PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with the CRF450 timing chains on the EX?

shamisc
09-08-2004, 10:39 PM
You guys that's been running them for a while, any problems? Mine's making a louder than valves ticking noise and I think I need a new chain. My only concern with the wider chain is wearing the guides out prematurally(sp?). Thanks for your input.

cals400ex
09-08-2004, 11:39 PM
well, make sure the valves are adjusted properly. i don't know what cam your running, but many aftermarket ones are quite a bit louder than stock. the stage 2 has been the quietest aftermarket cam i have used. my TC mx grind isn't as quite and you can clearly hear a tick, but it is definately not as loud as the stage 1 hotcam. i have had this timing chain in along with my buddy for a little while without any problems. i would also make sure your timing chain tensioner is in great working order.

UglyMotha™
09-09-2004, 09:26 AM
i've had mine in for a year now, without any probs or wierd noises i had the head off not to long ago and everything looked ok, i'll be completetly ripping the motor apart here in a month so we'll see how's she's doing then

check your timing chain tensioner, i've had one take a crap already and the chain will start making some nasty noises if that goes

how long have you been running the chain sham, i've got alot of hours on my chain and i think if somthing was goin to happen it should have happened already

shamisc
09-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I actually still have my stock chain in with a 2 year old 440. I'm wanting the CRF450 chain and just wondering how good it works. My tensioner is fine, but it sounds like I have chain slap instead of valves ticking. I've been running a webcam 489 grind for a few years now with louder than stock valves but this noise is new. I also noticed that at low rpm's my motor will stall and make a loud klunk noise. That just started recently also. Should I replace the chain guides as well? I figured so since I'm already in there. Thanks, shamisc:confused:

cals400ex
09-16-2004, 02:05 AM
i am wondering if the bike is jetted wrong? that would probably make it die and not run properly.

my buddy noticed that when they ran the oil that they are supposed to (20w-50), the ticking wasn't as bad. on my bike it didn't tick any more or less with 20-50 over 10-40. however, TC and sparks both clearly said do not run 10-40. run 20-50. or, 15-50 mobil 1 should be fine even though Tom at TC clearly said do NOT run synthetic. i have and i don't have any problems.

i would look at the chain guides. mine didn't have any wear on them so i left them. one thing to look out for is when turning the timing chain adjustor in, make sure it doesn't try and stick when you release it. it should release freely.