PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse Z start clutch test!!!!

jlhughes750
09-09-2004, 11:55 AM
I was very fortunate to have hooked up with Kimmets Extreme in southern Pa. (more on them later).Their rep. Eric Findley was able to hook me up with a demo model from Rekluse. www.rekluse.com

The rekluse Z start clutch system allows the rider to focus more on the track and racing, while leaving the clutching up to the Rekluse. Basically, the Rekluse replaces the stock pressure plate with a unit similar to those in automatic ATV's. There is an adjuster on the lever to adjust stall speed and engagement rate.

I have heard awsome things from the bike crowd about this product and from what I hear there was just a killer write up about Bensons GNCC quad in the last Dirt Wheels. He uses the Rekluse Z start in his FST 450R and has been loving it.

Tonight we will be installing the Rekluse in my XC YFZ 450. We have set aside 1 hour for instalation as per the intructions. Apparently this things pretty easy to install..

I'll check back with y'all tommorow with some pics and notes on how the installation goes. Then I'll hit the track with it!!

remlapr
09-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Pappy and some others have them in their R's and really like em. But from what I understand, it doesn't really do anything when shifting from gear to gear, only prevents stalling. Shifting from gear to gear with it is just like shifting without using the clutch. On a true auto clutch like the 250ex, the shifter actually disengages the flywheel as part of the shift. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Pappy
09-09-2004, 12:17 PM
yep, running the Z start from Rekluse for about 3 months now. i love it.

C & D Racing, the site sponsor has them and can get you connected and provide support with installation if needed.

Bill Fuller
09-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Are you still able to feather the clutch for hills and turns?

Pappy
09-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Are you still able to feather the clutch for hills and turns?

if needed, but the unit works so well you probably wont feel the need to touch the clutch!

jbplayfz450
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Yall had me all fired up about a new mod, then I looked at the price and went :eek: $499.

jlhughes750
09-10-2004, 08:21 AM
$499 is a lil salty, but its a great mod!!!!!! and well worth the $.

Alright the install is done, simple, we took a few hours, cause we were really checking this part out. It could be done in 30 min. or less if need be!!! I went with the external perch adjuster for quick dial in...

Basically, lean the bike on its side, remove the quick change cover, remove the pressure plate and replace 4 stock metals plates with the 4 supplied Rekluse metal plates, reassemble with the fibers as normal!! Then install 9 spacers provided onto the clutch spring posts, install the center hub, place the 30 ball bearings in, then install the outter hub. Torgue to there recomendations and your off. The only scary part is that they send u 5 Tungston balls, and 25 steel balls, they look the same, and need to be placed every 5 spots.. If u drop them at this point your done....we marked the tungston balls black in case we droped the hub and lost them!!!;)

I installed the REKLUSE perch adjuster late last night, the kids were asleep, and even though I do live in the country on a farm, it was too late to risk the rath of the wife for waking up the kids!!!! Tonight I'll make all the adjustments and settings and take it for a rip!!!! If all is well, i'll brake it in on sat. then its off the Back MOuntain Enduro RIders for District 6 Harescramble on SUnday!!!

Bill Fuller
09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Great info keep us posted.

Splatter Matter
09-10-2004, 03:51 PM
what happens when you stop on a hill and you get off dose the quad roll away when running or motor stoped.

Shawn H
09-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Nothing happens when ya stop you can be in any gear and take off all though not wise to be in 4th or 5th and take off but it would.

Your quad does not roll away when standing still in gear. If you have your idle up high and the clutch adjusted it could creep forward.

as far as stopping on a hill and having to get off it would roll down the hill.

No need to feather the clutch with it its perfect.

I have had to adjust the cable slack but thats it and I have raced with the rekluse 5 times and never had any problems.

I have crashed and the adjuster can come out of the perch so I rigged up some cable ties to prevent that but be sure not to restrict movement of barrel.

BTW: ITS $400 FROM C&D RACING

ID-YFZracer-BE
09-10-2004, 07:17 PM
im getting one soon

jlhughes750
09-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I'll keep it simple here!! There awsome!! There un-natural, they should be illegal!! And I hope that nobody else ever gets one, only ME!!!!!!!!!

.:eek2: this things freeekin unreal!!! I took less than 5 minutes to dial in the stall speed so that I could slide it to a stop with out using the clutch then rocket back out again by just mashing the throttle.... We ran about 3 hours on sunday at our practice track. THis thing took my mind off the stall /overshooting turns part of riding and I was really able to crank it out... I have to admit,and I had witnesses unfortunatley, the rekluse made me reckless, I was going fullbore into everycorner and eventually I put er in the trees!!!:grr: ...........awsome for the woods, now out to the MX track.. our track consists of a huge step up in a turn then a few 20-40 ft. doubles, a double-double section a small steep blind double, 2 bigger 50+ doubles and 2 60+ tables.... basically u only shift from 2nd to 3rd then back again.... I was nervous as to how the bike would ballance with the Rekluse clutch. The directions said jumping and MX ing was no different than normal and they were right. As u went up steep faces and punched the gas, it never spun or got side ways, its was constantly controlling the traction and made for effortless and very controlled launches!!

I'm happy!!! No slipping at all, even with used plates!!!

later, J

Pappy
09-14-2004, 07:49 AM
welcome to the darkside j:devil:

Red50
09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
How does it work for MX.

jlhughes750
09-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Works awsome!!!!!!!

read my last post!!:D

4TraxRider
09-17-2004, 03:17 PM
You guys might have made me ignore the new plastic for this winter and get a Rekluse clutch. I was always thinking about getting one for my Z but I never knew how they worked. Maby the YFZ, will get some love soon.