it just cuts off, no warning or anything just dies, if I let it sit for about 10 min. it will crank backup but it does the same thing again? I checked the wiring and I'm getting a good spark. Any suggestiions on where else to start looking? maybe the carb?

Thanks for the help

wilkin250r
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
So let me understand exactly what you mean.

The quad runs for a little while, then dies. You absolutely cannot start it again right away, not matter how many times you kick it. You did check, and it IS getting spark. If you let it sit for a little while, it will start again, and the whole cycle begins again.

Do I have this right?

Try a few things. First, drain all the gas out of it, and fill with new gas. It could be bad gas. Also, make sure your air intake is clear and your filter isn't clogged.

Second, make sure you're getting fuel. If the petcock or the float valve is not flowing properly (but still flowing a little), the quad will run the float bowl dry, and then die. Then, if you let it sit, the float bowl will slowly fill up. The quad starts, runs the float bowl dry again, then dies again.

Possible problems. Try those, if it doesn't fix it, get back to us.

EastCoast330
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey Wilkin250r,

Yeah it wont start after it cuts off, I kick the hell out of it and get nothing but still get a good spark. I will give what you suggested a try and see what happens. But what you said makes sense it will sit about ten minutes and then it will crank maybe enough time to fill the bowl backup.

Thanks for the help

trx450Rrider
09-10-2004, 09:26 PM
u might not be getting air into the gas tank. check ur hose that comes out the top of the gas tank