PDA

View Full Version : I Have No Clue What To Do Next!

m250r
09-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Ok..the motor on my 300ex will not turn over. It makes the noise like its trying to start but I dont think there is any gas getting into the engine. When i took the gas tank off i saw that the fuel valve was working correctly and that gas did come out of it. I also cleaned my air filter and it still wont start. WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

remlapr
09-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Are you saying it won't turn over, or won't fire? If it's not even turning over the crank it's not a fuel problem, it's a starter or electrical problem...

m250r
09-08-2004, 05:03 PM
It will like turn over and sound like it wants to start but the engine will not start.

speedy400
09-08-2004, 05:21 PM
spray some starter fluid in the intake with the filter off, thatd tell you if your getting the right timing and if you have spark, if it starts then you have a fuel delivery problem-darren

trx300ex rider7
09-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Same thing happened to me. So I changed the spark plug and if fired right over. It was cranking but it wouldnt start. So try the spark plug.

lil400exdude
09-08-2004, 05:27 PM
battery charged?

m250r
09-08-2004, 05:28 PM
do you think i would just be able to go to Car Parts and pick one up? how much do they cost?

hondarider2006
09-08-2004, 05:30 PM
bring your old on in and see if they can match it with a differnt brand plug, Be sure to gap it though before you run it. and why did you make 2 threads of the same problem??

m250r
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
what do you mean "gap" it? sorry about the 2 thread thing:rolleyes:

hondarider2006
09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
you have to use a feeler gauge and gap the one thing at the bottom of the plug, sorry man I just had a huge brain fart and forgot what it was called. Look in your manual, it will tell you what to gap it at;)

remlapr
09-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Just get a new NGK plug from a dealer. The starter fluid is a good idea also...

Aceman
09-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
bring your old on in and see if they can match it with a differnt brand plug, Be sure to gap it though before you run it. and why did you make 2 threads of the same problem??

You mean 3 threads?? Maybe he thinks if he fills up the whole powertrain forum with threads about his problems one of them is bound to get answered.

Anyways, try the simple fixes first. Pull the intake boot off the carb and pump the throttle. You should see gas squirt inside the carb. If not, tear the carb apart and blow air and brake cleaner through the whole thing.

Remove the spark plug and check its condition, gap, etc. If its got any buildup or anything that doesn't look right replace it. If it looks alright shove it into the spark plug boot and ground it against an engine bolt and crank the engine over a few times to verify a nice blue spark.

Also try starting your quad with the airbox lid off and the air filter removed to rule that possibility out.

m250r
09-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your help and sorry for all the threads:rolleyes:

How much is a new sparkplug gonna cost me?

JDiablo
09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
its a stator problem if nothing else works:o

440exnacsracer
09-08-2004, 07:55 PM
its a stator problem if nothing else works
not necissarily, could be cdi, wiring harness, alot of things. you could just check your spark plug now and see if its good by taking it out, putting the plug cap on and holding it against the motor while hitting the start button. be sure to hold the rubber peice only though, as you can get shocked a little. if you have a spark its fuel, if no spark, get a plug, if still no spark, take it to your dealer and get them to check out the electronics
ben

JDiablo
09-08-2004, 08:04 PM
ahh true....lol but u get shocked more then a lil...it hurts,lol

440exnacsracer
09-08-2004, 08:40 PM
ya, ive always wanted to know how BAD it really hurts. never have done it though, dont know if its a lack of stupidity or lack of bravery:D

hondarider2006
09-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
not necissarily, could be cdi, wiring harness, alot of things. you could just check your spark plug now and see if its good by taking it out, putting the plug cap on and holding it against the motor while hitting the start button. be sure to hold the rubber peice only though, as you can get shocked a little. if you have a spark its fuel, if no spark, get a plug, if still no spark, take it to your dealer and get them to check out the electronics
ben

why stop there and bring it to the dealer?? Check for power coming out of your coil, if you have power coming out than you have a bad plug wire, if your getting no power out, check for it coming in, if its coming in and not out, you have a bad coil, if you don't have anything coming in, than more than likley it will end up being your cdi. When my aftermarket one went out, it caused me to get no spark.

440exnacsracer
09-09-2004, 09:45 PM
well, he just doesnt sound like he is extremely knowledgable, and electronics are really something to learn on;)